HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:03 PM

[QUOTE=West Peachtree;9203884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
Speaking of Plaza Midtown, anyone seen the latest at 901 West Peachtree between 7th and 8th ?

Seems all the demolition is done - or is there more to come East of the alley?

Pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks, folks
The only update is they painted the remaining wall at 8th and W.Peachtree with a huge "901" logo. The buildings are demolished but the site is not ready for work - for example there are still some foundations from the old buildings and trees on site.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
Glad to see this moving forward! Are they planning to close Porter Place? The sketches seem to show one contiguous podium.
So is this tower project going to be on Peachtree st or west Peachtree st & Ivan Allen Blvd? I’m thinking it’s going on the lot right next to where TI used to have a restaurant on Ivan Allen and the next block is that empty lot? Also the next big lot West of that is supposed to be a Huge proposal there as well. Across from the W downtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude View Post
So is this tower project going to be on Peachtree st or west Peachtree st & Ivan Allen Blvd? I’m thinking it’s going on the lot right next to where TI used to have a restaurant on Ivan Allen and the next block is that empty lot? Also the next big lot West of that is supposed to be a Huge proposal there as well. Across from the W downtown.
I think it'll have a Peachtree address because it's on the church's property, but it will physically be on the southeast corner of West Peachtree and Ivan Allen, plus part of the block south across Porter Place from that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:24 PM

Midtown Atlanta @MidtownATL

Midtown Development Review Committee will meet virtually next Tuesday, March 9 to discuss one project (agenda pictured). You can request access to view the meeting here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...heers::cheers:

https://twitter.com/MidtownATL/statu...80660865650688

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Midtown Development Review Committee will meet virtually next Tuesday, March 9 to discuss one project (agenda pictured). You can request access to view the meeting here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...heers::cheers:

RIP to Joe's and Einstein's, but this is huge. These towers should make a big impact on the skyline from Piedmont Park.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:39 PM

sheer numbers are impressive

Images: State Farm's massive, MARTA-connected project is nearly finished
Three-tower development at Atlanta's Perimeter brings 1.7M square feet to Dunwoody

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/s...dy-development

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:45 PM

Philip Trammell Shutze- designer

Three-pronged Portman Holdings project moves forward in Midtown

Plans provide fresh glimpse of Connector-fronting office component

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/m...tel-apartments

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:47 PM

AGREED
Quote:
RIP to Joe's and Einstein's, but this is huge. These towers should make a big impact on the skyline from Piedmont Park.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 10:20 PM
i ain't no bubba

Philip Trammell Shutze- designer

Three-pronged Portman Holdings project moves forward in Midtown
Plans provide fresh glimpse of Connector-fronting office component

Shutze was the architect for the 1928 funeral home. The architects for the new towers are HKS Inc and Cooper Carry.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Isn't the applicant supposed to release a site plan, elevations and renderings a week before the meeting to get on the agenda? How does the public see that before the meeting? I live right there and have a vested interest in this.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:53 AM

Quote:

Tbh, unless the architecture is on point, I'd rather what's there stay put for now. They at least provide some interesting contrast to what's likely to be another boring, block-sized, hulking glass box with cars looming six stories over the street and useless little retail cube spaces that never fill up.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 5:16 AM

Quote:
I think it'll have a Peachtree address because it's on the church's property, but it will physically be on the southeast corner of West Peachtree and Ivan Allen, plus part of the block south across Porter Place from that.
Ok appreciate the info

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Isn't the applicant supposed to release a site plan, elevations and renderings a week before the meeting to get on the agenda? How does the public see that before the meeting? I live right there and have a vested interest in this.
You can request to join at the noted link.

Applicants are not required to post site plans online. The City of Atlanta has the official public record and you can request it from the Zoning Administrator if it has been filed. If not, it is not public record and the City cannot legally release it.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
Tbh, unless the architecture is on point, I'd rather what's there stay put for now. They at least provide some interesting contrast to what's likely to be another boring, block-sized, hulking glass box with cars looming six stories over the street and useless little retail cube spaces that never fill up.
I normally support development like this but mostly when it is taking over a parking lot. I'm not very thrilled about this as I think it takes away from the neighborhood/character of this part of midtown. Restaurants in old homes with massive patios under established trees is a lot more appealing than a massive glass building with a slight possibility of occupied retail space.
I'd rather see both restaurants either go under new management to improve service/food and a third restaurant take over the blue house in the middle and turn the valet service up front into another large patio. Does this create more density, no, but it creates a vibrant block attracting people so much more than another apartment tower.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
Damn, y'all are kind of a tough crowd....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Native View Post
I normally support development like this but mostly when it is taking over a parking lot. I'm not very thrilled about this as I think it takes away from the neighborhood/character of this part of midtown. Restaurants in old homes with massive patios under established trees is a lot more appealing than a massive glass building with a slight possibility of occupied retail space.
I'd rather see both restaurants either go under new management to improve service/food and a third restaurant take over the blue house in the middle and turn the valet service up front into another large patio. Does this create more density, no, but it creates a vibrant block attracting people so much more than another apartment tower.
I agree....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:24 PM

Oh Einsteins. I worked there one of my last years in Atlanta. Boy was that a fun place to work for a young gay kid.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Native View Post
ATL Native, appreciate your point of view. But, since the restaurant group has decided to sell the parcels to a developer, either they feel their run of those concepts has come to an end or they feel they can resurrect them in other locations somewhere down the line. I think a big part of those concepts, however, is the very fact they are housed in former large residences with lots of outdoor space. I have enjoyed the businesses on that block over the years, and looks like I'll miss my chance to have a last meal as my next visit isn't until July 4 Weekend. I'm of the opinion that if this leads to another thousand residents living in that same space, it makes for a more vibrant Midtown if those folks get out on foot and become patrons of neighborhood businesses (both current and future) on a regular basis.

ATLotb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations