HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormFire View Post
Hines Senior Vice President Greg Van Schaack said work will start by yearend, give or take a few weeks. “We’re waiting for permits and things. We’ll be selecting a general contractor next week,” he said.

Per
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...lakecanal.html
Good news for everyone.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 AM

Anything promising out there?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:32 AM

I don't think anything imminent is about to start on the site. I walk by there a lot, and there were a bunch of Christmas Trees in the lot, presumably for sale this past weekend.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:02 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
I don't think anything imminent is about to start on the site. I walk by there a lot, and there were a bunch of Christmas Trees in the lot, presumably for sale this past weekend.
^ They are still in the permit review process, so that is why work hasn't started yet.

I'm guessing they are still a few weeks from getting a permit, so work probably won't start until the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ They are still in the permit review process, so that is why work hasn't started yet.

I'm guessing they are still a few weeks from getting a permit, so work probably won't start until the new year.
Glad to hear it looks like it's going. It's been worth the wait.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:03 PM

Delay at Riverpoint

Alderman Reilly gave a presentation last night to the residents of 165 North Canal, a condo development across the street on the south side from Riverpoint. He stated that there was a dispute between Amtrak and the Army Corps of Engineers over the proposed plaza. Accordingly, he thinks the project will be on hold for some time as the Army Corps of Engineers is objecting to the plan to put a new seawall into the Chicago river which encroaches as much as 17 feet into the river. Attached is a link to the application from Hines.

http://www.lrc.usace.army.mil/Portal...2012-479PN.pdf

As we know, the Army Corps of Engineers does not move very quickly so this could put the development on hold for quite awhile. Jarta, do you have the same concerns on this that you do on Wolf Point?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:25 PM
TL;DR

Thanks.

Interesting... Seems like the 17.5' distance is only because they're smoothing out a sharp corner.

I don't know about the Midwest division of USACE, but we might be in for a long wait if the New Orleans division is any indication. :/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:08 PM
BANNED

I suppose it helps that the mayor is connected in Washington when it comes to expediting stuff at the federal level; Hines also has deep pockets to expedite further studies. But I wonder whether USACE objects because it will threaten navigational safety, or because it doesn't think the engineering is kosher?

Regardless, the delay gives Hines (and the city) a chance to reconsider connecting the riverwalk to the above plaza, which under the current plan is dramatically severed by a steep wall. Such a barrier always discourages use of the riverwalk, leaving it empty and forlorn. The Vietnam Memorial should be used as a benchmark for these sorts of projects because it seamlessly connects pedestrians to the water.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:44 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Towers of Speculation

By MAURA WEBBER SADOVI
January 1, 2013

Quote:
Despite sluggish demand for U.S. office space, a handful of developers are moving forward with plans to build new office towers even before they have lined up tenants—reviving the risky game of speculative development.

The number of such developments is relatively small, but in the past 12 to 18 months, several big developers have said that they are ready to break ground. One of the latest such moves comes from Hines, the global real-estate investor and developer based in Houston, which has teamed up with Canada's Ivanhoe Cambridge to build a 45-story office tower called River Point in Chicago's West Loop. The companies announced their plans in May and say construction will start during the first quarter.....Hines said the building is a top candidate for several anchor tenants including law firm McDermott Will & Emery. McDermott is expected to need at least 250,000 square feet if it moves from its current downtown Chicago location after its lease expires in 2017. The firm said it hasn't yet made a decision.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:15 AM
TL;DR

From the same article (take with grain of salt):

Quote:
Some Chicago real-estate observers noted that the project was expected to start construction before the end of 2012. But Hines said construction is on track and set to begin in the next 30 to 60 days on the base platform that will hold the office tower and that interest from potential tenants has exceeded the company's expectations. "From Hines's plans, we are right on schedule," said C. Kevin Shannahan, senior managing director/chief executive for Hines in the Midwest and Southeast regions of the U.S., in a written statement.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 5:56 PM
Content provider

good news though.

that terminus of the river view is about as important asthetically as wolf point, although wolf point clearly the marquee development in the center of the city right now

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 11:10 PM

I walked passed the site today and they have erected a fence around the whole parking lot. I asked one of the workers if this meant work on the deck was imminent but he didn't really speak much English but I did understand when he said the lot was closed to parking. So I'm guess this is a sign that things will get rolling soon. At least that's what I hope.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
I walked passed the site today and they have erected a fence around the whole parking lot. I asked one of the workers if this meant work on the deck was imminent but he didn't really speak much English but I did understand when he said the lot was closed to parking. So I'm guess this is a sign that things will get rolling soon. At least that's what I hope.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:36 PM
The City

Quote:
^ Are you sure he didn't say "Vete a la mierda"?

If so, then that actually means something different than "things will get rolling soon"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 PM

No, "things will get rolling soon" is what I hope will happen from my own observations. Besides the lot is closing, I have no clue what else he said.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
No, "things will get rolling soon" is what I hope will happen from my own observations. Besides the lot is closing, I have no clue what else he said.
A little bird tweeted me that River Point construction activity starts 1/14 (tomorrow morning). Can't wait to see how materials and equipment will get onto the property to the east of the train tracks.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:49 AM
BANNED

Let's hope your bird is an owl.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:05 AM
TL;DR

Doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. Either they get a compact piledriver that can fit through the Riverbend tunnel, or they re-grade the parking lot and build a temporary grade crossing.

Staging-wise, I'm betting they will start drilling caissons on the parking lot while the interlocking tower is disassembled. Then, with the east side emptied, they can begin driving piles over there.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 2:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarta View Post
A little bird tweeted me that River Point construction activity starts 1/14 (tomorrow morning). Can't wait to see how materials and equipment will get onto the property to the east of the train tracks.
Any action yet??? I'm quite excited about this one.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 2:35 PM

1/14/2013

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive