HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I hope nobody got paid too much for that diagram, the "high school" is literally Leo Hayes High School in Fredericton. I didn't even go there and recognized it instantly.

It’s likely a filler image. The government has likely made plans of their own.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
It’s likely a filler image. The government has likely made plans of their own.
With no junior or senior high schools, they need to start this ASAP. I'm sure the design would change to fit. With 11,000+ estimated in the next census, this is a
very important problem that needs to be addressed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 12:45 PM

UPEI MultiFunction Residence

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 11:44 PM

74 Kensington Rd Apartments #2 & #3

The first apartment (Ironwood) is well underway with the third floor being presently constructed.
The other two apartments behind Ironwood have been:

APPROVED
74-76 Kensington Road
Phase I: Foundation for two additional 30-unit apartment buildings
Brendan MacDonald

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:46 PM

Stratford subdivision meets minimum requirements
for rezoning, council approves development.

A proposed 73-unit subdivision is up to snuff and has the thumbs up from Stratford's council.......

MORE HERE > https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/l..._term=Autofeed

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
74 Kensington Rd Apartments #2 & #3

The first apartment (Ironwood) is well underway with the third floor being presently constructed.
The other two apartments behind Ironwood have been:

APPROVED
74-76 Kensington Road
Phase I: Foundation for two additional 30-unit apartment buildings
Brendan MacDonald
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ironwood

Ironwood Apartment article that appeared in the Guardian today.

MORE HERE > https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/l...tetown-496673/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 11:09 PM
Rjl

Check this out guys ! What’s your thought on this ?

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/l...n-hold-492051/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJl View Post
Check this out guys ! What’s your thought on this ?

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/l...n-hold-492051/
I did see that and it has to be built because Covid is killing tourism and we need more people to live downtown to support businesses, etc. The old fogies of the old 1970 development plan, a 1/2 century old now, are against it of course but they need to get with the new era, especially now, to allow development and people to live downtown to live and work. If they don't, we'll see a mass closure of business and downtown will become nothing but a bedroom village.
Bring it on!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:14 AM

Richmond Street Affordable Apartments

The foundation is in and is ready for Phase II.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 6:51 PM

Plans for a replacement for P.E.I.'s Hillsborough Hospital have taken a step forward.

CBC NEWS PEI

On Monday night, Charlottetown city council unanimously voted to approve a rezoning application from the province that will allow the building of a new facility in the area.

MORE HERE > https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...plan-1.5724136

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 7:59 PM

UPEI Residence

It is now topped out! I believe there is a 12ft high penthouse to be installed,
however, that was labeled as a "possible penthouse" in the rendering.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:03 AM
Rjl

Quote:
I did see that and it has to be built because Covid is killing tourism and we need more people to live downtown to support businesses, etc. The old fogies of the old 1970 development plan, a 1/2 century old now, are against it of course but they need to get with the new era, especially now, to allow development and people to live downtown to live and work. If they don't, we'll see a mass closure of business and downtown will become nothing but a bedroom village.
Bring it on!!
I totally agree with you!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:

APPROVED - 132 St. Peters Road
Phase I: Foundation - New 39 unit
apartment building
APM Commercial

What is going on with this place?

The 1st floor parking structure has been built but nothing else has happened in the last 4 months. All signage has been taken away, equipment has been removed and now weeds are growing.

Last edited by billy1; Sep 16, 2020 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
What is going on with this place?

The 1st floor parking structure has been built but nothing else has happened in the last 4 months. All signage has been taken away, equipment has been removed and now weeds are growing.
Maybe it is due to the shortage of workers. APM may have had to delay this building as a few priority jobs came online after being stalled at the permit level. For example, King Kar has to be out of their building on Jan 1st. APM was literally screaming to get an approved permit. That project just got started this month which has to be completed by January. Also, the affordable housing unit in Stratford, John Yeo plaza and East Coast Trucking, etc are on the build at this time. Maybe this is why. Either that, IRAC has received an appeal against it and they just threw it aside for now.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 18, 2020 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 1:13 AM

Anyone have more information on this tender

This was brought forward at the
SPECIAL MEETING OF COUNCIL
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2020 AT 5:00 PM

Tender Award:
Perimeter Highway Active Transportation Corridor - Phase 1
Charlottetown, Queens County, Prince Edward Island
Construct Connect Project ID: 1005670874

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Anyone have more information on this tender

This was brought forward at the
SPECIAL MEETING OF COUNCIL
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2020 AT 5:00 PM

Tender Award:
Perimeter Highway Active Transportation Corridor - Phase 1
Charlottetown, Queens County, Prince Edward Island
Construct Connect Project ID: 1005670874
Council deferred voting on this tender yesterday. I did look at the drawings that were posted in the tender website, looks like a big project.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 11:08 AM

New displaced left turn at St. Peters Road and the bypass will be the first in Canada

P.E.I. will become the first in Canada, says the province, to introduce drivers to what traffic engineers call a displaced left turn.

More than 45,000 vehicles funnel through the intersection at St. Peters Road and the bypass highway in Charlottetown every day.

Stephen Yeo, chief engineer with the Department of Transportation, says the province had to make changes.

"We had traffic backed up in both directions here at times hundreds of meters," Yeo said from the construction site at the busy intersection.

Walking the bypass highway: City, province join together for new trail
New bypass making it 'easier to get in and out' on Cornwall's Main Street
'A lot more efficient and it's safer'
The province studied many options, including a roundabout, an overpass as well as "jug handle" intersection.

Each of these options had various obstacles, but a Halifax consultant recommended the province take a closer look at the displaced left turn — which is widely used in Salt Lake City, Utah, a city of more than 200,000.

Stephen Yeo, chief engineer with the Department of Transportation, says as long as drivers follow the pavement markings, read the overhead signs and obey the lights 'one should not have any problem maneuvering through this intersection.' (Wayne Thibodeau/CBC)

When Yeo and one of his engineers visited the U.S. city they were sold.

"The left turning traffic and the through traffic can go at the same time, so the intersection becomes a lot more efficient," he said. "And it's safer as well, because you don't have that T-bone effect if somebody happened to not pay attention to the lights."

The displaced left intersection can handle upwards of 125,000 vehicles, he said, and will allow a lot less idling time and wait times for vehicles.

So, how does it work?
Yeo said as long as drivers follow the pavement markings, read the overhead signs and obey the lights they "should not have any problem maneuvering through this intersection."

Drivers wanting to make a left turn off the bypass onto St. Peters Road will crossover to the opposite-side of the road into an exclusive left-turn lane. (Shane Hennessey/CBC)
Drivers wanting to make a left turn off the bypass onto St. Peters Road will veer into the left turning lane, the same as they always did.

As they approach the intersection, they will stop at a set of lights just before the main intersection. Drivers will then crossover to the opposite side of the road into an exclusive left-turn lane.

That exclusive left-turn lane, or displaced left turn, will then proceed up to the main intersection.

Power outages won't be an issue at the intersection. There is a six-hour battery backup on the lights and dedicated generators on standby.

Right turns on red lights no longer allowed
But there will be one major change which Yeo said people "will have to get used to" and that is that drivers will no longer be allowed to turn right on a red light at the intersection.

More than 45,000 vehicles funnel through the intersection at St. Peters Road and the bypass highway in Charlottetown every day, making it one of the busiest on the Island. (Wayne Thibodeau/CBC)
The work will cost about $5.3 million, cost-shared between the provincial and federal governments.

It will open in mid-October.

But not before the province launches a series of educational videos to help Islanders get comfortable with the new intersection.

'You gotta have eyes in the back of your head'
A couple residents were split on the idea.

Sandra Birt, of Pisquid, is worried about the new intersection. Her local pharmacy is right on the corner.

Sandra Birt of Pisquid says she's worried about the new intersection. Her local pharmacy is right on the corner. (Shane Hennessey/CBC)
"Oh my, oh my, you gotta have eyes in the back of your head coming in because it's confusing, very confusing," said Birt. "I said to my husband 'You're going to have to take me through this first, so I can get the hang of the new way of going.'"

But John Younker of Stratford said the province should have introduced the new intersection years ago to deal with the traffic backlog.

"It's progression," said Younker. "I have no issues with it at all. It's going to take a little while to get used to, obviously, but I have no issues with it at all."

'We won't be the only ones for long'
Next summer, the province plans to expand St. Peters Road to four lanes between the intersection east to MacWilliams Road, with an active transportation trail, and construct three more roundabouts along that section of road.

A truck is seen crossing over to the opposite side of the road into an exclusive left-turn lane, also known as a displaced left turn. The new intersection at the bypass at St. Peters Road will be opening in mid-October. (Wayne Thibodeau/CBC)
Yeo said the province is seriously considering a second displaced left turning lane at the intersection of the bypass and Malpeque Road, near the old Sears store.

He expects displaced left turn intersections to catch on across the country, because they are efficient and cheaper than some of the other options, like overpasses.

"I'm sure that the displaced lefts, we won't be the only ones for long."

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...turn-1.5728194

Last edited by billy1; Sep 21, 2020 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
New displaced left turn at St. Peters Road and the bypass will be the first in Canada

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...turn-1.5728194
Here is a video of how it works!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/154488...16028758524263

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:53 AM

Quote:

It’s too bad the province didn’t budget a few extra bucks to put all the electric lines underground, and continue the project along St Peter’s Rd as work begins widening that stretch next spring. I’ve always through that there should be a “dream list” of projects put on paper for the next 25 years, and this list must be consulted before approving new projects to see if a “dream list” item could be tacked on to save money / get more bang for the buck.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure how well this will work, but I feel like that for not that much money they could have just built an overpass with a proper interchange. The benefits of this would be that you wouldn’t have to stop on the highway at all. Ideally I’d like to see the whole bypass have overpasses, but at this point I feel it’s unlikely that they will get built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces