HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 9:29 PM

wowowwoowowowow

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:48 PM

Great photos! Your commentary about the blandness of Columbus is something that people from Cleveland and Cincinnati have been saying for years. Cbus has made GREAT strides in recent years, and the High Street corridor from Downtown to Ohio State's campus (roughly 3 miles) is probably the most vibrant continuous stretch of urbanity in the entire midwest outside of Chicago. German Village is sleepy but cute, and there are some great residential neighborhoods in the city and nearby suburbs like Bexley and Upper Arlington.

That said, Columbus still feels like a very generic, soulless city to me. Part of this might be because it's become a city of transplants, mostly from little melted down towns from across Ohio. I also think the unrelenting flatness of Columbus contributes to the feeling you've described. It's flat as a pancake and doesn't have a large body of water to orient around, unlike the other 2 C's in Ohio. The city also revolves around OSU a surprising amount for the size of the city, and sometimes feels like a college town that accidentally became a big city. It lacks much of the traditional culture and legacy institutions that one can find in Cleveland and Cincinnati, though that is improving a bit with the expansion of their small art museum, new veterans museum, COSI, great zoo, etc. It's also interesting to see no pictures of the capitol building in this thread...it's quite ugly as far as capitol buildings go. Having a grand capitol building ala Madison or Austin would be cool and would help the imageability of Cbus, but that is what it is. Columbus is young and the population is pretty open minded and liberal for the most part. They have a large gay population (one of the biggest Pride parades in the country), a large Somali population (second behind Minneapolis, I think), growing Hispanic and Asian communities, and the fact that it's kind of a blank slate is appealing to a lot of people. Cincinnati has character in spades, but can be insular and hard to break in, as locals can be kind of stand-offish and skeptical of outsiders. Columbus doesn't have any of that baggage, and that's a good thing. I think Cbus will develop more of its own vibe and culture in coming years, as its urban neighborhoods have a chance to get more established and lived in. The futre is bright for Columbus, I think! Thanks for sharing your photos!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:04 PM
Meh

Columbus reminds me a bit of Austin here and there with its landscape.

This, for example, reminds me a lot of Hamilton Pool west of Austin. What a beautiful place.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4899/...81bba969_b.jpg

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 12:47 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Enjoyable post. Good work!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 2:05 AM

Interesting thread!
I'm from Columbus and lived there most of my childhood. I moved out to Chicago because Columbus just got tired and much too bland, generic and small town living for me. It made me hate the idea of suburban living.
But I absolutely love coming back to visit. It for sure has a charm about it and it looks like it's developing into something new that I wouldn't know nothing about, not living there for the past 10 years. However I am very happy I upgraded to Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

This, for example, reminds me a lot of Hamilton Pool west of Austin. What a beautiful place.

Those nature pics are from Hocking Hills State Park, which is about an hour southeast of Columbus. While Cbus itself is extremely flat, if you drive just a little east or south, you run into the Appalachian foothills. Hocking Hills is a truly beautiful landscape.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Those nature pics are from Hocking Hills State Park, which is about an hour southeast of Columbus. While Cbus itself is extremely flat, if you drive just a little east or south, you run into the Appalachian foothills. Hocking Hills is a truly beautiful landscape.
I didn't visit Hocking Hills until right before I moved away from Columbus. I wish I had visited sooner. Hocking Hills is absolutely beautiful, and if you live near Columbus, please do yourself a favor and check it out!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:40 PM

Nice looking city!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 10:13 PM
E pluribus unum

Were some of those shots from the Rhodes Tower observation deck? I thought that closed?

Columbus is being the best Columbus it can be. Really enjoyed the tour

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:23 PM
Posh

Those older neighborhoods look great to me. Doesn't look like anything to complain about IMO.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

I've been doing viewings on American city skylines for over 20 years, but Columbus being related to Austin...wow there is something I'd never

To my surprise as comparing those twos, Columbus does look like Austin something, I mean, the old Austin, before those modernish, cookiecutter condos rising up.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 1:01 PM

Great tour - very impressed.

This is one weighty cornice for a two-strory builing:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 5:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
I've been doing viewings on American city skylines for over 20 years, but Columbus being related to Austin...wow there is something I'd never

To my surprise as comparing those twos, Columbus does look like Austin something, I mean, the old Austin, before those modernish, cookiecutter condos rising up.

its not about looks so much as it is that they are extremely similar in being once sleepy, hippyish capital cities with very large colleges that later boomed.

while today's boomtown stuff looks a bit different in each city, they kind of started from the same place.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 12:53 AM

Columbus is only bland if you're comparing it to Cincy and Cleveland. I can think of many cities in the US that are much blander. Cool pics.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Columbus is only bland if you're comparing it to Cincy and Cleveland. I can think of many cities in the US that are much blander. Cool pics.
Cincinnati is much more interesting than Columbus, way more local culture and interesting neighborhoods. I don't personally care for Cleveland as a place but it's a more interesting city. The Cleveland Art Museum alone puts it way ahead of Columbus.

If you want to compare I have a Cincinnati thread here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232449

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:00 PM

Yeah, that's basically what I said. Cincy and Cleveland are pretty high on the interesting cities list, those are relatively high standards.

Columbus is vastly more interesting and far less bland than say places like Dallas.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Yeah, that's basically what I said. Cincy and Cleveland are pretty high on the interesting cities list, those are relatively high standards.

Columbus is vastly more interesting and far less bland than say places like Dallas.
Misinterpreted what you said. I agree. I'd pick Columbus over Dallas, but not there's many cities similarly sized to Columbus that are more more interesting, more vibrant, and are more progressive about urban issues.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:33 PM
Gatinois et fier

beautiful photos.the city looks very clean.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 11:34 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Cincinnati is much more interesting than Columbus, way more local culture and interesting neighborhoods. I don't personally care for Cleveland as a place but it's a more interesting city. The Cleveland Art Museum alone puts it way ahead of Columbus.

If you want to compare I have a Cincinnati thread here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232449

wrong preference lol!

but seriously, even if you are going to pick a favorite exclusively among the big ohio three c’s, i would ask which one third of columbus are you going to compare to cle or cinci? because remember cols city is like 3x the size of them area-wise.

personally i really like the differences of all three c’s and i think most ohioans do too, although lets face it everyone seems to be banking on columbus in droves these days. while cinci treads water and cle makes up ground cols is going to be rocketing forward in growth for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 5:51 AM
reticulating splines

This thread was a great chaser after watching the Blue Jackets win in double overtime in Boston.

Lived in Ohio from 2014-16 and got to know Cbus a bit. Glad I did. It's a city that keeps getting better. Saw a lot of familiar sights here, and some not-so-familiar, because new stuff is always going up.

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos