HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 8:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ well, in my humble opinion this proposal is superior to all those other projects, with the possible exception of fordham spire, which might stand on equal footing with this magical tower. don't let the boxy form trick you. boxes are good. boxes are true. boxes are CHICAGO. it's what's done with the box that differentiates the magical from the banal, and this project appears poised to become one of the most elite boxes in the world.

i couldn't be happier with this proposal thus far, and i anxiously await to see more.
^ I agree 100% with every word of this above post

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 8:43 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GR2NY-
I want to have sex with it!!!!
^ You might be a bit dissappointed if you try...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 9:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch
Alright, I'm feeling it.

Truthfully, I think those of us with a less enthusiastic initial impression are turned off by the color of the model. Ugly tan, with a contrasting white interuption in the middle, as well as a striking white roof is visually unappealing.

Depending on glass color (as many have already suggested), and how it interfaces with concrete balconies will be important for this one. Also, I presume the roof and interuption in the middle will be something other than tan or white. Would you guys agree?
well, i wasn't really trying to brow-beat my feelings on this proposal into the rest of you (alright, i was trying a little ), but i'm just so excited for this project. if you honestly don't like it, that's cool, people are free to like and dislike whatever they want. i guess i went on my ramblings here in this thread because people were putting themselves into a so-called "hater" group and i feel there is so MUCH more to this project than what is currently meeting the eye with these tiny, preliminary cardboard model pics.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 24, 2006 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider
BVictor: What do you mean that the rendering u saw was the same as the model? Was it the same pics we have here, or was it just as unclear as to what the overall specifics of the tower will look like?
I just meant the design was the same. I saw an actual rendering of what the building will look like. I think that it's a sweet design. The cluster of highrises in that 3 block radius is almost unimaginable. 1-1,000+: 1-900+: 2-800+; then there's the second tower for LSE on Columbus which will be roughly the same height as Aqua, and the possible future expansion of BCBS with 340 OtP going up now... Whew.....

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 9:36 PM

What would be the address for this? Im now having a hard time picturing where it would be.

And BVic, are both towers going next to each other from what you know? Its just so dense over there that I have no idea where these lots are. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree
What would be the address for this? Im now having a hard time picturing where it would be.

And BVic, are both towers going next to each other from what you know? Its just so dense over there that I have no idea where these lots are. Thank you.
Aqua will be situated next to the fire station on columbus and the second tower will be closer to the bcbs plaza.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Aqua will be situated next to the fire station on columbus and the second tower will be closer to the bcbs plaza.
LOL. I still have no clue. Whats an address fairly close so I can look at an arieal on Google Earth?

Edit:Nevermind I found it. A building that tall should have significant presence and could be seen from the river, right? Because nothing else that tall in LakeshoreEast should be close to Aqua, right? It would be so nice to see it on an architecture river tour. Damn, 2010 cant come fast enough.

Last edited by SevenSevenThree; Feb 24, 2006 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 9:59 PM

The second tower that will stand side by side with Aqua is to be developed by Fifield Realty Co (if I am right on this one). Who is an architect?

2006 is starting off as a marvelous time for us and hopefully remains eternally. I can't believe that 800' is now norm to us. Legacy. Inter-Continental. Mandarin-Oriental. 830 S Mich. 3rd tower taller than OMP. 29-32 S. LaSalle. Aqua and another tower.

Last edited by Chi_Coruscant; Feb 24, 2006 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 10:15 PM
Condo Projects Manager

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 10:39 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

Quote:
The cluster of highrises in that 3 block radius is almost unimaginable. 1-1,000+: 1-900+: 2-800+; then there's the second tower for LSE on Columbus which will be roughly the same height as Aqua, and the possible future expansion of BCBS with 340 OtP going up now... Whew.....
I know, that's going to be quite a sight! A bunch of giant buildings in a 3 block radius.

As far as the design, I am really digging it, except for the color (assuming that is the color).

Architecturally speaking, this building is very refreshing and it'll give the skyline a nice and interesting look in that part of town.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 10:43 PM

Adam, nice find on the LSE models. You really gotta love 340 OTP.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 3:58 PM

Quote:
. . . the height that I got from the documentation that I saw was 835' 4".
Is it based on the main entrance on Upper Columbus Drive or at the LSE park?

I am still loving Aqua. It is so one-of-a-kind.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 5:41 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ and i don't see how anyone could NOT be thrilled by this project. what were you expecting? the architectural equivalent of the second coming of christ? well, this project isn't exactly that, but it is easily the most architecturally interesting skyscraper proposal this city has seen in decades, and that's gotta count for something.
i was expecting exactly what Gang was talking about in her interviews. Something completely unique, new and depending on your angle you're viewing it from, it would take on a completely different form. Something that would be incredibly hard to accomplish in contemporary high-rise design, but something I thought she'd be able to pull out

While I'll judge this at a later date when better renderings are out, there's just no way of telling that this thing is the best thing the city has proposed in decades. I am excited about it as I've been a Gang fan since before the theatre she built out in Rockford.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 6:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1
While I'll judge this at a later date when better renderings are out, there's just no way of telling that this thing is the best thing the city has proposed in decades. I am excited about it as I've been a Gang fan since before the theatre she built out in Rockford.
^ I think Fordham Spire still holds that title in my mind, although this building is certainly #2, with number 3 being far, far, far below both of them

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 5:24 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1
While I'll judge this at a later date when better renderings are out, there's just no way of telling that this thing is the best thing the city has proposed in decades.
that's true at this point, but i'm just looking into the future a bit and i can say that of all the proposed skyscrapers during my 30 year life span in this town, nothing has excited me as much as what i am seeing so far in this proposal, with the possible exception of fordham spire. my prognostications may not pan out, however.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 26, 2006 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
^ I think Fordham Spire still holds that title in my mind, although this building is certainly #2, with number 3 being far, far, far below both of them
Amazing. I don't know how anyone can say this. Like I said, I like it. But it's more novel than anything. This is the type of tower that tourists at navy pier will point to, and gawk at. But I assure you, this wont be in the running for the pritzker prize. I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I would say wait, and see what Kamin says about it. But he never likes anything anymore. So I guess that wouldn't be a good measure of its true architectural merit.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 9:04 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

Sorry for getting off the topic for just a moment, but doesn't the BCBS building look taller in that scale model? Like if they already added the extra floors...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 8:19 AM

^Not exactly a scale model... the BCBS would be taller than 340 on the Park if it were extended all the way up. They just made it too big.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 7:48 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago
^Not exactly a scale model... the BCBS would be taller than 340 on the Park if it were extended all the way up. They just made it too big.
Thanks Dan!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 8:16 PM
Because I'm Clever!

I fixed the height and colored it blue-green, my guess of its color. Enjoy it and the new animation.

Animated flyaround of downtown (16MB .avi)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive