HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Hopefully that idea is dead now.
They got it approved. They aren't changing the design. Best case scenario, it's delayed for a few years.

And we need to start accepting the blame for all this as voters. We elect these clowns, while they happily take bribes, I mean campaign donations from developers. What's really offensive is how small the donations are that buy their loyalty.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
They got it approved. They aren't changing the design. Best case scenario, it's delayed for a few years.

And we need to start accepting the blame for all this as voters. We elect these clowns, while they happily take bribes, I mean campaign donations from developers. What's really offensive is how small the donations are that buy their loyalty.
Damn.
Ottawa city hall needs a major housecleaning.

Though if you want to see a city with zero urban planning, then Manama Bahrain is a textbook example. But when your city is built on money laundering and being the playground for Saudi shit-heads..........

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:05 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

From the map comparison thread, Canada isn't as big as we think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:43 AM
The New Republic

That adjustment makes Canada look slightly smaller than the US, except we're larger.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 7:05 AM

All that archipelago km^2 adds up.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:48 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...encies_by_area

Will bother some to see that in truth we are only a smidge larger than China by KM^2.

Our maps truly do give a false sense of scale. These are a bit better.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Plus, you may not notice it at first sight, but Canada is missing parts of Québec (Montérégie, Townships, Centre-du-Québec, Chaudière-Appalaches, Bas du fleuve, Gaspésie - basically everything south of the River) plus NB, NS, [PEI just doesn't exist...] and Newfoundland.

That's equivalent to cutting New England and likely a chunk of NY State from the US's northeast, in the visual comparison of the two dark blue masses.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Plus, you may not notice it at first sight, but Canada is missing parts of Québec (Montérégie, Townships, Centre-du-Québec, Chaudière-Appalaches, Bas du fleuve, Gaspésie - basically everything south of the River) plus NB, NS, [PEI just doesn't exist...] and Newfoundland.

That's equivalent to cutting New England and likely a chunk of NY State from the US's northeast, in the visual comparison of the two dark blue masses.
They're there, just floating by themselves in the western north Atlantic.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:08 PM
Starring as himself

All these years I've been cartographically oppressed by Canada's inferiority to Greenland, and only now do I learn that we're actually much larger.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They're there, just floating by themselves in the western north Atlantic.
Of course I realize now it wasn't clear in my post that I knew that. I just meant that visually, when you look at Canada's "mainland" and compare it to the USA's, there's a not insignificant chunk missing.

(On the other coast, Vancouver Island is also floating alone, getting its size reduction centered on itself rather than following Canada's mainland while shrinking.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
All these years I've been cartographically oppressed by Canada's inferiority to Greenland, and only now do I learn that we're actually much larger.
Trump thought Greenland was a much better deal back when he thought it was as big as South America

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:15 PM

Crazy how understated Africa's size is on regular mercator projections. Or I guess it's more accurate to say, how overstated Asia and North America are. Mainland USA and Canada can practically fit into the Sahara Desert alone.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:32 PM

Oh fuck all this noise over the Mercator projection.

This is the one field where I can say I really know what I am talking about. (SFU GIS graduate)

There is no great conspiracy to make Africa looks small / racial conspiracy etc...

Simple fact is the Earth is geoid. It is impossible to represent a 3D object on a 2D image without distortion.

Now, there are many projection, as demonstrated above, but every projection must distort one (or two) of the following: direction, shape, scale.

The Mercator projection has been preferred because it retains direction and to an extent shape. This is by far the most important for most industries. Try navigating the seas with a map that distorts direction, especially prior to GPS.

That’s it, that’s why it is such a common map.

Tired of this fucking conspiracy argument.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:34 PM
The New Republic

^^ Agree 100%. The only people who get confused and/or think it's a conspiracy are uneducated people. 50% of the population? It shouldn't always be a race to the bottom to explain things that they should have learned in grade school.

Quote:
Based on that gif, you could fit it all inside Hudson's Bay. If you do so Canada and the Lower 48 look the same size but then you have to add Alaska. It looks slightly off to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...encies_by_area

Will bother some to see that in truth we are only a smidge larger than China by KM^2.

Surely all Canadians know that already? Grade 6 geography teaches kids that Canada is 2nd largest to Russia but it also teaches kids that Canada, China, and the US are pretty much all the same size. It's not like the sq km isn't shown to everyone.

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 8, 2020 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Any country that encompasses six time zones and takes you a full week to drive across is still a freakin' big country, no matter what projection technique your atlas uses..........

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Crazy how understated Africa's size is on regular mercator projections. Or I guess it's more accurate to say, how overstated Asia and North America are. Mainland USA and Canada can practically fit into the Sahara Desert alone.
A reminder that Africa is huge.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Any country that encompasses six time zones and takes you a full week to drive across is still a freakin' big country, no matter what projection technique your atlas uses..........
Took me 3.5 days. Within 4 days I could have entered the Maritimes if I'd wanted to.

Also, it's partly a consequence of our road network sucking. (It doesn't take a week to drive from Miami to Seattle.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 7:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
They just shrunk each shape and that eastern chunk was separated by water, with the St. Lawrence meeting the US border at one point. They should have shrunk all of the parts of Canada as a whole.

It shows how much our borders favour the US. The Lower Mainland's population is probably 90% Canadian but they got a chunk of it. The St. Lawrence River is similar but then the US got one little southern bank. There's practically nothing in Northern Maine and it would have been useful to Canada for travel purposes but the US got it.

Similarly they have a weird protrusion running halfway down what should be Canada's Pacific coast. No doubt a part of the Alaska Purchase but had the situation been reversed I doubt the US would have tolerated a border like that.

Part of the issue is that Canada wasn't even much of a coherent country until the late 1800's. So people in the eastern populated half of Canada did not care about the Alaska Purchase and even the Maritimes didn't care so much about Northern Maine (with land connections to Quebec and Ontario being far down the list of priorities). Meanwhile the US was campaigning for a large cohesive territory even in the early 1800's. On top of that Canada was under British control so even when it did conquer territories (this happened to part of Maine) due to local/regional initiatives they'd often just get traded back after in exchange for something somewhere else in the empire. That trading is part of what drove the American colonies to revolt against Britain.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 7:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Took me 3.5 days. Within 4 days I could have entered the Maritimes if I'd wanted to.

Also, it's partly a consequence of our road network sucking. (It doesn't take a week to drive from Miami to Seattle.)
My seven day time frame assumed a trip from St. John's to Victoria.

The trip from St. John's to NB is another two full days added on to the trip........

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 8:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
trump thought greenland was a much better deal back when he thought it was as big as south america
mdr (lol)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada