HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 2:01 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2013 in NAGOYA

Thanks to a long weekend, I searched for a nearby destination with not too many attractions but enough to fill up 3-4 days comfortably. I didn't want to stress myself. With the yen far cheaper this year, the final choice was Nagoya!

The Futaba Museum occupies the former residence of Japan's 1st actress, Sadayakko Kawakami. This area is known as the Cultural Path, where architecture from the Edo, Meiji, Taisho, and Showa eras can be seen.

The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Money Museum is a small facility but has an extensive collection of coins and bank notes, including the world's largest gold coin.

The Atsuta Shrine was founded some 1900 years ago by enshrining a sacred sword. The current structures are reconstructions after World War II.

Lunch is served - a simple yet delicious noodle.

Nagoya Castle was built in 1612 along the Tokaido Road for protecting the vital link with Osaka. Today's castle is a reconstruction from 1959 as the original and the Hommaru Palace were destroyed in World War II.

The Hommaru Palace is being rebuilt based on historic records. The first sections opened to the public in May 2013, but the reconstruction will continue until 2018. Some parts of the original survived the air raids, such as paintings and sliding doors.

More on my website at : http://www.globalphotos.org/nagoya.htm

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 3:42 PM
Community Guy

Nice little tour. We loved our time there, such a nice sized city, very manageable.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 9:09 AM
Hong Kong

The SCMAGLEV and Railway Park is a huge museum in the southern port area of the city. Exhibitions include old Shinkansen trains and descriptions of Japan's maglev developments over the years. Below is the C62 steam locomotive, the fastest of its type in narrow gauge.

MLX01-1 Superconducting Maglev

The Series 0 is the original Shinkansen.

Class Kuha 381 Electric Railcar (left) and Class Moha 52 Electric Railcar (right)

Dr. Yellow is the Shinkansen diagnostic vehicle, painted in this colour to distinguish from other rolling stock.

All aboard the Shinkansen!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:40 PM
Community Guy

0 Series is my childhood favourite!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:44 PM
hemelschraper

This looks like the place where Miyazaki got his inspiration for the palace in Spirited Away. Cool!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 5:05 AM
Hong Kong

Thanks for your support. Here are some more :

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:49 PM
Hong Kong

Nagoya is Japan's car manufacturing powerhouse, being Toyota's home. They have 3 museums in the city, of which this gallery features the Toyota Automobile Museum, built to commemorate the history of the autombile.

Upstairs, there is a vast collection of historic foreign vehicles.

This Cadillac Model A is the company's first product, dating from 1902.

The Stutz Bearcat Series F is a race car from 1914.

This luxury vehicle by Delage (Type D8-120) dates from 1939.

This Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz dates from the late 1950's, featuring features such as tail fins, air suspension, and chrome parts.

Not sure how Packard Twelve made it to Japan, but this 1939 vehicle was used by US President Franklin D. Roosevelt. For such an important occupant, the car has tank armor and bullet-proof glass.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos