HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think that win over Sherbrooke made quite an impression.........
Yeah, beating the #1 Ranked team in the country who have only lost 1 game in regulation this year opened some eyes to what we in Moncton already know, the Wildcats will be a contender this year. Sherbrooke remains number 1 despite the loss and Charlottetown is no longer on the list.
  1. Sherbrooke Phoenix
  2. Edmonton Oil Kings
  3. Oshawa Generals
  4. Prince Albert Raiders
  5. Chicoutimi Sagueneens
  6. Moncton Wildcats
  7. Cape Breton Eagles
  8. Owen Sound Attack
  9. Everett Silvertips
  10. Flint Firebirds

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Wow, the Cats blew out the CHL #7 Cape Breton Eagles tonight in Sydney by a score of 10-4! The Cats had built up an 8-1 lead before the midpoint of the second period, and apparently coasted after that.

Pelletier with 4 points and Khobanov with 3 points led the onslaught.

Video highlights:
https://theqmjhl.ca/gamecentre/27445/boxscore

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:18 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Some colour for the page - Harbour TD Station last night during the Canada-Russia game:

Source

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton Wildcats are now #3 in the CHL standings!!

They defeated the Gatineau Olympiques 5-1 last night at the Avenir Centre before 4554 fans.

Takeaways from the game:
- The Cats are really stepping up the defensive part of their game.
- Lavallee is becoming more reliable as a goaltender, especially with competent defence in front of him.
- The Cats have a really explosive offence when needed, and have sharpened their set plays quite a bit since the start of the season.
- Khovanov, Pelletier, McKenna & Cyr combined give us two really potent offensive lines.

This team is for real. This is the year to go for it. I think we have almost all the pieces already. The only obstacle between us and another Memorial Cup appearance is the Sherbrooke Phoenix. I think only minor tweaking is really necessary to achieve the goal - maybe just one one quality defenceman and a good two way forward. I really don't think the Cats will have to sell the farm in order to achieve the dream.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Moncton Wildcats are now #3 in the CHL standings!!

They defeated the Gatineau Olympiques 5-1 last night at the Avenir Centre before 4554 fans.

Takeaways from the game:
- The Cats are really stepping up the defensive part of their game.
- Lavallee is becoming more reliable as a goaltender, especially with competent defence in front of him.
- The Cats have a really explosive offence when needed, and have sharpened their set plays quite a bit since the start of the season.
- Khovanov, Pelletier, McKenna & Cyr combined give us two really potent offensive lines.

This team is for real. This is the year to go for it. I think we have almost all the pieces already. The only obstacle between us and another Memorial Cup appearance is the Sherbrooke Phoenix. I think only minor tweaking is really necessary to achieve the goal - maybe just one one quality defenceman and a good two way forward. I really don't think the Cats will have to sell the farm in order to achieve the dream.
I wouldn't say its just Sherbrooke. Right now the Eagles are falling in the standings because their starting goalie is injured. They have the deepest forward core in the league and lots of assets to trade and owner that wants to win.

Rimouski has the best line (likely in the CHL) featuring Lafreniere and while they really lack depth and assets they may just push every asset they have left to build a winner around Lafreniere.

Chicoutimi has a very good team as well but is much younger than the others mentioned. They will be a good test on Thursday.

Its imperative the Cats finish 1st in their conference to give them an optimal path to the finals.

With all that said, agreed that this is the Cats best chance since 2010. There is very little rumors out there right now as to who they'll add at Christmas. It will be an interesting trade period. A top defenceman is priority number 1 with another top 4 would be nice to have. They also need 1 top 6 forward. I'm very excited at the possibility of seeing a deep playoff run at the Avenir, with mostly weekend dates. It would be a dream come true to see that building full for a Q finals.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Acquiring a good two-way defenceman able to captain the power play from the point would be ideal.

Who do you think the Cats might be willing to deal way?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:54 AM

It will depend on Mr. Irving. He tends to be overly involved in the teams decisions at Christmas and needs to approve any and all trades. It will be interesting seeing Torchetti's first go at the Christmas trade period.

If Irving gives the go all in at all costs signal here's whats available for trade based on value. Personally I hope they only make 2 or 3 necessary moves and not completely empty the cupboard. I don't want to see a Sea Dogs or Titan style rebuild.

-L’heureux(now or as futures)(likely untouchable)
-Pelletier as futures
-Desnoyers(now or as futures)
-Lavallee(now)
-Spence as futures
-2021 1st rounder(Mon)
-Hebert(2003)
-Parent(2002)
-2020 2nd(Cha)
-2020 2nd(Mon)
-Langlois(2002)
-Pavan(2003)
-2020 3rd(Bat)
-LeBlanc(2003)
-Pilotte(2003)
-Desrosiers(2003)
-2021 2nd(Mon) or 2020 3rd(Mon)
-Hudson as futures

Personally there isn't a player in the league that is worth moving L'Heureux for. He needs to be retained as there will be an inevitable rebuild after this year. I'm also hoping they do everything they can to keep Pelletier as he can be moved at the draft next season for multiple 1sts and prospects.

The only way I could see L'Heureux getting moved is if Noah Dobson is sent back from the NHL and there is a bidding war between Cape Breton, Moncton Sherbrooke & Rimouski. None of those teams could offer a franchise player like L'Heureux. It may be in the Cats best interest for Dobson to stay in the NHL.

Possible defenceman the Cats could go after

Jared McIsaac (HAL) - unlikely given that he belongs to a division rival who the Cats rarely trade with, but theres been a couple rumors that he'd waive his no trade clause to play for Moncton. He hasn't played a game yet as he's recrding from a surgery. Played on World Junior team last year and likely will this year as well.

Samuel Bolduc (BBA) - great size and offensive ability, can also be a shutdown guy. 2nd round pick of the NY Islanders. This is who I'm hoping for

Alexis Arsenault (RN) - played big minutes on a memorial cup winning team. Defense first guy but can chip in offensively. Solid, likely cheaper than the 1st two

Xavier Bouchard (BAC) - Vegas draft pick. Has size and a mean streak but great offensive skills as well. Did not look great in the Canada Russia series.

Karl Boudrias (VDO) - smaller offensive defenseman. The cheapest option out of this list.

There's other options out there but those are the top 5 I'd say. Justin Bergeron is missing from this list but is strongly rumored to be heading to Chicoutimi when the trade period opens due to compensation for Dobson making the NHL.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:04 PM

This is a rumour from the back pew of my church this morning. I am not saying this is gospel, however, the man who told me I have known for years and he does not tend to make stuff up.

My friends grandson is a QMJHL SCOUT. The grandson told his grandfather that this is the rumour going around among the scouts: The Islanders will send Dobson back to his Junior team. Then Dobson will be traded to the Wildcats in the Christmas trading period.

I have no way of confirming this, however, I do live in Noah's hometown so I CAN see a rumour like this starting here.

Please do not shoot the messenger if not true, Dobson is still in the NHL AFAIK and may stay for all I know.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Nov 17, 2019 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Intriguing.

I'm of two minds about this sort of thing.

I fully realize the normal building cycle that exists in major junior hockey, and how you have to build the best team possible to achieve a 1-2 year window to take a run for the Memorial Cup, and how this cycle requires careful planning in terms of draft picks, free agents, trades and future considerations.

Dobson would be a tremendous acquisition for the team, but he would be a hired gun, who would end up playing only 30-40 games for the team (playoffs included). To get Dobson would require a hefty price, likely in terms of multiple first round draft picks and/or trades for "players to be named later", possibly including future marquee players like l'Heureux.

Would it all be worth it if it means your team spends the next 4-5 years in the wilderness.............

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:

Intriguing.

I'm of two minds about this sort of thing.

I fully realize the normal building cycle that exists in major junior hockey, and how you have to build the best team possible to achieve a 1-2 year window to take a run for the Memorial Cup, and how this cycle requires careful planning in terms of draft picks, free agents, trades and future considerations.

Dobson would be a tremendous acquisition for the team, but he would be a hired gun, who would end up playing only 30-40 games for the team (playoffs included). To get Dobson would require a hefty price, likely in terms of multiple first round draft picks and/or trades for "players to be named later", possibly including future marquee players like l'Heureux.

Would it all be worth it if it means your team spends the nexHpt 4-5 years in the wilderness.............
I am of the mind to say this probably will not happen. He is not even in the Q, so it cannot happen until he is. I agree with you Monctonrad it is a big price to pay. Here is why I Think it may happen and the only reason I POSTED it:

HOW BAD does Mr. Irving want a Memorial cup???

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 6:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
HOW BAD does Mr. Irving want a Memorial cup???
I think we all know the answer to that question..........

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
We asked our players what the most intimidating rink in the #QMJHL is and here's what they answered!

https://twitter.com/QMJHL/status/1195796252983738368

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:46 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Wildcats up to 2nd in the country! Big game against Chicoutimi tonight at the Avenir Centre!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And three of the top four teams in the country coming from the Q - that's almost unheard of!!

Tonight's game will be a big test and also a tremendous challenge for the Wildcats. We're going to be missing four players (Spence, Dow & Rumsey to injury and Khobanov to suspension). Hopefully everyone brings their "A" game to the arena.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, quite a statement by the Moncton Wildcats tonight at the Avenir Centre.

The CHL #2 ranked Moncton Wildcats shut out the CHL #4 ranked Chicoutimi Sagueneens in a battle for first place in the QMJHL Eastern Conference by a score of 4-0.

Olivier Rodrique was flawless in net, making several NHL calibre saves on his way to his first shutout as a Moncton Wildcat. Offence was supplied by Jeremy McKenna and Jakob Pelletier with two goals each.

The turning point of the game was in the first two minutes of the second period, when the Wildcats killed a nearly two minute five on three advantage by Chicoutimi. The Sagueneens were playing aggressively (and borderline dirty) and the crowd was heckling the refs for a couple of missed calls. This (and a good open ice hit by Pelletier) inspired the Cats who scored two relatively quick goals to go ahead 3-0.

An outstanding game by the Wildcats - not perfect by any means, but they proved again that they can go toe to toe with the leading teams in the league, and will not be intimidated. The victory was especially sweet given the fact we were down four players.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:47 PM

Spence & Rumsey are back in the lineup for Moncton tonight

for the visiting Foreurs they feature 2nd overall pick Justin Robidas who is the son of former NHL'r Stephane Robidas (Montreal, Dallas etc.)

tomorrow vs. Blainville Boisbriand Armada former Wildcat Adam Capanelli plays his first game back in Moncton since being traded in the off season. Its also Wawanesa Toy drive night.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 2:12 AM

With an 8-5 win tonight the Wildcats have moved into first place in the QMJHL.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 2:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
With an 8-5 win tonight the Wildcats have moved into first place in the QMJHL.
Tied for first in points, but we have one more win, and we beat the Phoenix in our only meeting so far this year.

Dare I speculate that in the next CHL rankings, we will be #1 in the country???

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 3:40 PM

Looks like Sherbrooke is actually still ahead due to goal differential. The 2 teams are tied in regulation + OT wins which is the 1st tiebreaker.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces