HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Mini marts are awesome. I get half my calories from the two nearest me.

Ideally they're in urban format...owned by the guy at the register, no parking.
I followed 10023 into this place one day and discovered the wonders of gourmet poke bowls eaten among the hipsters:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...pUfzT89lt7CwNQ

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 10:18 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ i love that place. discovered it during a conference a few years ago. when i'm in town i generally stay somewhere farther south on Market because it's cheaper and i enjoy the walk. so i stop in there pretty frequently for dinner and beers.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:59 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
^ i love that place. discovered it during a conference a few years ago. when i'm in town i generally stay somewhere farther south on Market because it's cheaper and i enjoy the walk. so i stop in there pretty frequently for dinner and beers.
Love the market too! My wife had an event at the SFPL a few years ago (I think that was also the last time I was in SF) and I stumbled upon this place by accident.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 5:59 PM

Want more local businesses in your neighborhood? Then legalize “Accessory Commercial Units.”

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...mmercial-units

Quote:

- There’s a dearth of small-scale retail space available in most North American cities. It’s blocking budding entrepreneurs, and it’s compromising local resilience. — Working in the laneway housing space, I meet homeowners on a regular basis who dream of opening up a bike repair shop, gaming café or art studio as part of their development. Most don’t get very far before they’re told their proposed project is too “intense” for a residential area. These would-be local business owners don’t have the capital to lease super-sized retail bays, which have become the default. And in many cases, they simply don’t need that much space. But, if they could build a small structure on land they already own or turn a portion of their home into a storefront, things start to make financial and practical sense.

- In North America, most cities stipulate that commercial and residential uses remain geographically separate from one another. Retail spaces are typified by big box stores surrounded by large swaths of parking. Commercial spaces offered in new mixed-use developments, although seemingly more attractive and less auto-dependent, are often unattainable due to high costs and minimum unit sizes of 1000 square feet. Neither option is attractive to the artisanal chocolatier or young entrepreneur who wants to try out a new business idea. They can’t risk leasing a costly, oversized storefront. — What about home-based businesses? They may seem like a viable alternative, but zoning bylaws require them to be virtually invisible, they can’t change the character of the neighborhood or produce additional pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

- ACUs ask us to rethink what needs to be regulated and what we can allow to organically grow in our collective garden. ACUs are an opportunity to add diversity to our urban ecosystem that for too long has remained a monoculture. We’re not talking about allowing industrial uses with noxious fumes and unbearable noises in someone’s backyard. We’re talking about low-impact, small-scale, hyper-local, homeowner-driven passion projects that will strengthen the social and economic fabric of our neighborhoods. — Not only are keen entrepreneurs begging for small scale retail opportunities, communities are in desperate need of fine-grained amenities. Many of today’s urban dwellers want their leisure, consumption, health, and employment needs to be met within close proximity to their home in an affordable, accessible manner.

- It’s also becoming clear that waiting for big professional land developers to swoop in and transform our communities into dense, walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods is not the answer. Opportunities to bulldoze large swaths of single-family homes and replace them with higher-density, mixed-use developments are few and far between. The process of sterilizing and compartmentalizing our cities and neighborhoods didn’t happen overnight, and a return to complete communities won’t either. — We won’t get there by building more power centers disguised as “town commons.” Village concept retail without villagers is simply a caricature of a way of life that we’ve made illegal. We won’t get there by maintaining prescriptive bylaws that leave little to no room for creativity, innovation, and incremental development.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 6:54 PM
Never Dell

A more likely future: buildings full of cheap micro offices and "maker" spaces, located in semi-industrial areas. This is a trend in Seattle.

Here's a relatively new one in the Ballard district, in an area transitioning from single-story industrial but close to the growing business/apartment district. https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6678...7i16384!8i8192 and https://www.studioworksballard.com/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions