HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:49 AM

South Clintonville, Columbus

Here's the main drag in South Clintonville (the better half) which has a good variety of retail and some dining options. There's not much in the way of nightlife here and your best bet is probably off High at Studio 35 were you can watch a movie and grab a pint at the bar beforehand. This part of Clintonville is the funky, fun side of the neighborhood as opposed to the stuffy, more suburban area up north.

MAP

The number of cyclists out was surprising. Here's a video of me driving my bike on this 35MPH road. It's not hard at all, I swear.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3PP2OHYlpfA

Welcome: we have strip malls. Trust me, it gets better, but this is the chasm that severs Clintonville and Old North Columbus.

O'Reilly's was my go-to neighborhood bar/pub: good food too.

Went here with a friend one night and while I didn't get sick I felt disgusting from all the greasy food I ate.

Same friends insists I get the sausage pizza here: it's made with homemade sausage and quickly made clear why they've stuck around for decades.

The place to go for chicken feet, live frogs, and durians.

Urban infill.

There are lots of sad people in Boston: they closed both shops there to open this one. Score one for C-bus. *Update* Closed and is now Vienna Ice Cafe.

To the left of that car wash is a pet wash.

Great coffeeshop.

Not crazy about the Hummer. *Update* Slated to become a vegan lunch spot: City Beet.

Another reason Columbus is the vegetarian/vegan capital of Ohio.

Just a reminder that we have hills. Not big hills, but hills nonetheless.

Bars are a rarity here; most of Clintonville is dry.

Density: what Clintonville needs. This development burnt down in the winter but rose like a phoenix.

Many people were sad when this diner closed. They've since reopened.

Another friend of mine swears by this place when it comes to BBQ.

Ghost ad. Can only make out "Clintonville".

Whole World is, I think, the oldest vegetarian restaurant/bakery in the city.

A rather popular thrift store.

Sushi from a deli?

Seagull Bags is great. Apparently, their messenger bags are big in Japan.

The roundabout which isn't going forward would have required demolition of the building on the corner.

North of North Broadway it gets much too sprawly. You best just turn 'round and go back where ya came from.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:49 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Clintonville in general feels more Great Lakes as opposed to the actual old city of Columbus. Quite a contrast at Dodridge.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:45 AM
International

Columbus' subtle diversity is fascinating and intriguing. I had previous known little about its Indian and Somali populations. That said, while the dining options on these corridors almost always look enticing, the short, stubby buildings, coupled with wide, overbearing avenues/boulevards, seems overwhelming to the pedestrian.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:12 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

^Clintonville is an old suburb the city annexed. As stated, it has a more Great Lakes feel (wider streets; one story retail; wood-frame housing; apartment blocks) than the actual old city of Columbus.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 10:18 PM

It would feel narrower if the buildings on either side of this wide stretch of road were taller, but a proposed four story apartment-retail building received negative feedback: too tall and not enough parking. Good thing is that the city made the right-hand lanes shared lanes with big bike markings (those weren't added until after I did the video) and it is much easier to get around the neighborhood by bike than by foot. There were a few curb bumpouts here and there, but they really should be the rule rather than the exception on a road that is seven lanes wide (with parking lanes included).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos