HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 3:30 AM

Death Valley, Hoover Dam, Arizona, and Utah

I completely forget about these pictures a took after a hiking trip to the southwestern United States 2 years ago. These brought back some great memories. Enjoy!

Death Valley, California
Started early to get a jump on the heat. Starting temperature: 88 F

Salt fields- Temperature: 95-100 F

Golden Canyon

Headed north to hike through the sand dunes. I was surprised to see the amount of tour buses and elderly people who get out, look around get back on the bus, and head to the next site. Temperature: 115 F and very windy

Temperature: 120 F

Dante's View

After leaving Death Valley and spending a night in Vegas, I made my way east to the Hoover Dam on the border of Nevada and Arizona. The view from the Hoover Dam Bridge is amazing!

I did a day hike in the Grand Canyon on the South Kaibab trail to the Colorado River and back up the Bright Angel Trail. Photos of the sunset prior to that hike are posted here a while back: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=205197

After the Grand Canyon, I went to Page, Arizona; a town on the north Arizona border near Utah. I hiked various slot canyons and other trails.

The Glen Canyon Dam is a hydroelectric dam which holds back the Colorado River and forms Lake Powell; popular with boats and other water recreation vehicles.

Further south from Page is a portion of the Colorado River and canyon that forms the Horseshoe Bend.

Looking back at Horseshoe Bend

Views from the Fredonia-Vermillion Cliffs Scenic road (89)

Brief stop through Flagstaff

Forest fire on the way to Phoenix

And finally rested by the pool to recover for the next few days in the Phoenix sun!
Final sunset from the backyard

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 12:24 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for these pics of your trip.

What a fabulous landscapes! Amazing shots and colours. Unforgettable experience, I suppose. Death Valley must be a very surprising place.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 3:36 PM

Thanks! Yes, Death Valley ranks up there as one of my favorite places to hike. The terrain is surreal. I would like to go back when the temps are a bit lower so I can really spend some time hiking though the canyons and trails. You get dehydrated very quickly when you hike in 115 degree temperatures!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography