HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:03 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Batman is set in Gotham City, not New York.

One of the worst of the Batman movies was when they shifted filming from Chicago to New York. I visibly groaned when I saw blatantly obvious scenes of Manhattan that they were trying to pass off as Gotham City.
They never showed The Empire State Building or anything that most of the unwashed masses would recognize as NYC though in that movie.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Tons of movies are filmed in Cleveland and Pittsburgh that are supposed to take place in NYC. The Avengers movie filmed in downtown Cleveland and Pittsburgh. The Dark Knight Rises was filmed in Pittsburgh, supposed to be Gotham. The Mr. Rogers movie coming out soon had parts of downtown Pittsburgh turned into Manhattan, even replacing street signs with NYC street signage.
Yeah, so many urban neighborhoods in various cities have stood in for NYC in the movies.

Regarding the new Tom Hanks Mr. Rogers movie, with downtown Pittsburgh doubling for Manhattan (fake sidewalk subway stairs and all )... what's funny to me about the filming is that Pittsburgh also stands in for Atlanta in the movie. I watched them filming it in the Strip... old 70s set cars with Georgia license plates all along Penn Ave. The reason I mention this being that many cities can serve as Hollywood doubles for other cities, even if they look nothing alike (a la Pittsburgh and Atlanta).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:14 PM
Ex Houstonian

Nothing in Atlanta looks like Pittsburghs Strip District, that's strange.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
I agree but when you take LSD[Lake Shore Drive south from Montrose Harbor at night to McCormick Place convention center it rivals any street level scene I have ever seen in N.Y.C. On another note Pittsburghs skyline is very impressive and reminds me of a smaller version of Chicago but with hills. The most underwhelming skyline to me was Memphis.
Thanks for clarifying what you meant by LSD because my mind was in a totally different place. I was thinking... Of course that would be a scenic drive.

You won't see much of anything in Manhattan. Queens has a few good vantage points, such as Northern Boulevard, or the Triborough Bridge. Also, the BQE near the Brooklyn/Queens border, around the Koscziusko Bridge, are some of the views of the skyline to be had by car while in NYC. The better views of Manhattan are from the NJ side, though.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:

One of the worst of the Batman movies was when they shifted filming from Chicago to New York. I visibly groaned when I saw blatantly obvious scenes of Manhattan that they were trying to pass off as Gotham City.
Everybody knows that Gotham is New York. Metropolis is Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:

The first two Christropher Nolan movies (certainly not the first iteration of Batman) were filmed in Chicago, but Gotham City is widely recognized as a proxy for New York (the original Batman comics were actually set in New York). New York is sometimes referred to as "Gotham", which is more than a mere coincidence.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:14 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

Philly, from three vantage points:

1. Coming in from the west on the Schuykill Expressway, and (now) getting peeks of it starting around Memorial Hall and the zoo, then finally hitting that loose curve across from Boathouse Row and the whole thing just pops into view like the Emerald City. Quelle dramatique, especially at night.

2. The South Street Bridge, always.

3. Coming across the railroad bridge by the zoo and Girard Avenue and crossing the Schuykill - if I'm lucky, a #15 trolley (which near its eastern end also went through the neighborhood I grew up in) will be crossing the Girard Avenue Bridge. My whole life - and especially living in New York the last 25 years, I've watched the skyline grow and change from that part of the train ride on visits back to Philly.

New York, two vantage points:

1. My apartment.

2. Any one of the great approaches to LGA; bonus: I almost always fly over my building and plan out our roof terraces and solar panel scheme on my way home that way.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Nothing in Atlanta looks like Pittsburghs Strip District, that's strange.
There are no moutains in Miami but that never stopped them from using LA and its mountainous backgrounds as a setting for CSI Miami.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
You won't see much of anything in Manhattan. Queens has a few good vantage points, such as Northern Boulevard, or the Triborough Bridge. Also, the BQE near the Brooklyn/Queens border, around the Koscziusko Bridge, are some of the views of the skyline to be had by car while in NYC. The better views of Manhattan are from the NJ side, though.
The West Side Highway has an awesome view of downtown/the financial district when heading southbound from the meatpacking district.

Best views of NYC in general, though are from Weehawken, NJ, Lonq Island City (Queens), NY and Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
There are no moutains in Miami but that never stopped them from using LA and its mountainous backgrounds as a setting for CSI Miami.
And many others. Long Beach filled in for Miami for Dexter as another example. LA's filled many other cities, obviously. NYC more than anything though.

The funniest one I can think of was Arlington Road, which was made in Houston but it filled in for DC/Northern Virginia. Being from NOVA, I was like "BS on this". There's highrises in the backround for some DC street scenes haha.
Atlanta (or suburbs) filling for in for Alexandria VA is just dumb in the Walking Dead. They make it appear Alexandria, VA is some bumpkin town in the middle of nowhere. That show sucks anyway, but the Alexandria thing makes it worse. They don't give a f.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
To be fair, though, the fact that a city stands as a film or show fill-in for another city doesn't really mean it resembles the other city. Seinfeld and Mad Men were mostly LA. Toronto, Vancouver and Detroit have also been used as NYC fill-ins. It speaks more to viewers general ignorance and targeted close-ups.
Detroit makes sense and can easily fill in as New York even for people who know better. Maybe not for Brooklyn row homes but Merchants Row, Capital Park and Griswold look very much like parts of Manhattan. West Side/Hamtramck could be filled in for the outer parts of queens, etc.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Ha! There's probably a website somewhere dedicated to Hollywood setting f-ups.

Speaking of mountains, one of my favorite misplaced settings is in the Deer Hunter when Robert DeNiro is hunting in the mountains... he is supposed to be somewhere not far from the Pittsburgh area in the Alleghenies in SW Pennsylvania.

Yet, the mountain scenes show 10,000+ ft snow-capped peaks. Because it was filmed in the Cascades near the Canadian border in Washington.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
The West Side Highway has an awesome view of downtown/the financial district when heading southbound from the meatpacking district.

Best views of NYC in general, though are from Weehawken, NJ, Lonq Island City (Queens), NY and Brooklyn Bridge Park.
I think the view of Manhattan/NYC from Eagle Rock Reservation in Montclair/Verona is the best one there is overall.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Detroit makes sense and can easily fill in as New York even for people who know better. Maybe not for Brooklyn row homes but Merchants Row, Capital Park and Griswold look very much like parts of Manhattan. West Side/Hamtramck could be filled in for the outer parts of queens, etc.
A lot of Brooklyn's non-brownstone areas also have strong analogies in Detroit. I think upper-Manhattan and the Bronx would be the hardest for Detroit to replicate. Flatbush Avenue after Prospect Park has a strong resemblance to one of Detroit's radial avenues.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 8:32 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I think the worst film setting for me was Jackie Chan's A Bronx Tale. It was a good movie but quickly in I realized that they mostly filmed in Vancouver rather than NYC.

The CSI Miami thing always pissed me off too.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
They always used long Beach for Miami too in dexter..

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 8:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Ha! There's probably a website somewhere dedicated to Hollywood setting f-ups.

Speaking of mountains, one of my favorite misplaced settings is in the Deer Hunter when Robert DeNiro is hunting in the mountains... he is supposed to be somewhere not far from the Pittsburgh area in the Alleghenies in SW Pennsylvania.

Yet, the mountain scenes show 10,000+ ft snow-capped peaks. Because it was filmed in the Cascades near the Canadian border in Washington.
Yeah, I laughed out loud when I was watching that movie and they were supposed to be in West Virginia, but it was clearly the Pacific Northwest Mountains. I would think most people know that West Virginia doesn't haven snow capped mountains with glaciers.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Flatbush Avenue after Prospect Park has a strong resemblance to one of Detroit's radial avenues.
Not seeing it, unless I'm looking in the wrong parts of Flatbush Ave, or there are intact, commercially vibrant radial avenues in Detroit that I'm not aware of. Both could easily be true. But from my experience, Detroit's avenues are much wider than Flatbush, and there are basically no intact commercial districts remaining, let alone approaching the density and scale of Flatbush. I'd love to see some streetview links of these corridors if they do exist!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
The first two Christropher Nolan movies (certainly not the first iteration of Batman) were filmed in Chicago, but Gotham City is widely recognized as a proxy for New York (the original Batman comics were actually set in New York). New York is sometimes referred to as "Gotham", which is more than a mere coincidence.
I love trying to work out film locations. Nolan used London throughout the Dark Knight trilogy, as did Tim Burton in the 1989 Batman film.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
I love trying to work out film locations. Nolan used London throughout the Dark Knight trilogy, as did Tim Burton in the 1989 Batman film.
a

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions