HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 4:09 PM

Relocation? No:

Source: GC Carling campus initiative Backgrounder

Quote:
In addition to the Carling Campus, the remaining office facilities in the region will include:

Gatineau (Quebec):

the Louis St. Laurent Building at 555 Boulevard de la Carrière & a building at 455 Boulevard de la Carrière;
241 Boulevard Cité-des-Jeunes;
parts of the National Printing Bureau at 45 Sacré-Coeur Boulevard; and
Hôtel de Ville at 105 Hôtel de Ville Street.
Ottawa (Ontario):

offices in a downtown location (101 Colonel By Drive);
offices for arm's-length organizations, such as the National Defence Ombudsman and Military Police Complaints Commission; and
4210 Labelle; and
NDHQ operational elements will continue to be located at 1600 Star Top Road.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 8:29 PM

With the partial collapse of Louis St-Laurent's roof last week, the list might change a bit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOttawa View Post
Very unlikely, but it would be very cool if they recladded it to match the canal side and resurrected the plaza idea from a few years back (minus LRT of course).

I think about that Rideau-Sussex plaza idea every time I walk through that underpass. I hope it still happens. Too bad it won't have the subway entrance. It would've an amazing experience to take the train downtown and come out at that plaza at one of the most vibrant intersections in the city.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 11:27 PM
Still optimistic

Like an over-watered plant, I'm not certain that more open space is what that place needs. There's the plaza just across Rideau as well a plethora (if not a plague) of places, plazas and patches of grass stretching from Sussex to Sparks. I think that we'd do better to extend the built-up fabric of Rideau/Market towards downtown with a new building beside the old station to make the transition from Uppertown to Lowertown more natural (or at least less jarring). I still think it'd be a dynamite location for the new library, but I'd honestly settle for anything with appropriate architecture and active street frontage.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 5:03 PM

There are utilities under the canal, which is why the LRT tunnel goes so deep below the canal. If a rail tunnel was needed to the old station then putting it under Colonel By might be a much better plan, much like the NCC is already willing to do with SJAM. And utilities shouldn't be a problem. Any that are running underneath and parallel to Colonel By could probably be moved laterally a few meters, and any crossing underneath Colonel By also need to clear the bottom of the canal, which is much lower than street level so probably provide sufficient space for a rail tunnel.

That said, I think the points about reversing out, and future HSR are well made. I think we should encourage the city to grow more density around the existing station, effectively making it more "central". And find an awesome public use for the old station.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 11:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC offers first public glimpse of plans for renovated Government Conference Centre

Don Butler, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 28, 2016 | Last Updated: June 28, 2016 6:28 PM EDT

The renovated Government Conference Centre will get a stunning new facade on its planned east addition, finally eliminating an ugly bare wall that has disfigured its beauty for generations.

When the former Union Station was built in 1912, the east wall abutted an existing hotel, long since demolished. As a result it was left unadorned, unlike the rest of the striking Beaux Arts building.

But when the building reopens in September 2018 as the Senate’s temporary home, it will sport a new facade, meant as a modern complement to the classical colonnade found on the building’s canal side, said Thierry Montpetit, the project’s director at Public Services and Procurement Canada.

The new facade was just one of many features of the renovated Conference Centre revealed publicly for the first time at Tuesday’s meeting of the National Capital Commission’s board, which later gave the project design approval.

Here’s a closer look at the project:

Tab and timetable

Renovating the Conference Centre makes up “a major component” of the total $269-million cost of relocating the Senate for a decade while repairs are made to Parliament’s Centre Block.

The project is on budget and on schedule, Montpetit said, though he admitted the timetable was very tight. “It’s going to be a rush, but we are going to make it.”

Key additions

“It’s all about making this building more accessible, more functional,” Montpetit said. Until now, the building has been something of a maze inside. Getting from the front to the back, or from the ground floor to a higher level, has been a challenge.

The east addition will include elevator banks and staircases to connect the building’s north and south blocks, a loading dock and underground service connections.

There will also be a new mechanical penthouse. “Everything we’re doing is really to interconnect, to bring up floor levels so that everyone can appreciate the building in its splendour,” Montpetit said.

Restoring the glory

“This is an absolutely stunning building on the inside,” said Christopher Hoyt, a senior NCC architect. But its pedigree has been obscured by what Montpetit called “a lot of unfortunate alterations” made in the 1970s.

Those will be removed, opening the building up and allowing its natural beauty to shine through.

“For us, it’s an opportunity to give back this building to the people of Ottawa,” Montpetit said. “You’ll finally be able to appreciate the building in all its glory.”

Public access

When the building reopens in September 2018, the public will be able to sign up for tours. (It has been largely inaccessible since it became a Conference Centre in the 1970s.)

“We’re all aware that this is a very, very special building for the people of Ottawa,” said Montpetit. “We’ve worked very closely with the Library of Parliament to make sure that the tour component of the facility will work.”

Public access will be from Confederation Square, with the Senate entrance on the opposite side, facing Col. By Drive.

Life after the Senate

When the Senators decamp around 2028 to return to the renovated Centre Block, the Conference Centre will again become a meeting space. But it will be a much better place for meetings and conferences, said Montpetit.

“Very early on we made sure the investments we made for the Senate home were fully leveraged in the future. And we’re confident that it works quite well.”

What’s next

Work on the existing building’s structural components should be finished by September, with the east addition completed a year later. Work should be substantially complete by March 2018, with Senators sitting in their red chairs by September of that year.

dbutler@postmedia.com
twitter.com/ButlerDon

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ference-centre

Last edited by rocketphish; Jun 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:25 AM
Closed account

I love the modern colonnade, but the interior renovations are a little plain and ordinary. I still dream of it becoming a new central library

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:42 AM

Happy to see the terrible Trudeau extension in the back gone, love the treatment of the blank wall (though a new building the scale of the Cory Block would have been even better). Wish they would have demolished the 5th floor and restored the round skylight, though the copper roof hiding the addition is still a nice touch (not visible on the renderings but quite clear when walking by).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I love the modern colonnade, but the interior renovations are a little plain and ordinary. I still dream of it becoming a new central library
Well, if it is to become available only after 2028, the timing could be ideal.....

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Well, if it is to become available only after 2028, the timing could be ideal.....
I wouldn't be surprised if both the spare senate and spare house are retained to house parallel chambers, like Australia and the UK have. Once the space is more usable (it was ok last time I was in the conference portion in the later 2000s but not great, certainly the circulation space didn't support all the rooms being used near simultaneously, and you had to pay for the incremental security, so even for government clients it was a lot of the time cheaper to set up elsewhere) the government will find uses for it.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
NCC offers first public glimpse of plans for renovated Government Conference Centre

It looks good but I would have really liked to see an even bigger addition (with an animated ground level) extending into the space currently occupied by the overpass, with removal of the overpass and a redesign of Rideau/Sussex/Colonel By at the same time.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:53 PM

I like the renovations, especially on that blank wall.

Now if only they could fix up that intersection instead of that dead walkway and the "amazing race" underpass which I'm scared is where I'll be found dead one day...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I like the renovations, especially on that blank wall.

Now if only they could fix up that intersection instead of that dead walkway and the "amazing race" underpass which I'm scared is where I'll be found dead one day...
Roundabout would be nice, it could get rid of a lot of the extra lanes.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 12:53 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

You know, it doesn't really matter what we think about the new look... what really matters is what the complainers residents of 700 Sussex think

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:53 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

With Diamond Schmitt also doing the NAC renewal, you can really see the similarity in treatment.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 10:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's old conference centre is slowly becoming the Senate

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 21, 2016 | Last Updated: October 21, 2016 6:21 PM EDT

You have to use your imagination, but already a visitor can see the new home of the Senate taking shape in the bare concrete, exposed ducts and water drips that were once the Government Conference Centre.

In not quite two years — September of 2018 — it will begin 10 years of service as the Red Chamber, with a lot of Senate offices, committee rooms and a public gallery.

But to get there, a renovation team has to strip everything down to its 1912 origins — when it was the city’s train station — and build it back up.

“We started to discover things that we hadn’t quite expected,” said Thierry Montpetit, senior director of the Parliament Precinct Branch at Public Services and Procurement Canada. “We had planned to be surprised, but there were even more surprises.”

The original plans, it turns out, are a blend of truth and fiction.

The train station was built in only two and a half years — a real achievement, Montpetit says, “but they took shortcuts. There was a difference between what was on paper and what was actually done.”

The original station had no heating system, no insulation and no ventilation.

“If it was cold you lit the fire and put on a fur coat.”

In the 1960s the trains stopped coming downtown and went instead to Tremblay Road. The downtown station was slated for demolition.

But a funny thing happened. Our train station was modelled on Pennsylvania Station in New York City, and when that was demolished in 1963 the people of New York were outraged. Suddenly there was a movement to save Ottawa’s train station, a Beaux-Arts structure in contrast to all the Gothicness of Parliament Hill.

Presto, a conference centre was born. With heating.

But it wouldn’t do for the Senate, Montpetit said. It was “a rat’s maze” — inefficient, hard to get around, and converted to its new use “very haphazardly and ad hoc.”

Drywall covered wainscotting and mouldings, and stipple “like you would put in your basement” covered the ornate ceilings.

This turned out to be good news for the renovation team. When they removed the 1960s reno work they found much of the original material still in place. There hadn’t been enough time or money to remove it.

“We found a lot of this in good shape,” said Martin Davidson of Diamond Schmitt Architects and KWC Architects.

That means you’ll soon see a more wide-open interior with wood-framed (restored) windows, stone floors that were covered 30 to 40 centimetres deep by 1960s flooring, and vaulted plaster ceilings.

The northeast corner will be new, made of stone and containing an elevator. And a new facade along the east side will be stone also, with glass windows above.

Stone appeared to be too expensive until the team found it was possible to cut the stone offsite and mount it on precast concrete slabs, which could then be mounted much faster than stone alone. Time on this job is crucial. Everything has to be ready for the first Speech from the Throne after September of 2018.

The budget is $269 million and Montpetit thinks it will finish under budget.

“We’re in the middle of a resurgence in the capital,” Montpetit said. He called the old train station “part of a cultural landscape, a national landscape” that once saw soldiers leave for war and return years later, and that welcomed Winston Churchill, the Emperor of Japan, and Elvis Presley.

“At the same time, common people also arrived here,” he said. “This was their gateway… There’s a tremendous emotional attachment to this building.”

“What’s great about this building is the monumentality and the scale,” he said.

“This is a high-drama space.”

VIDEO

tspears@postmedia.com
twitter.com/TomSpears1

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ing-the-senate

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 4:36 PM

What are they going to do with this once the Senate moves out?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 5:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
What are they going to do with this once the Senate moves out?
Hopefully there is an uproar from the residents of the City and the grand Union Station hall portion of the building (at least) can be turned over to public use, including an LRT entrance to Rideau Station.

I would also have loved to see the Ottawa Public Library in there, but I think that ship has sailed.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 5:35 PM

I would bet it is retained as Parliamentary office and meeting space. Perhaps for a parallel chamber. If not, it would revert to the wider public works which I am sure would love more modern conference space they don't have to rent and security clear. Heck, even moving the PMO there would probably work, or at least retaining the options to use it as a new head of government appropriate event space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa