HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 11:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

1.25 billion for 412k sq-ft in 432 Park. Which is not cheap by any means.

I believe it used something like 14k psi concrete. On a side note, it had 2 billion in sales, so that tower was a great success. From a design inspired by a trash can, came a great success.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 11:22 PM

Yikes. Looking forward to the inevitable redesign.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 1:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I don't hate it...the facade looks interesting. Honestly though, I just don't get why these designs have to be so rigidly beholden to a basic rectangular profile.

Best evolution with this development is the dropping of that "St. Steven's" name. Dunno where that was supposed to be derived from.
Boxy and rectangular is the nature of city zoning and the grid. But this tower in particular is the work of trying to get a usable footprint over an irregular development site. That's where the cantilever comes in, and I don't think there were a million options with that. Even though they're going through ULURP, they tried to design a tower with as little disruption as possible. I still say we should have gotten a crown or spire out of it, but that doesn't look like it was in the cards. There's an amusement park of sorts at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Design is meh, 1500 and one is a total cop out. Not impressed. But not disappointed.
It would be interesting if Barnett responded to that one foot with a couple of feet of his own added to CPT. He should just go back to that spire anyway.

I'm excited to see this move through ULURP, and peel back the layers of what is being proposed. So far what we've learned from the articles (all subject to change)...

Quote:
https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-e...-citys-tallest

- The highest floors will feature a multilevel observatory. According to several people who have seen Macklowe's proposal, he has envisioned a clear, plastic or glass-enclosed slide that would protrude from the building's exterior, giving riders the vertiginous sensation of soaring high above the city.

- The building's mass-damper—a large, water-filled mechanism to reduce sway in supertall towers—would be on display with an accompanying seismograph that charts the energy of the movement it muffles.

- Macklowe has been telling stakeholders that project would cantilever over the landmarked John Pierce residence on East 51st Street, include an observation deck near the top and feature a public space near the base, though his plans could change as the process moves forward.

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/18/n...raper-nyc.html

- If approved at 1,551 feet tall, his skyscraper, known as Tower Fifth, would rank as the second-tallest building not only in New York, but in the Western Hemisphere.

- Tower Fifth would hover 216 feet above the roofline of One World Trade Center — which would remain the city’s tallest building because a mast brings its official height to 1,776 feet — and reach a scant 12 inches above Central Park Tower, the skyscraper nearing completion on Billionaires’ Row.

- The proposed building will require billions of dollars to build and includes an expensive and energy-efficient facade rarely seen in the United States, a public concourse, plush tenant amenities — a lap pool, yoga room and multilevel running track — and the city’s tallest observatory, where visitors would be able to dive down a transparent, 60-foot corkscrew slide.

- An 85-foot-high glass lobby would stretch from 52nd Street to 51st Street, where the entrance would dramatically frame the side-street doors to St. Patrick’s. Escalators would lead to the lower levels, restaurants, shops and elevators for the observatory.

- A glass-walled public auditorium would sit above the lobby and look onto the top of St. Patrick’s.

- The office tower itself, however, would step back from St. Patrick’s, rising on 52nd Street atop two stems or stilts, near 400 feet above the sidewalks. The 96-story tower is designed as a sleek shaft until it reaches the top, where a two-level slab juts out from the northern and southern sides of the building, before the tower resumes its ascent.

- The proposed building would cantilever about 100 feet over the Look Building and 300 feet above an adjoining landmark, the John Peirce house, which will almost certainly spark criticism from preservationists.

We'll see what kind of feedback Macklowe gets back from planning regarding the overall design. They can request some modifications.

Quote:
In the hope of gaining city approval, Mr. Macklowe and his team — Dan Shannon of Moed de Armas & Shannon Architects and Gensler, a second architecture firm — shoehorned their tower onto the site in an attempt to mitigate its impact on the surroundings. They have also held preliminary meetings with the city’s Planning Department, the Landmarks Preservation Commission and with members of the local community board with the hope of quelling potential opposition.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:09 AM

Wait for the details of the facade of this building to come out before throwing an absolute bitchfit, you will love it once more is revealed.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Wait for the details of the facade of this building to come out before throwing an absolute bitchfit, you will love it once more is revealed.
Right. And lipstick on a pig makes the pig beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 5:02 AM

What a joke of a design.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
It could have the cladding of 111 W 57th Street, and top would still be weird and ugly and the remainder uninspired, derivative, and repetitive. No, I hope we see some REAL design modifications for something going on this great site and that will have such prominence in the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
They probably won't, but that doesn't matter. I'm more interested in the benefits of the building at this point. I would love if they could do more with the top, but if they don't, they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It could have the cladding of 111 W 57th Street, and top would still be weird and ugly and the remainder uninspired, derivative, and repetitive. No, I hope we see some REAL design modifications for something going on this great site and that will have such prominence in the skyline.

As I've said, I don't think it's a great top at all. But there are and were other towers that didn't give us the great top New York deserves as well...

https://teaching911.911tributemuseum...center-symbol/

I can't help but think of Urby in Jersey City when I look at the top of the building. I also see what appear to be multiple parapets at the top. It looks like more public space.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/buil...ity-urby/15908

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

As I've said, I don't think it's a great top at all. But there are and were other towers that didn't give us the great top New York deserves as well...
I think it could look better if they redesigned the observation deck to extend out on all 4 sides and maybe one lower in the building that looks the same or similar that can be used as an amenities deck for employees. Top office buildings are now starting to have "amenities floors" similar to residential amenity decks for employees. Just spitballing, though. Needs some careful thought on how to improve the appearance. I like the Urby building you posted better. I think it helps that they repeated the architectural features lower in the building. It looks a lot more unified and interesting.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:39 PM
BANNED

The JC tower is way better than this.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I think it could look better if they redesigned the observation deck to extend out on all 4 sides and maybe one lower in the building that looks the same or similar that can be used as an amenities deck for employees. Top office buildings are now starting to have "amenities floors" similar to residential amenity decks for employees. Just spitballing, though. Needs some careful thought on how to improve the appearance. I like the Urby building you posted better. I think it helps that they repeated the architectural features lower in the building. It looks a lot more unified and interesting.

We will have to see what City Planning says about the design. They have been known to suggest changes in the past. The design itself may not even be final, there may still be changes at the top. I would say that between this tower and Central Park Tower, or maybe even Chase (least likely), we could have gotten a spire or crown of some sort.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

I've waited this long to comment, and well, I don't think I could say anything that hasn't already been said, so, yeah.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 4:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Beyond however the building tops out, I think more scrutiny will be given to the other design elements that will make the building stand out...

Quote:
- The office tower itself, however, would step back from St. Patrick’s, rising on 52nd Street atop two stems or stilts, near 400 feet above the sidewalks. The 96-story tower is designed as a sleek shaft until it reaches the top, where a two-level slab juts out from the northern and southern sides of the building, before the tower resumes its ascent.

- The proposed building would cantilever about 100 feet over the Look Building and 300 feet above an adjoining landmark, the John Peirce house

Sounds like it will be a tower similar to Citicorp, in that it would appear somewhat to hover in the air...

https://www.archdaily.com/564014/ad-...essurier-photo

The office space would begin somewhere around here...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 8:31 PM

What if the Macklowe tower resembled Chicago Lakeshore Tower project by Bechance studio?

www.behance.net
Macklowe's proposal

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
What if the Macklowe tower resembled Chicago Lakeshore Tower project by Bechance studio?

www.behance.net
Macklowe's proposal
Still lousy. Something of Verre or Steinway caliber should rise here. Also, NY does not need another observation deck, and I can't imagine that tenants paying $175+ per square foot would want to deal with the hoi polloi from Sheboigen when entering their offices. If they did, Morgan Stanley, Skadden, and Ernst & Young would not be leaving Times Square.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 10:54 PM
West End & Riverside

Before they actually went and built 432 Park I would've been sure this design was an inside joke, a placeholder, not serious at all.

Now I'm not so sure.

It does make 432 more palatable, that's for sure.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I think it could look better if they redesigned the observation deck to extend out on all 4 sides
This might help quite a bit, and it's not a very drastic modification to the design so Macklowe and colleagues might actually be willing to consider it. I wish there was a way to suggest this to them.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloper View Post
Before they actually went and built 432 Park I would've been sure this design was an inside joke, a placeholder, not serious at all.

Now I'm not so sure.

It does make 432 more palatable, that's for sure.
I do like 432 Park for its simplicity. It isn't a beautiful building but I do like it for what it is.

This building is otherwise simplistic in its design except for the crown. The crown is oddly shaped is a bad way. Like a glitch in its design. It looks like someone took an otherwise simple looking building and extended a couple floors somewhat and called it a day. The design comes off as being as being rushed and value engineered.

I am really looking forward to see what the base and street interaction will look like.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post

A spire would help, but a well integrated spire. I've been saying all along the skyline needs more spires and peaks. Not everyone agrees. But we are beginning to see why I call for it.
Too many towers of similar height, and we could begin to have a plateau of a flat skyline - even at that great height.

But a future skyline is forming whether we like it or not, and at a relatively rapid pace.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/413205334541916940

Looking forward to seeing more details on this, hopefully before the week is out. There's a lot to unwrap here.

More looks around the area for context...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:31 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is a good 2040 rendering of what the Midtown East Rezoning may look like. Exciting times. Only way is up, up, up!

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals