HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 7:31 PM

Looking like Windsor is going to finally get a much needed comprehensive stormwater management upgrade in the east end.

It's going to be $89.3M over 10 years, starting in 2019.

The plan involves the replacement of sewers, upgrading some pumping stations, and rebuilding a few roads. The city is applying for $32.1M from the Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 11:17 AM

More good news for the west end of DT, $45M residential project for seniors planned for long vacant property.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...st-of-downtown

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1459361

Last edited by north 42; Aug 15, 2018 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 11:04 AM

Another redevelopment resulting from the city’s DT CIP. This part of Ouellette Ave. really needs some investment, and the new streetscaping should bring on more interest over time.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...downtown-block

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...-tax-1.4893328

Last edited by north 42; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:20 PM

Very happy to see Valente’s Ouellette development going through and even expanded after it was almost cancelled because of the Mission move!

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...wntown-project

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 2:03 PM

A ‘catalyst’ for the core - Double Tree by Hilton takes over former downtown Radisson Hotel

Also mention of a new 24 to 30 story residential downtown highrise on Riverside Dr. that is in the works.

https://beta.windsorstar.com/news/lo...12a81f14e/amp/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:59 PM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

Doesn't look like this was mentioned here when it was first announced but the proposal has increased in scope since then anyway.

It appears that Farhi is finally about to do something with the former GM Trim plant land by the WFCU Centre. Or he says he's about to anyway.

"'Massive' 543-home project starts this fall at former GM Trim site"

http://archive.is/F3yY3

"There will be 101 building lots for single family homes, seven condo/apartment buildings with a total of 442 units, plus commercial buildings and possibly a hotel"

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:45 PM

Look like no one mentioned this yet but they are building a huge health complex at the former Grace hospital site. It's so strange. Huge projects coming out of Windsor now.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...mer-grace-site

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
Doesn't look like this was mentioned here when it was first announced but the proposal has increased in scope since then anyway.

It appears that Farhi is finally about to do something with the former GM Trim plant land by the WFCU Centre. Or he says he's about to anyway.

"There will be 101 building lots for single family homes, seven condo/apartment buildings with a total of 442 units, plus commercial buildings and possibly a hotel"
Farhi huh? I believe that when I see it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 3:38 AM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

Quote:

Further info... AM800 has a photo of the Farhi development concept's footprint

Their story also has Farhi proclaiming that he wants to build a 25 to 30 story tower of predominantly residential units at the corner of Riverside and Janette. The city is apparently in talks to move the main library branch there as well.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 12:30 AM

^Sounds like a potential new tallest for Windsor. Very cool. Has there been any recent news on the Doubletree hotel?

FCA Opens R&D Center in Windsor, Touted as Most Advanced Driving Simulator in North America

Quote:
Auburn Hills-based Fiat Chrysler Automobiles opened a new vehicle dynamics simulator lab Wednesday at its Automotive Research and Development Centre in Windsor that the automaker says features the most advanced driving simulator technology available in North America.

“Our new VDS is cutting-edge technology that emulates a vehicle’s driving dynamics in a real time, virtual environment,” says Tony Mancina, head of engineering for FCA Canada. “This new technology offers the driver a customized virtual immersion that replicates the ride and handling of a specific vehicle on a multitude of simulated road surfaces and driving environments.”

Most driving simulators use six actuators to deliver six “degrees of freedom.” To more accurately reproduce vehicle ride, handling, and acceleration characteristics, the FCA VDS system uses nine actuators to create additional ranges of motion that create a closer immersion to an actual vehicle.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Further info... AM800 has a photo of the Farhi development concept's footprint

Their story also has Farhi proclaiming that he wants to build a 25 to 30 story tower of predominantly residential units at the corner of Riverside and Janette. The city is apparently in talks to move the main library branch there as well.
CBC News Windsor reported that he also intends to build a mixed use hotel/condo tower on Riverside Dr. and Church St. as well as a twin tower proposal at Riverside Dr. and Janette Ave. across from the first 25 to 30 story proposal, not really sure how that will work though.
Hopefully they all get built as the city desperately needs more new residential downtown.

Last edited by north 42; Oct 3, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 6:54 AM

A 16-storey residential building was announced over a year ago around the area of Victoria Ave. and University Ave. but I've heard nothing about it since.

Rents are skyrocketing in Windsor (a 15% increase over last year...the highest in Canada) and I read somewhere that the downtown residential vacancy rate is pretty much 0% right now.

Given these numbers you have to assume that other developers are going to get moving soon. Hopefully someone is willing to take a risk and do something with the vacant lots in the Aylmer Ave. and Chatham St. area. The city has offered so many incentives to turn that neighbourhood around but nobody has bit on it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 2:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/windsors...-8eaf80dc6645/

Nice to see the work on the new crossing in full swing

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
A 16-storey residential building was announced over a year ago around the area of Victoria Ave. and University Ave. but I've heard nothing about it since.

Rents are skyrocketing in Windsor (a 15% increase over last year...the highest in Canada) and I read somewhere that the downtown residential vacancy rate is pretty much 0% right now.

Given these numbers you have to assume that other developers are going to get moving soon. Hopefully someone is willing to take a risk and do something with the vacant lots in the Aylmer Ave. and Chatham St. area. The city has offered so many incentives to turn that neighbourhood around but nobody has bit on it.
Nothing is happening on site. The case is exactly the same for The Hive on Pelissier, supposedly they got their demo permits in March and "work has started" but nothing has happened yet, as of yesterday when I walked by the site.

My guess it's a lot of newer companies that don't have experience constructing taller buildings, hence why it's taking so long. Right now it's only Piroli and Valente who have been able to get anything off the ground at all.

I think the next one that will get off the ground will be the Amico/Hotel Dieu development on Crawford and University.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 4:32 PM

I have some updates for some stuff. The Piroli apartments are coming along well, and Farhi's DoubleTree Hotel conversion has started.

Piroli Group Apartments:

DoubleTree Conversion
(image is a little outdated):

Also, I saw this sign last night for a development called "Graffiti" by AIPL at University and Wellington. Does anyone know more about this?

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

Given these numbers you have to assume that other developers are going to get moving soon. Hopefully someone is willing to take a ris k and do something with the vacant lots in the Aylmer Ave. and Chatham St. area. The city has offered so many incentives to turn that neighbourhood around but nobody has bit on it.
Ya I gave up on that building at Victoria & Park. There was a sign at Goyeau and Tuscarora for a condo building but that’s gone now too.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:47 AM

Doubletree added to the Hilton booking site. Stated opening is March 2020:

https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/ho...IDT/index.html

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:55 PM

Not to burst your collective bubble, but as someone who has lived in London for many years and seen many, many Farhi proposals come and go - don't hold your breath with him. Maybe he will build something, who knows, but he has put forward many proposals in London (not real detailed plans) and we've never seen a shovel in the ground for anything.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:39 AM

Understood...but Farhi has already done a lot of work in Windsor...he bought and totally revamped two downtown hotels and a large downtown parking garage. The Doubletree will be his 3rd hotel. He just broke ground on a huge development that will contain 7 apartment buildings and over 100 homes on the east side of town. He has said nothing but good things about working with Windsor City Hall but he can't seem to get along with London City Hall.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:25 PM

I have to say that I have been surprised and impressed with what Farhi has done so far with some of his Windsor properties, especially considering his track record in London!
Hopefully, he will actually build at least one of his proposed riverfront condo towers downtown, as the economy and housing market is very strong, and the core badly needs new higher end multi story residential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario