HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

The Waves in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mumbai Skyscraper Diagram

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 10:34 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
MUMBAI | Waves | Height | 80 FLOORS

Waves -- Mumbai, India

One of India's up-and coming architects, Sanjay Puri, graduates into the big leagues with this beautiful residential skyscraper crowning one side of Mumbai's Worli seafront.

According to World Architecture News:
Quote:
The building form is derived from the outline of the crests of the waves of the sea. Linear undulating balconies traverse the length of this residential apartment building offering unrestricted views of the sea to each of the apartments.

Four blocks with apartments varying from 2000 sq.ft. to 6000 sq. ft are connected together rising from 40 storeys towards the land end up to 80 storeys towards the sea front. The fluid balcony decks that undulate along the length extend further out at upper levels to create sky gardens overlooking the sea.

The tower is significant not only because of its size, but its location. It will be built in Worli, one of Mumbai's most expensive neighborhoods, on a piece of land jutting out into the Indian Ocean that will soon be spanned Mumbai's massive Bandra-Worli Sealink project:

The sealink will literally go right beside the building, to be built on the peninsula jutting outward in the model below:

Here is a two month old picture of the sealink u/c. I've highlighted the area where the tower will come up:

What's also interesting is that the peninsula is literally a fishing village that Mumbai sort of grew around. There is incredible potential for redevelopment of the area in the next coming years, which the size and height of this tower attests to. Even now, there are 65 x 2, 45, 40, 38 x 2, 36, 35 x 3 and 30 storey buildings all under construction in virtually the same area, again on only a small fraction of the total redevelopable land. Also of note, at the end of the peninsula is Worli Fort, built by the British in 1675, which will soon be restored to its former glory.

The tower is Mumbai's third supertall tower to come out of nowhere in one year, and represents Mumbai's incredible potential now, finally, being realized.

Cheers,
Jai

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Last edited by Jai; Dec 24, 2007 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 11:11 AM

Supertall? This is gonna be over 1k feet?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 11:38 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

80 floors + 2 storey podium with reported ceiling heights to be "higher than standard*" (which in India is 3.5 meters), I figure breaking the 1000 ft mark to be a reasonable estimate. If not, its pretty darn close anyway.

*Rumors of a massive sea-facing tower by Sanjay Puri have been going around for at least a year. In a number of articles in Constructionworld and other print media, he's stressed the need for high ceiling heights to maximize sea views and to gain FSI

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 12:30 PM
BANNED

ummm... a REALLY bad AQUA rip-off, anyone??

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 1:18 PM
+

Hideous.

Perfect for Mumbai.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 4:19 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

It not even that much of a rip of...its just...horrible imo. It looks like a tumor of carribean resort architecture. I don't really see hot it fits in Mumbai.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 5:56 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

^ It's definately going to stick out

I honestly don't think it will look too bad. It largely depends on the actual color and materials used, methinks. It does have the possibility to turn hideous if not pulled off correctly. I wish there was a profile shot of the building.

Quote:
Perfect for Mumbai.
Ever actually been, bro?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 7:06 PM

It's organic as in "organic architecture". I like it! It reminds me of the work of Antonio Gaudi, Bertrand Goldberg, Paolo Soleri...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 6:49 AM

Yeah, Aqua is what I imediately thought of. But it's too busy, too much going on.

The projections of some of those balconies are incrediby large. I would think that a concrete slab would be too heavy to extend that far out without support.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 11:01 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post

Looks like it could actually work in that picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
ummm... a REALLY bad AQUA rip-off, anyone??

Yeah, I though that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
But it's too busy, too much going on.
Yeah, I knew something was wrong, thanks for pointing it out. There are too many balconies in this building. Just makes it look bad. Well, if you look at the small balconies "inside" the large balconies in this picture they look wavy and kinda cool:

The building wouldn't look as bad if the building was divided into several towers instead of one. Three towers would be nice, just divide the building so that each tower has a 1 column of large balconies and it would be o.k.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 4:37 PM
Baryonic Lord

I like it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 9:06 PM

Ewww, the architect is like the kid who copies others in class and even does so incorrectly. This looks like a very horrible simplistic aqua.....

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 12:05 AM

I think in profile this proposal looks pretty neat. It would unfortunately be quite an imposing wall of concrete when looking at it face on. Exceptionally wide slab towers are pretty disrespectful in my opinion, not at all neighbourly. I do like the undulating wave effect of the facade and the fenestration accentuates its verticality quite nicely. It is a testament to the current state of art in concrete forming that all those round edges are even possible.

However I am very critical of how this building meets the street. The blank wall of the podium is hideous and whatever merit the rest of the building has is lost by being so disrespectful to the pedestrian experience. It's shockingly bad.

Fix the podium and use high quality mullion-free glazing and a good concrete treatment and you've got a winner.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 6, 2008 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 12:16 AM

Doesn't India (yes, making a generalization), have the unfortunate, yet earned reputation for ripping off the creativity of others? I don't believe that I am out of line here.

Last edited by EarlyBuyer; Jan 6, 2008 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
Doesn't India (yes, making a generalization), have the unfortunate, yet earned reputation for ripping of the creativity of others? I don't believe that I am out of line here.
That's China. Architecture, intellectual property, automobile designs, industrial technology, you name it. It's the foundation of their economy, and planned that way by the government (the reason foreign firms aren't allowed to do business without a local partner is to enable that local partner to steal technology).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 1:38 AM

Classy, exotic and memorable, though it has a bit of that retro feel. Overall, I like.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 5:41 AM

hey I like, definitely beats a Fort Lauderdale blah condo

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:23 AM
Up Up and Away

Hmm, it looks pretty busy.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 9:24 PM
Endless Moments...

Its to much. I am over it...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:42 PM
Don't tase me, Bro!

The tower itself isn't too bad, but the base is hideous. It was clearly an afterthought to the tower itself. An almost completely solid, two-story wall is not at all what I'd call pedestrian friendly.

Overall, I'm not a fan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive