Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 4:24 PM

Cities Should Sell Their Airports To Close Gaping Budget Holes

Privatizing Airports Is a No-Brainer

August 18, 2020

By Joseph Guinto

Read More: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...rports/615331/

Quote:

Sell LAX and LEX and PHX and JAX. Put OKC and OAK on the block with DFW and MDW and more. U.S. cities spent billions building these airports, and although hardly anyone knows it, they’re worth billions more on the open market. — Selling airfields is hardly a panacea, but some would fetch enough to allow cities to shore up their shaken balance sheets and, in certain cases, address some of the big issues they’ve been kicking down the road, decaying bridges, polluted rivers, crumbling school buildings. And the buyers are waiting, even during the pandemic.

- The cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, which spent at least $8 billion in today’s money to turn a massive patch of prairie scrub into one of the world’s biggest airports, didn’t get one nickel of that. No city owner would have. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) does not allow local governments to use any money from non-aviation profits for anything other than reinvestment in the airports themselves. A city can’t build a baseball diamond with the profits of its airport. It can just build more airport. — If privatization seems extreme or perhaps unsafe, consider that, under FAA rules, U.S. cities, counties, and other public entities can’t actually sell off the runways, terminals, and land that make up their “commercial service airports,” the kind that most of us use to catch a flight. What they can sell are long-term leases to let private companies operate everything at an airport. And the outside operators would still be beholden to the FAA and the Transportation Security Administration and various regulations applied to every U.S. airport.

- Today, more than 100 major airports around the world are privately run. In 2018, three-quarters of all passenger traffic in Europe and 66 percent of all passenger traffic in Latin America and the Caribbean passed through privately run airports, according to Airports Council International. In the United States, privatization was legalized for a limited number of airports in 1997, and in 2018, Congress opened privatization to any U.S. airport. But only one major passenger airport, San Juan’s Luis Muñoz Marín International has been privatized, and a few other airports have privatized certain terminals (including, recently, the newly reconstructed Terminal B at New York’s LaGuardia). Terminal-specific operational leases are fine as far as they go, but they don’t come with the massive, up-front paydays that are part of a full airport lease. The rest of the world knows what the U.S. doesn’t: that privatization pays. A lot.

- “It would, candidly, surprise most people in local governments in the U.S. to find out what their assets are worth,” says Tim Bath, a managing director at PJ Solomon, a financial advisory firm in New York and Houston that works with operators and investors on airport-privatization deals around the world. — Big, public pension funds are among those ready and eager to invest. They want to put their money into public infrastructure such as airports and toll roads because those assets pay out steady returns over decades. “The level of appetite for U.S. airports and other infrastructure is as significant as it was prior to COVID-19, and the amount of investable capital hasn’t gone anywhere,” Bath told me. — John Schmidt, an attorney with Mayer Brown in Chicago, who represented the city of Chicago in its 2008 attempt to privatize Midway Airport, told me that private buyers abroad have cut up-front checks to an airport’s public owner that are worth 17 times the airport’s operating cash flow. Sometimes more.

You could see the following up-front payments, according to multiple infrastructure experts:

• Millions of dollars for very small airports, such as Vicksburg Municipal;

• Hundreds of millions for small international airports, such as the 20-gate Palm Springs International;

• $1 billion to $3 billion for midsize airports, such as St. Louis Lambert International; and

•$5 billion up into the tens of billions, perhaps even $20 billion, for the biggest U.S. airports, such as DFW.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 5:16 PM

Millions of Chicagoans suddenly cried out in terror at the thought of selling off public assets.

But seriously. Publicly operated airports might suffer from inefficiency, but at least that money is staying in the metro for the most part. Patronage is the classic back door to FAA rules. The foreign pension funds have a real incentive to invest in upgrades as opposed to milking the airport for investment returns. /s

The real solution is to change the FAA rules about investing and let cities take home some of the profits without having to sell their asset.

After the initial lump sum payment which the majority of cities will not spend wisely at all, there’s not much upside if your city’s airport is already doing well. (The equation could work out if the city has a failing airport and manages to find a sucker.)

https://www.stlmag.com/news/should-t...-lambert-inte/

Good report on privatization pursuits and outcomes in the U.S.
https://www.enotrans.org/wp-content/...11.28.2018.pdf

Last edited by galleyfox; Aug 20, 2020 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Privatizing Airports Is a No-Brainer

August 18, 2020

By Joseph Guinto

Read More: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...rports/615331/

People like to cringe at Privatized transportation these days even tbough the golden age of mass transit and Train Travel was mostly private.

However I also dont know if immediate cash is worth selling such a massive asset, I was always under the impression most cities were very happy with all the ancilery income they made from airports.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:42 PM

I think all major Canadian airports are privately owned. They’re very nice terminals - usually more modern than what you get in the States but, man, we pay through the nose to fly here. Some of the ticket cost goes to pay the exorbitant landing fees that these airports charge or the big airport improvement fees.

At least these fees are hidden. In the 90s some Canadian airports set up a cashier right before you entered security and forced you to pay their AIF right there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I think all major Canadian airports are privately owned. They’re very nice terminals - usually more modern than what you get in the States but, man, we pay through the nose to fly here. Some of the ticket cost goes to pay the exorbitant landing fees that these airports charge or the big airport improvement fees.
Oh, please. I know people who go out of their way to avoid flying through Pearson.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:54 PM

Unless the money stays local no.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:11 PM

The real question is why would you wanna give away something that you own to a greedy company? Yeah pass. As long as the city owns the airport it's better for everyone. Privatization is almost always bad in the long run.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:25 PM

Neoliberal bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 9:12 PM
Never Dell

Privatization sets bad incentives, even if the contract is pretty strict.

For one, a multi-decade lease will typically have a non-compete clause, i.e. it's tougher, or prohibitive, to build capacity elsewhere.

Two, they'll find a way to make money. If the basic fees are capped, they'll find other avenues to charge through the nose, or cut services. Long-term maintenance is a common sticking point...they don't want to pay for stuff with a 50-year benefit if they'll be gone in 20 years.

Another point: Once you've made this deal, you can't do it again, at least for the life of the deal. Don't shoot your wad until you really need to.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:00 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Oh, please. I know people who go out of their way to avoid flying through Pearson.
I'm sure you're familiar with this, but the City of Cincinnati/State of Ohio hardly reap any benefits from having the metro's primary airport on the other side of the river.

One of my favorite things to do (because I'm lame) was pick up friends/coworkers from out-of-state and welcome them to the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions