HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:36 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Here you go, Vvoyage.

Gardner Company wins exclusive right to negotiate for Parcel B

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2015/...-for-parcel-b/

Quote:
Gardner Company intends to decide within six months whether to build a convention center hotel on the so-called Parcel B between Myrtle and Front streets and 11th and 13 streets.

Gardner entered into a memorandum of understanding April 9 with the Greater Boise Auditorium District for the exclusive right to evaluate whether to purchase the 5.02-acre dirt lot that GBAD has owned since 2000.

“We don’t try to drag things out,” said Geoffrey Wardle, Gardner’s vice president of development and general council. “We want to have it wrapped up by Jan. 1.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
I know they have their operating rooms in the basement. Do they plan on extending this into the new wing?
Hmm, good question! St. Luke's more then likely will add onto the basement. But I have no clue if they have any need for additional Operating rooms. It makes sense that they would though. Since the time that they built the main tower back in the 90's Boise's population has increase by a lot. who knows, maybe they'll add a couple new operating rooms specifically for heart and vascular surgeries with technologically updated semi-permanent equipment.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:28 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Hmm, good question! St. Luke's more then likely will add onto the basement. But I have no clue if they have any need for additional Operating rooms. It makes sense that they would though. Since the time that they built the main tower back in the 90's Boise's population has increase by a lot. who knows, maybe they'll add a couple new operating rooms specifically for heart and vascular surgeries with technologically updated semi-permanent equipment.
St Luke's reasoning for wanting to close off Jefferson Street and expand to the north is to be able to have one massive floorplate to expand the ER and surgical suites. They theorize that an ER is more efficient if it and all related departments are on one floor, thus the need to spread out instead of up.

From page 19 of their Master Plan: "New and existing primary hospital functions like surgery, emergency department, and associated support functions connect to create a horizontally integrated care model only if Jefferson Street is closed. This approach is most efficient for healthcare delivery and provides the best opportunity for successful healthcare outcomes."

Okay, so why not build the new tower to the south over the existing parking structure, and close off the rest of Bannock Street to allow expansion of the ER? Here are some arguments as to why they would rather go with the "North Solution" instead of the "South Solution" (from page 18 of their Master Plan) http://www.stlukesonline.org/campusp...erPlan_low.pdf:

• With some exceptions, St. Luke’s does not currently own the property required to accommodate the South Solution.
• Development to the east across Avenue B straddles Zoning Districts H-S and R-3, and a Minor Arterial. Rezoning to allow the new use involves risk and decreases possibility of success.
• Internal connectivity and circulation becomes inefficient and problematic between the medical office building (MOB) and the expansion.
• Bannock Street MOB drop-off and garage access would require closure of Bannock Street to through traffic.
• Additional access points would be necessary on Avenue C, increasing congestion deeper into the East End.• Insufficient floor area for the anticipated building program would cause the height of the proposed expansion to increase.
• Expansion to the south causes redevelopment of the entire front of the existing hospital. Patient and visitor access to front door is problematic.
• Access to the Emergency Department becomes challenging.
• Parking is potentially eliminated at the main hospital entrance. All parking would be located across Avenue B from the main hospital.
• All new traffic volume is concentrated at Warm Springs/Avenue B/Main/Idaho Street intersection, further congesting an already congested area.
• Street level connectivity between new construction and existing presents safety challenges to pedestrians crossing Avenue B.

They've also mentioned that traffic studies have shown that very little "through" traffic uses the section of Jefferson Street in question. So they see no reason not to close it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:39 AM

Is the Gardner parcel the major convention hotel you were alluding to boiseairport?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:20 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack003 View Post
Is the Gardner parcel the major convention hotel you were alluding to boiseairport?
Believe it or not it's actually something different. I don't think Gardner's hotel will be that large--probably similar to something like an Aloft or a Hyatt Place--and it won't take up the full footprint of Parcel B according to the IBR article. Unless Gardner's using that as a cover for a larger development project.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:45 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Parcel B is a huge piece of the downtown puzzle. I've been impressed with all of Gardner's proposals thus far, so hopefully they keep that trend going.

Here is a little more information about developing Parcel B from the Statesman. Apparently Gardner is planning on a 200 room hotel, with the potential for expansion.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...sion.html?rh=1
Interesting--from the IBR article it didn't sound like it was going to be that large, but 200-300 rooms is pretty sizable. This proposal back in 2007 was 250-rooms:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 3:11 AM

Roost is now on the Design Review Docket for May: http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...00152&type=doc

Of interest: images files show a quite a bit more detail than the renderings above (color schemes look quite different), design narrative talks of aiming for LEED for Homes Gold rating.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 3:14 AM

This one provides probably the most detailed rendering yet on Roost: http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...04091715366560

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 6:57 AM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...-downtown.html

I am really impressed with Gardner Company's vision and creativity in fulfilling Boise's needs and going the extra mile in its projects. I'm a fan of both these ideas, but will like to see how others feel about a soccer stadium downtown.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 7:42 AM

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see an MLS team downtown, but having that large of a flat field that close to the downtown's core-it just doesn't feel right to me. An outdoor arena like what's shown in the rendering would look and fit way better near Whitewater Park Blvd. IMO, if a stadium is to be built on Parcel B; it should be an indoor stadium with an opened roof. Maybe I just have to let it sink in. But whatever the Gardner Company decides on, I'm pretty sure it’ll turn out to be a great addition to Boise. Their idea is something new, and I'm glad that they're thinking out of the box and taking a risk. Boise has desperately needed a Developer like this, especially one that will stick around and do projects that will actually help the city in the long run.

Last edited by Hawk; Apr 12, 2015 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 7:44 AM

Regarding Gardner Co.'s ability to generate project development downtown is awesome... and it would be fantastic to see that unbearable lot get developed.. but why has there been no consideration on extending the street grid?! Has no one thought of this? Why not increase street grid connectivity?? Create new downtown grid and extend 12th street? This would allow for the potential of increased density and eliminate the OBESE distasteful concept of the superblock.. Do we really need or want two adjacent superblocks?

I think the soccer stadium proposal is a cheap way to develop the lot.. which is what Boise is good at.. they may as well just add sod and some seats with an underground parking lot, there you go.. Better than a dirt lot? yes, but not by much.. soccer is increasing in popularity in the US but I never would have imagined that something like that get proposed for Parcel B..

I suppose I dream of more density for Boise and higher order projects. The hotel looks somewhat interesting.. at least urban architecture has entered the equation and it doesn't appear to be cheap..

I have to tell myself that it's Boise, and Boise always scales everything down.

I don't think I am a fan of the stadium idea for that particular location.. Boise can do better than this. I would prefer more density or the office complex they proposed next to the hotel.. Not that we don't need a stadium.. I just think this concept would be better suited for the 30th street region.. Like Hawk thinks as well, and spur some much needed attention and attraction to that part of the city..

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 8:35 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Fascinating.

I desperately want to see a Boise pro soccer team. I think the market for it is far larger than most people expect.

That being said I don't see the soccer stadium idea taking off. I like the creative thinking by Ahlquist, and aesthetically have no problem with a stadium that close to downtown, but that particular lot is an awkward fit, even if it technically fits. With the traffic zooming off the connector, it doesn't seem like a great atmosphere to watch a game. Where would fans hang out before/after the game? Where does all the foot traffic go when people are piling out of the stadium? They're kind of locked in on that island created by Front-Myrtle-Connector.

I highly agree that downtown connectivity would be improved if 12th were extended. I'd be disappointed if that doesn't happen, and I'm bummed to see that Ahlquist didn't mention it at all.

It's 3am and I'm tired so I might change my mind, but the hotel-office combination seems the best fit, IMO.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Apr 12, 2015 at 8:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 2:29 PM

To me it maybe looks like the soccer stadium is a Phase I concept, maybe built with stands that can ultimately be repurposed at another location, with the other office buildings and parking structure being a Phase II upgrade.

While on the topic of stadiums, I'm still holding out for a multi-purpose stadium at the Bob Rice Ford parcels. One that's accessible to the greenbelt - and hopefully that's how most people would access the stadium. That could serve as a real nice catalyst for some service-industry development in that area. Hopefully this would be coupled with a rebranding of the Hawks... no offense to any Hawks fans on here, but I find the Hawks to be a bit of a generic mascot (although the there are plenty of hawks in the region). It would be cool if the mascot were something more unique to the region... the Steelheads are probably one of the coolest mascots in all of minor league hockey, for instance.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 3:58 PM

Is it just me, or does that seem like a fairly small hotel for having 300+ rooms?

Granted, it could be a *very* rough visualization of what is to come.

I LOVE the idea of having a soccer stadium in the area, but the rendering makes it looked really cramped in that location. I'd like to echo the posters before me in saying that i'd prefer that parcel to be split into two.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 5:31 PM

If this stadium concept goes through it would probably kill a chance to get a new Hawk's stadium on 30th St, because that was envisioned as a dual purpose soccer/baseball stadium to make it more economically feasible and functional. I definitely have to say that the 30th St proposal seems to be more desirable overall.

And not that thrilled about the hotel/office design either. The hotel front is very suburban with such a large setback, and even includes 20 or so surface parking spaces. Would be better to see some on-street parking along 11th.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 6:01 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisenative View Post
Is it just me, or does that seem like a fairly small hotel for having 300+ rooms?

Granted, it could be a *very* rough visualization of what is to come.

I LOVE the idea of having a soccer stadium in the area, but the rendering makes it looked really cramped in that location. I'd like to echo the posters before me in saying that i'd prefer that parcel to be split into two.
I think that rendering is just a placeholder. The hotel shown is definitely not 300+ rooms. It looks to be 5 stories, which with that footprint would be ~75,000 sq ft total.

To put it in perspective, The Inn at 500 is 107 rooms, and that's about 101,400 sq ft.

If Gardner were to build a 300-room hotel with that floorplan, you're probably looking at an 15-20 story building depending on room size.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 6:20 PM

Great! Thanks for the explanation, BoiseAirport! It would be interesting to see what a 15-20 story building would do to the skyline in that location.

EDIT: I guess you already beat us to the punch, Airport. Although the rendering you have on Boisetopia is likely taller than the 15-20 stories.

*I hope you don't mind me pulling this from your site. If so, I'll pull it down and just post a link.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 7:01 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisenative View Post
*I hope you don't mind me pulling this from your site. If so, I'll pull it down and just post a link.
No worries.

Haha, the hotel in my rendering was huge--about 6-700 rooms similar to the Marriott that Spokane is getting.

Here's a rough guess of what a 300-room version of the Gardner hotel would look like. It would be a really great looking building if they stuck to the architectural style of the rendering in the Statesman article.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 8:59 PM
Closed account

Gardner Hotel

Hotel office buildings and covered parking:

Idaho Statesman Gardner Co. rendering

Hotel Soccer Stadium:

Idaho Statesman Gardner Co. rendering

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...-downtown.html

I read they were planning on adding more rooms later. The office buildings need to be at least 10 floors. I like the idea of the multipurpose baseball soccer stadium near the river.

BoiseAirport

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 13, 2015 at 6:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 9:49 PM

Despite the fact that the location is questionable, I'm happy to see a soccer-specific stadium being proposed instead of a baseball stadium that could also be used for soccer. The latter might be more efficient, but the shape doesn't really match up to soccer and I don't think it looks as nice as soccer specific ones do.

And despite the logistical nightmare that front and myrtle would create, I do think it'd be really cool to have a soccer stadium that close to the urban core.

Maybe a parking structure could be made on the lot directly west of the one in question and a skybridge could connect the two over 13th?

Either way, even if it doesn't work out I'm just super happy that someone is willing to look into bringing a pro-soccer team here. I think it'd be perfect for the area and I've been wanting one for a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West