HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:59 PM
perhaps . . .

That's why we stopped using horses: they were beautiful, but there was not enough variety in their looks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:24 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
That's why we stopped using horses: they were beautiful, but there was not enough variety in their looks.
Are you sad about this? Why the long face?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:07 AM
recession proof

I had almost forgotten about the CRX competitor, the Mazda MX-3 until I saw one on Forks of the Credit today: sweet memories of seeing it on the cover of Car and Driver summer 1991 ha.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:01 PM

Truenorth..........All of which you stated is true but that doesn't change the fact that cars today are a study in beige. Going to a dealership in the 60s & 70s was like going into Basking Robbins and having a whole plethora of different tastes to choice from. Today it's like going there and having a choice between vanilla and French Vanilla.

My only hope for cars of the future is that as we quickly wean ourselves off oil into electric & hydrogen vehicles, fuel economy will no longer be an issue. That means that we MAY see a return to the glory years of the car.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:59 PM

This is pretty damning:

Why Canadians drive the worst gas-guzzling cars on the planet, and what to do about it
THE EDITORIAL BOARD
PUBLISHED OCTOBER 8, 2020

...What’s Canada’s bestselling vehicle today? The Ford F-150 truck.

It used to be that cars dominated the market, but about a decade ago, things shifted. In 2019, SUV sales in Canada topped 900,000, with trucks and cars each selling about half a million. The top-10 list is dominated by trucks and SUVs.

This preference for hulking vehicles puts this country at the top of an ignominious list. Canada’s fleet of personal vehicles is the least fuel efficient on the planet. For each kilometre driven, the average passenger vehicle on Canada’s roads uses 13 per cent more gas than the average Australian, 50 per cent more than the average German and 68 per cent more than the average French passenger vehicle.

In Canada, emissions from SUVs and trucks have surged 30 per cent in the past decade, more than offsetting the decline in emissions from cars. That is in part why Canada’s emissions keep climbing...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...he-planet-and/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Truenorth..........All of which you stated is true but that doesn't change the fact that cars today are a study in beige. Going to a dealership in the 60s & 70s was like going into Basking Robbins and having a whole plethora of different tastes to choice from. Today it's like going there and having a choice between vanilla and French Vanilla.

My only hope for cars of the future is that as we quickly wean ourselves off oil into electric & hydrogen vehicles, fuel economy will no longer be an issue. That means that we MAY see a return to the glory years of the car.
This really isn’t true at all. Compare a 1973 AMC matador to a Chevy Nova or Dodge Dart. The average person wouldn’t be able to tell them apart. Cars have always looked samey. Nowadays cars look more bulbous and stout, owing to consumer demand for more interior space and safety standards. But there isn’t any less variety.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:31 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
This is pretty damning:

Why Canadians drive the worst gas-guzzling cars on the planet, and what to do about it
THE EDITORIAL BOARD

It used to be that cars dominated the market, but about a decade ago, things shifted. In 2019, SUV sales in Canada topped 900,000, with trucks and cars each selling about half a million. The top-10 list is dominated by trucks and SUVs.

This preference for hulking vehicles puts this country at the top of an ignominious list. Canada’s fleet of personal vehicles is the least fuel efficient on the planet. For each kilometre driven, the average passenger vehicle on Canada’s roads uses 13 per cent more gas than the average Australian, 50 per cent more than the average German and 68 per cent more than the average French passenger vehicle.

In Canada, emissions from SUVs and trucks have surged 30 per cent in the past decade, more than offsetting the decline in emissions from cars. That is in part why Canada’s emissions keep climbing...

Not shocking in the least sadly enough. I live in an town where I drive a AWD station wagon and almost everyone drives a pickup truck or SUV for vanity... We ended up with this vehicle because that's all the they had in stock at the dealership. Even if you wanted a hybrid they don't have any and actively steer you towards whatever they've pre-bought...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:32 PM

Having said that my next car will be an electric AWD CUV. This Albertan actively hopes for the death of oil after living with its corrupting influences my entire life...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
This is pretty damning:

THE EDITORIAL BOARD

cheap gas, a climate that is cold and snowy and suv's and trucks offering far larger profit margins to vehicle manufactures than that of a car the answer is pretty simple.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
cheap gas, a climate that is cold and snowy and suv's and trucks offering far larger profit margins to vehicle manufactures than that of a car the answer is pretty simple.
Emphasis on the latter. This is why ALL carmakers have dropped sedans in favor of SUV's and trucks... Nothing more than capitalism doing its thing. This is also why Tesla 3 is now the #5 vehicle in the USA. It's practically the ONLY mainstream NEW sedan being offered... And since it gets 125 MPGE I can see why...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Emphasis on the latter. This is why ALL carmakers have dropped sedans in favor of SUV's and trucks... Nothing more than capitalism doing its thing. This is also why Tesla 3 is now the #5 vehicle in the USA. It's practically the ONLY mainstream NEW sedan being offered... And since it gets 125 MPGE I can see why...
i can barely tell the difference of most suv's on the road driving everyday now they all have the same hunchback/jellybean shape with the boring black cheese grader style front grills.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:22 AM
recession proof

I can easily tell different vehicles apart, but then I've been a car fanatic since the late '70s: as a toddler I'd guess the make and model based on headlight or taillight patterns. The 401 between KW and Toronto at 6am is 80% pickup trucks, many of them driven by construction workers. It's ironic that this condo construction boom in urban Canada has increased consumption of everything the planners, builders and creative class professionals have said is evil: large vehicles, oil, diesel, gas, carbon, pollution.

-----
Since I finally bought a car last year I've watched used car prices creep upwards. The pandemic is forcing people into cheap used cars imo. I bought a beater under $3000 late last year and have gotten 35,000 km out of it so far.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Our climate has been cold and snow for years. My grandma was able to wrestle aroud a '62 Chevy Biscayne with rear wheel drive, three on the tree and no power steering. People are just pussies now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
i can barely tell the difference of most suv's on the road driving everyday now they all have the same hunchback/jellybean shape with the boring black cheese grader style front grills.
And every pickup truck has a huge fugly grille and the same truck bed.

Ugly

Ugly

Ugly

Ugly

Is there some kind of law that states you have to have a beard, a pasty complexion, and premature balding (and always wearing fucking Oakley's), to drive one of these monstrosities?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Our climate has been cold and snow for years. My grandma was able to wrestle aroud a '62 Chevy Biscayne with rear wheel drive, three on the tree and no power steering. People are just pussies now.
In the Lower Mainland? Not a feat.

My 1993 GMC Sierra that's non-4x4 is frankly dangerous to drive in my very hilly hometown (think North Van but with winters) and some places are off-limits to it during that season, including at least two of my properties, amusingly.

(The Ford pickup I've been leaving in Florida is 2wd and I haven't ever wished it were 4x4 ever since I got it.)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Much to my chagrin, I have noticed that pickup trucks are making up an ever-increasing share of vehicles on the road.

In my wider circle of friends and acquaintances several have transitioned in recent years from smaller vehicles (Mercedes or Subaru sedans, or small SUVs like the Hyundai Santa Fe) to huge Ford F-150 type pickups.

In none of these cases are these guys construction workers or farmers. They're all suburban or exurban residents, white collar professionals.

Only a small minority of them actually hunt or fish.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:11 PM

I actually really like the new heavy duty Rams

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In the Lower Mainland? Not a feat.

My 1993 GMC Sierra that's non-4x4 is frankly dangerous to drive in my very hilly hometown (think North Van but with winters) and some places are off-limits to it during that season, including at least two of my properties, amusingly.

(The Ford pickup I've been leaving in Florida is 2wd and I haven't ever wished it were 4x4 ever since I got it.)
Nope, a place where "lake effect" snow was a thing.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I actually really like the new heavy duty Rams
There is something about pickup trucks that gives me shivers of the wrong kind.

I have posted before that a few years ago my dealership gave me a pickup truck as a loaner while my car was being serviced for a few days.

I posted on social media to my friends that now was the time to see Acajack driving around in a pickup - it likely won't ever happen again.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
And every pickup truck has a huge fugly grille and the same truck bed.

Ugly

Ugly

Ugly

Ugly

Is there some kind of law that states you have to have a beard, a pasty complexion, and premature balding (and always wearing fucking Oakley's), to drive one of these monstrosities?
I think the point thats being made is that more and more you dont have to have a beard, pasty complexion, and premature balding to drive one of these. They're the best selling cars in the country. Everyone from oil patch workers in Fort Mcmurray to Punjabi soccer moms in Surrey drive them.

Apparently even Acajack's social circle is buying them, and we all know he has token friends from every minority group.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada