HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:34 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I feel like that's a missing piece for you guys.
I completely disagree. "Missing piece" implies that it is needed/required. Not so fast my friend.

And, unless you are located in Asia, and have a bottomless bucket of cash, those types of towers are not being built anymore. They cost too much to build with very little return on capital investment.

Additionally, unless it is mega-tall, it will loose it's luster should actual buildings be built around it at or taller in height.

For example - Take the following towers and place them in downtown San Antonio:
The Austonian and Independent plus if/when complete - 6XG, 4th & Brazos, BBVA, Block 16, The Republic, Travis II, and Tower 5C - they will all be taller than the roof of The Tower of the Americas (622'). Four of those will be very near or taller than the height to the tip of its antenna (~730').

The iconic tower/spire would disappear. Its unobstructed view of the city would be reduced dramatically.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 15, 2020 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I completely disagree. "Missing piece" implies that it is needed/required. Not so fast my friend.

And, unless you are located in Asia, and have a bottomless bucket of cash, those types of towers are not being built anymore. They cost too much to build with very little return on capital investment.

Additionally, unless it is mega-tall, it will loose it's luster should actual buildings be built around it at or taller in height.

For example - Take the following towers and place them in downtown San Antonio:
The Austonian and Independent plus if/when complete - 6XG, 4th & Brazos, BBVA, Block 16, The Republic, Travis II, and Tower 5C - they will all be taller than the roof of The Tower of the Americas (622'). Four will be near or taller than the height to the tip of its antenna (~730').

The iconic tower/spire would disappear. Its unobstructed view of the city would be reduced dramatically.
completely agree.

ToA was sooo cool.....when I was 10. Took my kids there last year.....yawn. The history is cool, the food TERRIBLE, views are ok. I think these towers had their day....kinda like a old carnival ride from the 70's. The memories are much better than reality. Most of the guests I saw could barely get off their phones to look at the view....which is really all you get. It's not like you are perched on the Grand Canyon....or a skyline view framed by Mt Rainier, Pacific Ocean, or even Puget Sound.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:52 PM

We have drones now. We dont need observations decks anymore. lol. But If we did have one, I agree the statesman site would be the best place. The only on I have been on is the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. The view with the lights of the strip was pretty cool but nothing that different than the street view. I would never go on the rides up there though.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:17 PM

The observation tower conundrum resurfaces and continues. For poopies and giggles, if it should ever happen, it would be about the same time that the approx. million bats under the Congress Ave. Bridge develop the ability to speak a human language and collectively complain about the crowded living conditions under said bridge to an open minded and receptive City Council, and NASA begins plans to open the first Snack Shack on the Moon.
AND...President Snoop Dog announces the Nation wide legalization of marijuana. Then we can cut the ribbon on our new observation tower.

https://youtu.be/zMRrNY0pxfM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:33 PM

wow, so much tower hate. I had no idea the Austin crew got so fired up about the subject, haha.

I get your points on ROI, drones offering views, etc but people would still flock to it if you had one. Seattle has a wonderful skyline but the Space Needle is the cherry on top. When I think of Sleepless in Seattle, I think of the Space Needle. Chicago? Sears tower observation deck.

so if a tower isn't on the horizon, then will one of these skyscrapers offer an observation deck for us cheesy tourists?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:58 PM

I think a skyscraper would only be observation deck-worthy if it was an attraction in itself. And in order for it to be an attraction it needs to have exemplary design and some serious height - something that would become a symbol of the city, that anyone from anywhere on the globe and say "that's in Austin."

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 6:18 PM
World Traveler

I mean....we could have had The Wire for tourists...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
wow, so much tower hate. I had no idea the Austin crew got so fired up about the subject, haha.

I get your points on ROI, drones offering views, etc but people would still flock to it if you had one. Seattle has a wonderful skyline but the Space Needle is the cherry on top. When I think of Sleepless in Seattle, I think of the Space Needle. Chicago? Sears tower observation deck.

so if a tower isn't on the horizon, then will one of these skyscrapers offer an observation deck for us cheesy tourists?
Do you have some examples of good views from observation towers? When ever people post photos of city skylines of cities like Seattle or San antonio or Toronto or Tokyo, It is never from the observation tower. Why is that? I am trying to be open minded because I do think it would be a good addition but I do see it as a waste of money and taking up space.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 7:16 PM

We are not hosting a worlds fair we do not need a damn observation tower lol

I think "observation decks" a la empire state building or sears tower are cool and it would be nice to see a skyscraper with one in Austin

do they let people on UT tower anymore? doesn't that have an observation deck?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Do you have some examples of good views from observation towers? When ever people post photos of city skylines of cities like Seattle or San antonio or Toronto or Tokyo, It is never from the observation tower. Why is that? I am trying to be open minded because I do think it would be a good addition but I do see it as a waste of money and taking up space.
What I think is good may be looked at as terrible by others. I just think any view from hundreds of feet in the air is inspiring whether you are looking out on miles of suburbs, raw land, or midrises. Also, CN tower is pretty amazing if you get an opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
We are not hosting a worlds fair we do not need a damn observation tower lol

I think "observation decks" a la empire state building or sears tower are cool and it would be nice to see a skyscraper with one in Austin

do they let people on UT tower anymore? doesn't that have an observation deck?
To get this thread back on track to 6X...do we know if they will put an observation deck on it for the public?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
We have drones now. We dont need observations decks anymore. lol.
True but it's still cool to see the view from a high height in person.

===

Quote:
I had the pleasure of working at Salesforce a couple of years ago and I absolutely LOVED working at our top floor when I had the chance. We had a 360 view of all over the city. The only way to get up top is if you or someone you know works there, otherwise you have to schedule a 30 minute tour months ahead.

Here's a video I made a couple of years ago if anyone is interested. I recorded on my phone so sorry if it's bad quality:
Video Link

LA actually has a free observation deck on top of their city hall. They also have SkySpace, which is an attraction, and Spire 73 (a bar) on Wilshire but you need to spend $50 minimum.

Lastly, New York opened their new observatory deck called "Edge" in Hudson Yards mid-March. Something I definitely want to experience next time I go to NY.

===

But honestly, I don't think it's required for Austin to have one but it will definitely be a huge plus in my books. Definitely another thing a tourist or local can do around the city.

I don't believe 6x will be open to the public but it might be a similar situation as Salesforce tower in San Francisco where it's only for employees and their friends and family

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:12 PM

Thx for sharing that video Gilly. I love the two guys that are facing an amazing view but are looking down at their computers, lol. I'm with you on wanting to visit Hudson Yards. That view looks amazing.

Last edited by Tornado; Sep 15, 2020 at 9:13 PM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:07 AM

Eh, I just want us to get a 1000+ soon.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:04 PM

Sorry to derail this thread, but Austin does have an observation tower; it is at COTA.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
2 weeks later (Last post was Sep 2)

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...6-E3C4B0C3B2C1

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:41 PM

I have to see how I can get a closer view of that site from my drone. My recent photos I took off from Duncan Park. I can only go east about 2 to 3 blocks before the no fly zone over the Jail blocks me. Maybe Republic Square Park?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
I have to see how I can get a closer view of that site from my drone. My recent photos I took off from Duncan Park. I can only go east about 2 to 3 blocks before the no fly zone over the Jail blocks me. Maybe Republic Square Park?
Doug Sahm Hill Summit.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 10:53 PM

I believe the podium will be completed around the first of next year. One floor a week topping out sometime in the spring of 2022

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 8:57 AM

Once Upon A Time.....

Once Upon A Time.....

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Once Upon A Time.....
I really wish they had incorporated slender occupied spaces into the podium as sort of a nod to the Alamo Hotel instead of a 12 story blank façade. In the width of a single bay of parking, there could be a single loaded bay of efficiency units on each side of the podium. That alone would improve the project 100% in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin