HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It will be interesting to see what the result is for the design competition for the new art gallery.

Perhaps the results would be better if Develop NS started off these parcels with something similar. Then again, there was a design process for the Ralston site before any developer has been chosen and I find the results pretty uninspired, although it's possible that a developer will improve on them.

If you look at waterfront districts in northern European cities like Rotterdam there are many Cunard-scale buildings that look much nicer. Also many buildings that use higher quality finishes like masonry but in a modern style and they don't look sloppy (uneven, seams visible).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think this is on Develop NS, to the extent it's an issue. I'm sure Southwest wants the public space to be nice too but their prime concern is selling or renting space so they will tend to focus on interiors and private amenities and then curb appeal to some degree...
I agree - but it's still disappointing to me that this feels so lacklustre.

[QUOTE=someone123;9047330... If you look at Curve/Pavilion and Maple they don't really offer exceptional public spaces, and people were happy to have the Annandale passageway...[/QUOTE]
I think the Maple responds to its urban setting pretty well - and I don't think the same level of "exceptional" public space needs to be provided everywhere throughout the city. Same goes for Pavilion/Curve: I think the retail presence at street level is good and the wide sidewalks and planters on South Park provide a nice relationship with the Public Gardens. the Annandale passageway is fine - good for what and where it is - but I don't think it needs to be the same standard as what ought to be at the waterfront.

Arguably, the public spaces at Curve/Pavilion appear nicer than what I think is proposed for the Cunard Block, so who pushed for the level of design on South Park St./Annandale?

Quote:
... I should also mention I don't think the waterfront actually has a shortage of open outdoor spaces. It has a surplus of dead zones and parking lots. If you look around downtown, much of it is fine with a small park or square every few blocks. I think the waterfront should have some space like that but that it should still be basically proportional to the number of nearby residents and businesses or amount of overall traffic. The boardwalk itself already serves as one large pedestrian-friendly space so it provides a good baseline. If the Cunard lot specifically offered 0 public space I don't think that would be a significant problem. There is a big public space right next door in front of the NSP building. How it relates to Lower Water Street and ties it through to the boardwalk is much more important...
I don't think I would have initially shared your opinion that Cunard Block doesn't need to provide any public space at all, but it's something you've made me think more about. I guess I had just assumed we (Haligonians) would want a string of publicly occupiable space along the boardwalk - of varying sizes and uses, and hopefully with some sort of thought given to providing some weather/sun protection and infrastructure for buskers, hot dog stands, and other ephemera that should accompany a well-used public space. I agree with you that the boardwalk itself is a large pedestrian-friendly space, however, my personal opinion is that the harbour is important to the psyche of Halifax (if the IS such a thing) and that we ought to celebrate this and enhance it as much as possible with every single development that happens there. I feel like the boardwalk could be even better if it had a series of small, medium, and large gathering spaces along it with a variety of programmed and unprogrammed uses.

One thing I hadn't considered until I read your response is whether new space here would be overkill. I don't know that I have a good idea whether it WOULD be overkill or just bare minimum (or perhaps somewhere in between).

Quote:
Halifax has the same problem with the Commons where there's an abstract principle of this land being public space which somehow has morphed into it in practical terms being a mix of vague sports fields, hospital buildings, and parkades.
Ugh - I find the commons underwhelming. There really should be a kick-ass design there that reflects some of the current thinking about parks, recreation, and public life. Mont Royale and Central Park showcase/d what was en vogue at the time, and perhaps we could treat the Commons as more than just leftover space in the core and really be strategic about how it's used and by whom.

Thanks for the thought-starters.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:08 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Ugh - I find the commons underwhelming. There really should be a kick-ass design there that reflects some of the current thinking about parks, recreation, and public life. Mont Royale and Central Park showcase/d what was en vogue at the time, and perhaps we could treat the Commons as more than just leftover space in the core and really be strategic about how it's used and by whom.

Thanks for the thought-starters.
I agree that the commons are a bit lacklustre, but the DT Halifax park network is a bit different In the sense that each park fills a particular niche. Central Park has a combination of sports fields, gardens and nature, essentially combining point pleasant, the public gardens and commons into one large park. It therefore makes sense that the commons focuses on sports facilities, otherwise it would intrude on the role of other DT parks. We’ve seen incremental improvements like the oval and paths along north park st., but there are a lot of underused or derelict spaces. What the commons really needs is up-to-date market analysis of what sports facilities are in demand, and a bit of “placemaking” along all pathways, similar to or better than what’s along north park st.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Sep 21, 2020 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Typo: replaced “of” with “or”

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the result is for the design competition for the new art gallery.
Well, here they are:

https://artgalleryofnovascotia.ca/ar...edium=referral

Impressions moved to the Waterfront Arts District thread.

Last edited by Keith P.; Sep 21, 2020 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:14 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ncil-1.5744086

"Regional council approved a motion supporting the 16-storey building if the width of the tower is decreased and changes are made to the design at the ground level along Lower Water Street."

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:14 PM

I watched most of the proceedings. It was long and complicated but I'm happy the appeal was approved by council. I would have preferred they didn't slip in the motion afterwards and forced the developer back to the drawing board but this should at least be an improvement and I think the developer would still be required to come back through the DRC with their new plan.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Why is this one only 16 floors? Arbtirary HRM by Design limit? I wonder if allowing more height would have changed the economics a bit and potentially allowed for underground parking and/or a thinner upper tower portion.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Why is this one only 16 floors? Arbtirary HRM by Design limit? I wonder if allowing more height would have changed the economics a bit and potentially allowed for underground parking and/or a thinner upper tower portion.
I think there is a bylaw in there that talks about how high you are allowed to build relative to the distance from the waters edge and 16 floors would be the maxium for this site because of the way the marina/inlet is situated.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I watched most of the proceedings. It was long and complicated but I'm happy the appeal was approved by council. I would have preferred they didn't slip in the motion afterwards and forced the developer back to the drawing board but this should at least be an improvement and I think the developer would still be required to come back through the DRC with their new plan.
I don't think this is right. I think Council granted site plan approval with two conditions. Remove the terraced portion of the tower that exceeds the max width and fix lower water street. If they do that they can get a permit tomorrow for the building.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 8:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I think there is a bylaw in there that talks about how high you are allowed to build relative to the distance from the waters edge and 16 floors would be the maxium for this site because of the way the marina/inlet is situated.
I think these blanket height restrictions end up hurting the city. But then again it's hard to say how the city would add some limited exceptions for narrow towers without having a huge proliferation of them. In Vancouver there's a notion of focal points in the skyline that have higher height limits on a very small land area.

There should also be exemptions in the viewplane rules for certain decorative elements similar to what existed on the NFB building but could not be rebuilt. It looks unnatural and unappealing to have the exact shape of the viewplanes and ramparts limit carved out of all the buildings.

These aren't huge make-or-break issues and I think the current rules are pretty good overall but these tweaks could bring incremental improvement.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:06 PM

Was out for a walk on the waterfront a few minutes ago. Noticed that the parking lot was closed off and that they were beginning to set up barriers. One of the workers told me construction was going to get underway soon.

I'm not one of those that's against development but I don't know if I like seeing this much build up on the waterfront itself. A handful of buildings will be blocking the views of dozens and dozens of other buildings. Many of the great cities around the world avoid doing this and for good reason.

Oh well, c'est la vie!

J

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Bodine View Post
Was out for a walk on the waterfront a few minutes ago. Noticed that the parking lot was closed off and that they were beginning to set up barriers. One of the workers told me construction was going to get underway soon.

I'm not one of those that's against development but I don't know if I like seeing this much build up on the waterfront itself. A handful of buildings will be blocking the views of dozens and dozens of other buildings. Many of the great cities around the world avoid doing this and for good reason.

Oh well, c'est la vie!

J
I agree, as much as I'm huge proponent of development in our city, there is something to be said about having some open area on the waterfront.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:43 PM

I own a condo in a building near the Cunard site, and we just received the following letter from Southwest:

"Southwest Properties is the developer for the mixed-use residential project to be constructed at 1325 Lower Water Street on the Cunard lot. Construction of the CUNARD development will take place over the next 34 months, with expected completion in late 2023.

Effective Monday, January 18th the public parking lot will be closed to prepare the construction site. Our partners at Develop Nova Scotia have notified monthly parkers of spaces available at the Salter and Foundation Place lots along Lower Water Street, which also provide short-term parking options.

Activity will be visible starting Friday, January 15th as the construction team begin locating equipment and installing fencing around the site perimeter. There will be minimal traffic and noise disruption to surrounding residents and businesses during this site activity.

Early March will see the construction and installation of a pedestrian bridge on the southern end of the boardwalk to ensure continued public access and connectivity along the Halifax waterfront.

Building construction will commence mid-March with the excavation of the site and piling work taking place. Cunard will feature above ground parking, thus deep foundation excavation work will not be required. Cunard’s pile foundation requires above ground installation of posts to support the foundation of the structure. This will take approximately 3 to 4 months to complete before formwork on the building will start.

All sub-contractors will be made aware of HRM guidelines and site activity will adhere to HRM’s approved working hours and noise by-laws.

The dynamic development, in partnership with Develop Nova Scotia, will take shape on the 1.5 acre site at the intersection of Lower Water Street and Morris Street. When complete, CUNARD will feature 238 rental suites and lower level commercial and retail spaces. Develop Nova Scotia will build and manage the approximately 2 acres of improved and new public space and will be re-engaging the community to invite ideas and provide updates. CUNARD will be a high quality project which will contribute to the revitalization of the area and create new public spaces, creating a destination on the Halifax waterfront."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I agree, as much as I'm huge proponent of development in our city, there is something to be said about having some open area on the waterfront.
Isn't this going to result in a net increase of usable public space? The boardwalk will remain but a portion of what's currently used for parking will become public space.

The piling work might not be so great to be around for a while.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Isn't this going to result in a net increase of usable public space? The boardwalk will remain but a portion of what's currently used for parking will become public space.

That's true, its been a while since I looked at the plan. Its just good to have areas on waterfront where you can have events such as Rib fest, Jazz Fest, etc.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Amen to that. I worked in an office very near Bishop's Landing when the piledriving was going on there and some days I thought I was going to go postal...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 11:43 PM

I am very confused. Last I heard council allowed the approval for this development to be appealed. The only way for the developer to move forward was to change the building design to a more slim design or go back to the drawing board.
Am I missing something here?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 11:56 PM

If I remember correctly, Southwest felt they could start footings while they addressed the required changes. Technically that would be their risk, but I’m sure changes above wouldn’t significantly impact the footings. Obviously the above ground parking is a dead issue to them. They likely have months of site work to prep and drive piles. Still less than the year or so it would take for underground.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I am very confused. Last I heard council allowed the approval for this development to be appealed. The only way for the developer to move forward was to change the building design to a more slim design or go back to the drawing board.
Am I missing something here?
IIRC, Council issued Site Plan Approval with conditions. As long as they meet those conditions, the Development Officer can issue a Permit. They don't need to return to Council or DRC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth