HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 1:01 AM
TL;DR

^^ Apparently, Southern Star thinks it can line up funding to build a whole new waterpark and add rides. I wouldn't be surprised if there is new landscaping included in this plan. Under Six Flags, this park was the bastard child of the theme park chain, and did not receive much love or investment. Under independent management, this place can really shine.

Regardless of the decrepit state of New Orleans East, the park is isolated by miles of swamp and highways. If Southern Star builds a hotel nearby, it can draw its own crowds. Besides, lots of theme parks are located in iffy areas. Ever been to Kennywood outside Pittsburgh? The park is fenced and offers its own security; it's just as safe as Lakeside Mall.

----------------------------------

In other news, apparently Bobby Jindal declared LSU's Charity Hospital plan "inadequate". Let's hope that pressure from the top forces LSU to go back to the drawing boards. I don't care if it takes another 2 or 3 years, there's no excuse for the wanton and reckless wholesale demolition that they want to perform on the city. Good things take time.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 5:27 PM

Methodist hospital to be back by 2011. Great news for the east, hope this will spur the recovery which has been very slow in the east.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/w....279c100e.html

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti.../REG/305299970

Also Lindy Boggs medical center in mid-city to be bought by nursing facility.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/w....4aeb11ee.html

Last edited by sguil1; Jun 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 6:45 PM
TL;DR

What an odd-looking building. Good news though.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 1:03 PM

Found this on another site. Its a bid for a new 30 story residential tower to be built downtown. Not sure what this could be, I haven't heard of any projects anounced for this area? Says construction to start in 2010.

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.457720.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 8:50 AM
TL;DR

30 stories is pretty big. It doesn't match any of the proposals that are on hold or canceled, unless somebody decided to add floors or Trump decided to subtract.

My best guess would be that this new tower is something for the vacant lot at Canal Place, which is just begging to be filled, considering how close it is to the tourist epicenter of the city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 1:54 PM

yeah, but the attached map shows the location being just on the downtown side of Canal, right behind Tulane medical center.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 4:35 PM

Cool

I'm pretty sure those Bidclerk maps are inaccurate. You have to subscribe to get any decent information.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 6:55 PM

Thanks sgray. Good to see you over here on skyscraperpage.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 6:30 PM

REINVENTING THE CRESCENT - Cool project for the riverfront. Phase I, which is the riverfront park, scheduled to begin before the end of the year.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/vi...cfm?recid=1400
http://www.neworiverfront.com/ (cool video)

cool renderings...
http://www.hargreaves.com/projects/W.../NOLACrescent/
http://www.studioedr.com/index_flash.html

Last edited by sguil1; Jun 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 7:22 AM
TL;DR

It's about time. I hope the cold storage plant won't interfere with the plans for Place Portage (which would cut a swath out of the Esplanade Wharf building for a new plaza). The plan featured glass walls into the wharf buildings that would be amazing if built.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 5:29 PM

City buys Chevron building for new city hall as rumored....

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...er_chevro.html

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:14 PM

I saw today that a crane was being constructed on the site of the LCRC. Should be getting vertical soon.

Also, a bill to slow LSU hospital plans was shot down today, looks like LSU still planning on moving forward.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/up...fm?recid=25248

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 12:55 AM

Superdome progress.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:47 PM

Second Line Stages film studio rendering

Hello All,

I've been falling the thread for a couple of months, but this is my first post. I just ran across a rendering for the new Second Line Stages film production studio opening in the Lower Garden District in January 2010. At first, all I heard was that they were converting one of the old warehouses, but this is quite the overhaul. And as you can see, there will be a small 5-story office building. Nice! It will be LEED certified, too. I hope this is not a duplicate post or old news.

And here is there website: www.secondlinestages.com

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 10:53 PM

Welcome to the board DillardAlum! Great post, I have not seen those renderings before but they look great. I will be following that project for sure. Good to see that the film industry continues to grow in N.O.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 4:40 AM
TL;DR

Looks fantastic; I haven't seen these studios before.

I'm also surprised at how soon the Superdome work has started. I don't think this is related to the recent deal, though - it must be connected with the previous round of renovations that installed windows on the Superdome's corners.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Looks fantastic; I haven't seen these studios before.

I'm also surprised at how soon the Superdome work has started. I don't think this is related to the recent deal, though - it must be connected with the previous round of renovations that installed windows on the Superdome's corners.
That is correct. The new outer shell is the 3rd and final phase of the ~$200 million or so in updates to the dome after the storm. The $85 million in state funds will mostly go to adding 3000 seats and some more suites on the interior of the dome.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:51 AM
TL;DR

I kinda liked the patina of the old aluminum shell. Each panel has its own water stain that makes a cool pattern on the side. It looks gritty and masculine, befitting the city. If the aluminum is replaced with something so shiny and golden, it will just go back to looking like a Jetsons-style blob.

Oh well. I'm more interested in functional changes to the Dome at this point - I doubt anyone will choose whether to go to a Saints game or concert based on how shiny the stadium is on the outside.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 18, 2009 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm more interested in functional changes to the Dome at this point - I doubt anyone will choose whether to go to a Saints game or concert based on how shiny the stadium is on the outside.
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...290.xml&coll=1

"third and final phase to the project -- a $24 million job to repair and replace the building's exterior aluminum skin and add escalators to the outside of the club rooms. That work is expected to begin in January 2008 and be completed that summer. "

A little late, but i think the escalators will help with the crowds outside of the dome on game days.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 5:53 PM

Cool Nolatown

This is a big deal. I'll try to find the preliminary drawing of this developement and post it.

June 23, 2009
Lincoln Beach nears lease deal
By Richard A. Webster Staff writer

Construction on a $477 million redevelopment of Lincoln Beach, formerly a New Orleans amusement park for blacks during segregation, is not expected to begin for another 18 months. (File photo)
NEW ORLEANS — The development of Lincoln Beach is moving forward, but construction is not expected to begin for at least 18 months, said Sean Cummings, head of the New Orleans Building Corp.

The city and Nolatown Inc., the project’s primary developer, are expected to reach an agreement on the lease this month. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will then begin work on levee enhancements and the installation of a new floodgate.

The corps’ work is expected to take 18 months.

Construction can then begin on the $477 million project, which will include green space, an entertainment complex, gathering areas with cultural themes, recreation, commercial and hospitality areas, housing and residential facilities and support areas and a commuter train stop. Housing would include 400 condos and a 500-vehicle parking garage.

Ricky Spearman, president of Nolatown, said three project developers — Atlanta-based Nolatown; Covina, Calif.-based International Performance Packaging Co.; and Monrovia, Calif.-based Nardi Associates — have $500 million in financing pre-approved.

Lincoln Beach originally was built as an amusement park for blacks during segregation.

“Government procurement is intrinsically challenging, more time-consuming and more expensive than what happens in the private sector,” Cummings said.

“But in the scheme of things the project is moving at a deliberate speed and in a clear direction. It’s important to bring back to life this culturally important piece of real estate and this waterfront.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations