HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:40 PM
if I sang out of tune

If that is the case, in a way it makes me a little glad we didn't lose such a spectacle

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:48 PM
if I sang out of tune

Lhasa

The Potala Palace -the tallest building before the Eiffel Tower
1300ft across, 1100ft deep, and 656ft high (350ft tall palace on a 300ft stone base carved into the mountain). With the mountain it rises 980ft into the air.

It houses over 1,000 rooms and 200,000 statues

https://johnrieber.files.wordpress.com

www.tibetanreview.net

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 2:05 PM
if I sang out of tune

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:26 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Bladerunner skyline, doesn't get more epic than this -a Manhattan thicket lumped onto where three mountain ranges meet and two rivers converge, and 4,500 bridges knit it all together - this is the world's best nighttime skyline.

Chongqing, possibly the most visually epic urban spectacle -for scale the river banks are up 100-200ft high. The city is so hilly for centuries it operated an army of porters to carry people's bags up and down the topography.

This vid took 5 years to make, charting the rise in that short time from a drab river city to a polished gem:

Video Link
Isn't parts of that city built on side of a hill? I've seen some striking photos of views over looking a cliff with roads and large buildings just below.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:08 PM

Chongquing is a city built on top of small mountains within a valley of converging rivers. Roads criss-cross over top of each other everywhere. There are very few cities around the world that are comparable to Chongqing outside of China.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:43 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Some of these entries strain the definition of skyline

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 7:22 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It isn't clear. Historians argue over whether it was defense or showing off wealth, or maybe a combination of the two. Lots of speculation that this was the medieval equivalent of a baller mansion.

Also, Bologna almost certainly didn't have that many towers. There are lots of artistic representations of tons of towers, but there are only historical records of a few dozen, mostly rather short, and there's evidence that most of the towers didn't exist concurrently, and were constantly being rebuilt, so there was never really a skyline of towers.
Would’ve been cool if there was a skyline of towers. Seeing this makes me wonder what other skylines existed in the past.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 8:51 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Chongquing is a city built on top of small mountains within a valley of converging rivers. Roads criss-cross over top of each other everywhere. There are very few cities around the world that are comparable to Chongqing outside of China.
Yep Chongqing is a tortured site topographically, but one handy for the river trade, where two major rivers bisect.

The striations are mountain ranges

For scale - the deck heights of the bridges are about 200-250ft:

Although the aerials hide the height of the land. For example this bridge is 436ft high

While on land you get mindfvcks such as this, a truly 3D vertical city:

https://i.imgur.com/QAiSvQa.gifv

"Zhongliang Mountains (中梁山) and Tongluo Mountains (铜锣山) roughly forms the eastern and western boundaries of Chongqing's urban area. The highest point in downtown is the top of Eling Hill, which is a smaller syncline hill that keeps Yangtze River and Jialing River apart for some more kilometres. The elevation of Eling Hill is 379 metres (1,243 feet). The lowest point is Chaotian Gate, where the two rivers merge with each other. The altitude there is 160 metres (520 feet). The average height of the area is 259 metres (850 feet). However, there are several high mountains outside central Chongqing, such as the Wugong Ling Mountain, with the altitude of 1,709.4 metres (5,608 feet), in Jiangjin. "

Last edited by muppet; Nov 1, 2020 at 10:44 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions