HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Love it.

Where did Little River go? Buried? I'm guessing that stream ran just outside the old city walls, yes?

It's a shame they didn't leave a small section of the walls standing.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:31 AM
I am a typical

Most streams got buried back then. I think this map or the one on historic maps shows a maps of Winnipeg and Toronto with all the creeks and streams that used to exist in those cities cores.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:40 AM

It still there. Hidden but alive.

http://undermontreal.com/riviere-st-...art-to-finish/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 1:13 AM

Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks!

And, yes, early maps of Hamilton, for example, show a very wet, boggy environment crisscrossed by streams, marshes, etc. We quickly redirected or drained those away so it was more habitable...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 2:34 AM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 4:56 AM
ARTchitecture

That just gave me a nerdgasm Thank you.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 12:11 PM

Interesting, I always assumed the entire Lower Mainland was suitable for agriculture but based on this graphic the city of Vancouver is sitting on bedrock.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:34 AM

PEI : 3

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:53 AM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post

The (lack of) scaling of those bars is painful.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 2:32 PM

Whew, good thing we're near our potential. In 50 years someone else might think it'd be a good idea to throw up another hydro project in Labrador. So far we're 0/2 !

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Interesting, I always assumed the entire Lower Mainland was suitable for agriculture but based on this graphic the city of Vancouver is sitting on bedrock.
Just the region around the Fraser River Delta. Mind you that region goes all the way to Chilliwack.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:40 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The (lack of) scaling of those bars is painful.
Hydro-electric is the cleanest major source of energy we have but it's not all positive. There are lots of negatives that result from damming rivers that rarely get aired.

Quote:
List of Cons of Hydropower

1. It can destroy natural habitats.
Any power plant that is on an industrial scale will have some unfavorable effects on the environment. When a dam is to be built, there will naturally be changes to the environment so that it can be done. And, these changes can have significant contributions to the destruction of natural habitats.

2. It still emits carbon dioxide and methane.
Hydropower reservoirs can still release a large amount of methane and carbon dioxide, as the areas around them is filled with water, trees and plants that can start rotting and decomposing through other method without using oxygen. This would mean that these power plants can cause decomposition that can dump a great amount of carbon dioxide and methane into the environment, increasing pollution.

3. It can cause flooding.
Records show that construction of dams have actually caused surrounding towns to be flooded out and taken over by water, causing them to be non-existent or underwater ghost towns.

4. It offers limited use.
As hydropower is produced by the water that depends on yearly rain, this means that only the areas using this method and receiving a good amount of rainfall can take advantage of this technology.

5. It risks extinction of species.
Whenever a hydropower dam changes the habitats of animals that exist in the area of construction, there is always the risk of extinction to a certain species. Dams can cause problems with flooding, which endangers animal life. Other than this, dams can change the flow of rivers and other waterways that can cause water shortages to the neighboring communities and local livestock.

6. It requires high installation costs.
Although the operating costs of dams are believed to be low, the construction and installations of dams, as well as the turbines, can cost a lot due to the many regions not currently employing this alternative source of energy. If the initial cost had been less, then many countries have already used this energy source more commonly, but their construction actually requires a lot of labor and human capital, not to mention that their maintenance is very expensive.

7. It promotes siting.
Some hydropower sites in the US have been widely contested, as many of them were seen as a major loss for conservation efforts, like the construction of the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir and O’Shaughnessy Dam in Yosemite National Park in 1923. Many of these developments were actually stopped by bitter opposition from environmental groups, who consider that the government was only prioritizing development over the natural resources of a region.

8. It risks breaking of dams.
There is a lot of dams that were built for industrial use but are not currently used and removed as they can cause serious flooding. This would affect a huge number of people, including their property.

https://greengarageblog.org/16-main-...-of-hydropower

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Just the region around the Fraser River Delta. Mind you that region goes all the way to Chilliwack.
There's still a fair amount of topsoil on the sandstone/shale areas. It may have originally been a bit acidic due to the predominance of conifers in the area but I doubt it would have been too problematic.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Whew, good thing we're near our potential. In 50 years someone else might think it'd be a good idea to throw up another hydro project in Labrador. So far we're 0/2 !
The scale is complete wack on all those bars - but it appears you haven't haven't even got halfway! Maybe third time's the charm?

I wonder what they actually mean by potential though. You can't just flood everything, I doubt BC has any political capital left to build more hydro once Site C is done.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:45 PM

Hydro is still pretty popular here, just maybe not another megaproject. Small and medium sized projects would still have a lot of support I imagine*.

*Totally just a guess based off general vibes living here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The scale is complete wack on all those bars - but it appears you haven't haven't even got halfway! Maybe third time's the charm?

I wonder what they actually mean by potential though. You can't just flood everything, I doubt BC has any political capital left to build more hydro once Site C is done.
My bad, I read that as total potential including what was already being utilized. Excellent, another generation can try to make a legacy around hydro projects! lol jk in 50 years there won't be enough people here to even consider another megaproject

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:15 AM
I am a typical

I think the City of Thunder Bay alone has more MW of hydro electric generation in it than all of PEI. But to be completely honest, I'm surprised they even have 1 MW!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I think the City of Thunder Bay alone has more MW of hydro electric generation in it than all of PEI. But to be completely honest, I'm surprised they even have 1 MW!
Same with Castlegar.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post

The numbers for NS seem really... wrong. It seems impossible that we would have as much hydro potential as Newfoundland (even if we're just talking untapped potential), nearly as much as Manitoba, and 8.5 times as much as New Brunswick. Maybe someone added an extra zero by accident?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada