HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 12:50 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I beg to differ on that one.
I can remember it taking an hour to get from Hurley's Sports Coliseum while driving down Bank Street. And then sitting in a cold car for an hour while waiting to get out of the parking lot after the game.

The parking lot situation at the Canadian Tire Center could be fixed by a couple of pedestrian bridges but there's no fix for the lack of ways in and out of Landsdowne.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
TD Place hasn't demonstrated anything other than people will put up with a bad location if there's enough hype. Going to see minor league football during summer weekends is not the same as a weeknight winter hockey game.

Going to see Senators games at Landsdowne was far more painful than off of the 417. The 67's are hurting at the box office because they no longer have lots of parking.

That being said, Lebreton is a better option than Landsdowne, which is a stupid place to put a major sports facility due to lack of highway access and rapid transit, since at least Lebreton isn't pinned in by two 2 lane roads.
I think that you've outed yourself as someone only considering the perspective of a suburban driver (and I suspect a west end one at that.) A lot of assumptions here.

The 67s box office issues are a lot more complicated than something that can be blamed on lack of parking. There are way more factors at play than that. Attendance had already been sliding before they moved, they lost most of their season ticket base when they went to Kanata, the team has been beyond terrible, OSEG marketed soccer and football at the expense of hockey, their community programs got lost in the shuffle, and they jacked up ticket and concession prices way above the OHL average price when they came back. Need I go on? As they build things back up, we'll see how much of a detriment the parking situation is. And by the way, there is plenty of parking for the crowds they have been getting.

TD Place has certainly demonstrated that it is certainly possible to get 24,000 people in and out of a central location in far less time than it takes to clear the CTC parking lot. And it also shows that people are willing to consider alternatives for "minor league football" as you put it, which would certainly mean that they would be even more likely to consider those alternatives for a much bigger draw like the NHL.

Lebreton is likely better than Lansdowne because of the LRT, but otherwise the sites are really quite similar.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
I can remember it taking an hour to get from Hurley's Sports Coliseum while driving down Bank Street. And then sitting in a cold car for an hour while waiting to get out of the parking lot after the game.

The parking lot situation at the Canadian Tire Center could be fixed by a couple of pedestrian bridges but there's no fix for the lack of ways in and out of Landsdowne.
The problem with the CTC is that 90% of fans drive to the venue, which is located at one end of the City. A couple of pedestrian bridges will never fix that issue.

Lansdowne transportation has been working like a charm, so I'm not sure what there is to "fix".

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 3:07 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
The problem with the CTC is that 90% of fans drive to the venue, which is located at one end of the City. A couple of pedestrian bridges will never fix that issue.
The problem with the CTC is that traffic heading out of the parking lots in front of the building gets delayed due to pedestrians crossing Palladium Drive to get to the parking lots over there.

Quote:
Lansdowne transportation has been working like a charm, so I'm not sure what there is to "fix".
It's worked so well that the 67's had to lower ticket and parking prices because of low attendance at Landsdowne. Even lower than last season at CTC.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:32 AM

Quote:

The Driveway.

YEs, I know, NCC blah blah blah. Abolish the bastards. problem solved.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
It's worked so well that the 67's had to lower ticket and parking prices because of low attendance at Landsdowne. Even lower than last season at CTC.
Ya, and it will probably work now. OSEG made the mistake of treating the 67's like the Redblacks. Higher ticket pricing, scarce parking, and transit-based movements work well for a high value product like the Redblacks, not so much for a lower value product like the 67s. The Sens are a high value product, so the Redblacks approach should work well for them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:09 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC board acquiescence to political masters could ruin the Hill

Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 21, 2015, Last Updated: January 21, 2015 6:55 PM EST

We are a little past the halfway point in Mayor Jim Watson and Foreign Minister John Baird’s 100-day truce on the very public disagreement the city and the federal government’s National Capital Commission have been waging over a tiny part of the proposed route for the western LRT expansion.

So far, so good.

“We’ve agreed during the 100 days to not comment on the progress of our discussions, but I think I can go as far to say that we have a positive feeling that we’re working well with the city, and vice versa,” the NCC’s chief executive, Mark Kristmanson, told reporters after Tuesday’s board meeting.

Who knows what will come of all this behind-the-scenes goodwill, if anything? The 100 days isn’t up until March. But it’s gratifying to think that officials are working hard to solve their differences, especially as both sides have legitimate arguments.

The city aims to build this light-rail route as affordably as possible and argues that doing it the NCC’s way will cost hundreds of millions more. The NCC is concerned about preserving federal land and green space for all Canadians.

Which is as it should be. You don’t have to agree with the NCC to appreciate that it must take its role in planning the capital region seriously.

If only the NCC board dealt with all its land-use duties so responsibly.

At the same time it’s rightly squaring off with the city over what amounts to running a train for 500 metres along the southern side of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway, the NCC has acquiesced to pressure from within the federal government over a highly dubious plan for a prominent, 5,000-square-metre property on Wellington Street, next to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The site is to be the new home of the increasingly controversial Memorial to the Victims of Communism. Since the 1920s, the property has been designated in government documents as the future location of a new building for the Federal Court of Canada. Until, that is, Public Works simply allocated the current site to Tribute to Liberty, the private charity behind the proposed the memorial.

The NCC board of directors unanimously approved the change in November 2013 without officially conferring with the NCC’s own advisory committee on planning, design and realty, which had reservations about the use of the site. When the committee did officially pronounce on the project in mid-2014, it judged the location totally inappropriate for the memorial, and it didn’t think much of the winning design by Toronto-based ABSTRACT Studio Architecture.

The NCC’s planning committee is chaired by the renowned Canadian urban planner Larry Beasley, who told Maclean’s magazine earlier this month that his committee told the government that “the chosen site was not a good site, and that it was needed for a higher priority government purpose over the next few years.”

So what did everyone do with this expert planning advice? Ignored it, evidently. The NCC board, which is expressly mandated to oversee the planning of the capital, failed to solicit, and later heed, its own planning and design committee. Instead, it voted with the government.

And thus we come back to our age-old question: Why do we have the NCC if its politically appointed board members are just going to do the bidding of the government of the day?

Making all this even worse is the fact that the NCC had already reserved a much more suitable site for the proposed Memorial to Victims of Communism on Wellington Street just west of Bay Street. But that location was apparently not prominent enough for the Tribute to Liberty charity.

The Department of Canadian Heritage, which is in overseeing the monument project, previously told the Citizen that the current site “was deemed more favourable” by Tribute to Liberty because of its proximity and “thematic links” to the Supreme Court of Canada, the Peace Tower, Parliament Hill and Library and Archives Canada.

So we’re going to plan the capital based on what a private charity wants, as opposed to respecting the opinions of professional planners we’ve recruited from across the country for the express purpose of bringing design sensitivity to the capital region?

The decision to put the memorial on such a prominent parliamentary location is unconscionable. Yet hardly a murmur in this much-too-polite town has been raised.

Some have tried, including architect Barry Padolsky in his letter of protest that first sounded the alarm on this file. And the Citizen’s Don Butler reported that even one of the judges for the memorial’s design competition has a “massive problem” with the chosen site.

Shirley Blumberg, a founding partner of KPMB Architects of Toronto who was part of the jury, told Butler that the site is “inappropriate” and “is so centrally placed that it would seem to quite overshadow Canada’s true history.”

We’ve completely lost our perspective, waging a battle royale with the NCC for what amounts to minor LRT route change while the permanent ruination of a superb 5,000-square-metre public space near Parliament Hill is going mostly unmentioned.

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-col-chianello

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:39 AM

Quote:
The problem with the CTC is that traffic heading out of the parking lots in front of the building gets delayed due to pedestrians crossing Palladium Drive to get to the parking lots over there.

I think you are vastly over-simplifying these issues. Pedestrian crossing is far from the only problem with transportation to CTC. Traffic backs up on its own - pedestrian crossing just delays cars from getting to the next backup.

In terms of Lansdowne, I was referring to the transportation for the Redblacks, not the 67s. That set up managed to clear 24,000 fans from the site much faster than the allegedly superior CTC set up does.

And as I covered in detail in my previous post, it is disingenuous to suggest that transportation is the only reason for the lower in 67s attendance. Its also very misleading to make a blanket statement that attendance is lower at Lansdowne than it was at the CTC. If you only take averages, attendance will possibly be lower, but the CTC attendance was skewed by a few large crowds and was bolstered by ticket giveaways. Lansdowne has only 6000 seats, so you aren't getting those occasional outlier crowds, and the giveaways have been eliminated. In any event, crowds are trending upwards as people get used to the new set up, so a fair comparison can only be made at the end of the year.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:04 AM

The Act clearly gives cabinet the power to overrule the NCC on such decisions, so it would be rather pointless for the NCC to try to block it even if they thought the land should be reserved in perpetuity for the tax court.

12.2 (1) Where the Commission does not give its approval to a proposal made under section 12 or 12.1, the Governor in Council may give such approval and any such approval given by the Governor in Council shall, for the purposes of that section, be deemed to have been given by the Commission.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...age-5.html#h-7

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 2:29 PM

Well I wrote to Galipeau and still hearing crickets. This monument needs to be stopped!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
Well I wrote to Galipeau and still hearing crickets. This monument needs to be stopped!
It does, but given the current political climate and the construction start date it will never be stopped. It is very very dissappointing not only that the location is terrible for Canada, but also its existence at all.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
Same here. He's been my MP for 4 years (at least until the redrawn boundaries take affect.) He has never once gotten back to me. Not even with a generic form letter or email. We still get his useless ten percenter in the mail every month though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:44 PM

nit: if he's your MP, that's not a 10%-er, that's his regular newsletter. The 10% thing is that MPs are allowed to spend up to 10% of their postal budget for mailings outside of their riding.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
nit: if he's your MP, that's not a 10%-er, that's his regular newsletter. The 10% thing is that MPs are allowed to spend up to 10% of their postal budget for mailings outside of their riding.
Probably. His newsletter is still just partisan tripe full of CPC talking points. It never mentions what my MP does in the community. I doubt he even has a say in the flyer at all.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:19 PM

Those flyers very rarely have anything substantial in them, regardless of the MP(P). Madelleine Meilleur's one (my MPP) is pretty good and has lots of stuff about the community, but most of the other ones I've seen from all parties are kinda crap.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
It does, but given the current political climate and the construction start date it will never be stopped. It is very very dissappointing not only that the location is terrible for Canada, but also its existence at all.
It's already behind schedule. If the election is in October as planned, it'll still be in a cancellable state.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:52 PM

Madelaine Meilleur is one of the few people who actually get out and contribute to the community, not to mention one of the only ones who speaks her mind regardless of what her party or former allies (Watson) have to say.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
No. Sending 10%ers was always supposed to be about an MP communicating within the riding, but the lack of a rule prohibiting sending them outside was abused, to the tune of 10s of millions of dollars, mainly by the Conservatives.

Since 2010 (I think), the rule was changed, so that now an MP can only send 10%ers to their own ridings. That's on top of the fancier "householder" newsletters.

Editing to add this link:

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/politics...aled-back.html

Last edited by Uhuniau; Jan 22, 2015 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Linkeroo

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:09 PM

It's seems you're right, the rule was changed. mea culpa. Also I learned that the name is not in reference to percentage of the budget that can be spent on the mailings; it's that the number of mailings that a Member can send in addition to his/her newsletters is up to 10% of the population of the Member's riding.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
It's already behind schedule. If the election is in October as planned, it'll still be in a cancellable state.
IS IT!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues