HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 6:18 PM

Here are some satellite images. I will put them in chronological order so you can see the progress.
Hollie Maea at SkyscraperCity is the uploader, and sometimes the stitcher, of all these images.

24 August 2007; by NASA (Dubai)

2 September 2007; by Digital Globe (Palm Deira)

19 October 2007; by GeoEye (Palm Jebel Ali)

19 October 2007; by GeoEye (Palm Deira)

19 October 2007; by GeoEye (The World)

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 6:19 PM

21 November 2007; by NASA MODIS (Dubai)

21 November 2007; by GeoEye (Dubai)

21 November 2007; by GeoEye (Waterfront)

21 November 2007; by GeoEye (Palm Jebel Ali)

21 November 2007; by GeoEye (Palm Jumeirah)

21 November 2007; by GeoEye (The World)

21 November 2007; by GeoEye (Palm Deira)

24 December 2007; by Digital Globe (Palm Jebel Ali and Jebel Ali Port expansion)

Last edited by LoverOfDubai; May 3, 2008 at 6:19 PM. Reason: Added last image (from December 2007)

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 6:21 PM

Now, here are the most up-to-date images. They were all taken in April 2008.

23 April 2008; by Digital Globe (Palm Deira)

28 April 2008; by Digital Globe (The World)

28 April 2008; by Digital Globe (Porto Dubai)

28 April 2008; by Digital Globe (Palm Jumeirah)

28 Apirl 2008; by Digital Globe (outer reaches of Palm Deira)

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 8:31 PM
low-riding

the palms are very impressive. the world seems kind of a failure. it will still be cool to have so many islands but i don't see the allure of having a house to you can't reach without a boat

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxFamilyGuyxx View Post
Oh I think it will.
I heard in some article or website that every 50 years 2 inches of land will be swept off the island. I know it doesin't seem like alot but it is.
If they can build acres of brand new islands in the sea in just a few years, I'm pretty sure fixing 2 inches of coastal erosion per 50 years (hell, even 2 inches per year) should not be a problem for them.

A greater problem though should be rising sea levels. If Al Gore is correct with his predictions, then Dubai is screwed.

Anyone know where on the Palm Jumeirah QE2 will be docked?

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Anyone know where on the Palm Jumeirah QE2 will be docked?
Very interesting that you ask that question. Currently at the SkyscraperCity Palm Jumeirah thread, this is being discussed. Some people think they will dock the boat on the Crescent, others think it will be on one of the Logo Islands, and others (myself included) think it will be docked on the Trunk. Some issues that come with the location is the view and how it fits in with surrounding buildings.

If the QE2 is docked on the right side* of the Crescent or Trunk, people say it will block the views of the Burj Al Arab from either the villas on the Fronds or the Shorline Apartments. But, if it is "parked" on the left side it could block the views of Dubai Marina.

If the boat will be located on the Trunk, I predict that it will be located on the left side. All hotels on the Trunk are on the left, and since the QE2 is a hotel, it has a higher chance of being there. If it does happen to locate on the right side, it will completely obstruct the views from the apartments since the QE2 is the same height as the Shoreline Apartments.

If it will be located on the Crescent, some people say it should not be near the Atlantis since the two would "compete" for attention and would overshadow eachother.

So, in a more concise version: no one knows where the QE2 will be located.

* if you are looking at the island from the mainland; the northeast side of The Palm

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 5:32 AM

Okay, I know It's just because I'm OCD as hell!!! But all the money they spent on this and they can't even make it line up straight! AHHHHHHHHHH

That makes me wanna punch babies!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 4:52 PM
Denver

I can't believe that there hasn't been more outrage over these atrocities.

Think of all the environmental damage these islands have created. The entire eco-system along the coast has been completely disrupted. They've been having problems in dubai with sewage getting tourists sick after swimming in the ocean, in part because of these Islands. Water stagnates, and no longer flows as it should. The environmental consequences will be enormous. The coastline in this area really has been ruined. It's kinda sad actually because dubai did have some nice beaches when I visited...

And for what? Fake Islands that look like palm trees???? Really?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 8:18 AM
Hala Wal'la

Coral reefs and fish life has increased dramatically.

hundreds of kilometers of beaches have been added to Dubai .. and the beaches that were there got alot more sand added to them.

The sewage problem was because the truck drivers got so sick and tried of waiting in line to dispose of the load in the summer heat (Dubai needs to build two or 3 more sewage disposal plants) , they started dumping it into the sea , its not related to the island.

where do you get your facts ?

Yum

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 1:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so wheen the sea rises will dubi become the new venice?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 9:47 PM

Nah; they'll just find away to lift the skyscrapers and make the ground higher...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 10:21 PM

I wonder how good is the sea water inside those palms. Any fish?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 11:31 PM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_UAE View Post
Coral reefs and fish life has increased dramatically.

hundreds of kilometers of beaches have been added to Dubai .. and the beaches that were there got alot more sand added to them.

The sewage problem was because the truck drivers got so sick and tried of waiting in line to dispose of the load in the summer heat (Dubai needs to build two or 3 more sewage disposal plants) , they started dumping it into the sea , its not related to the island.

where do you get your facts ?
surreeee

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:36 AM
Hala Wal'la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
surreeee
How informative sure makes you look like you know a whole lot there pal

Yum

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
so wheen the sea rises will dubi become the new venice?
Actually many of the islands are a good 2-4 meters above the sea level. If you look closely, the beaches are at a decent elevation over water. In fact, Lower Manhattan would go underwater before the Palms ever do.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 2:38 AM

Well they are dredging all that material from the bottom of the sea to build those islands, so coral destruction is a given.

Its hard to get a view of the other side of things from Dubai seeing as the regime there has tight media controls.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
Well they are dredging all that material from the bottom of the sea to build those islands, so coral destruction is a given.
Actually the material was not dredged from the bottom of the Arabian Gulf. It came from a rock quarry in the UAE.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

some of it is dredged some of it is quary no?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 7:23 PM

http://en.allexperts.com/e/p/pa/palm_islands.htm

Two dredging companies are building the islands by extracting sediment from approach channels. Ive heard mention that Palm Deira uses quarried sand from inland, but most of what I hear is that it's mostly dredged and sprayed into position using high pressure hoses.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 4:40 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_UAE View Post
How informative sure makes you look like you know a whole lot there pal
Since you asked for it...

Nakheel, the government-controlled corporation developing these Islands, has been able to focus predominantly on promoting rather than defending the islands. Why? Because the government has strict controls over the media, and negative articles about these islands are generally censored.

The truth is that massive amounts of silt are being stirred up by the construction of these islands, literally choking the marine life within the surrounding areas. Construction activity is damaging the marine habitat, burying coral reefs, oyster beds and subterranean fields of sea grass, threatening local marine species as well as other species dependent on them for food. Oyster beds have been covered in as much as four inches of sediment, while above water, beaches are eroding with the disruption of natural currents.

Even more disturbing is the fact that the Palm Jebel Ali is located in a formally protected marine reserve. The Persian Gulf's second most biodiverse marine system, was taken away from the Dubai Municipality Protected Areas Unit and passed over to Nakheel developers to build the island. Nakheel concedes that its various artificial archipelago projects have indeed buried reefs and changed the environment.

Don't feed me a government sponsored line of bull. These artificial islands have in no way helped the area's ecosystem. It is impossible to argue that these horrendous islands are actually a better substitute than the natural coral reefs that once occupied these locations. End of discussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa