HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Speaking of natural disasters, the following greeted me tonight on my commute home up to Lookout Mountain. This is Sunset Plaza Drive just above Sunset Boulevard. Cell phone camera is not helpful, but you get the general idea:

could that be a ficus? I think the powers that be are finally listening to you Gaylord Wilshire but next time go a little easy please.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
could that be a ficus? I think the powers that be are finally listening to you Gaylord Wilshire but next time go a little easy please.
Casualty loss tax deduction the hard way!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:39 AM

Just my two cents worth...for what it's worth

As a young man living within walking distance of Dodger Stadium, Sandy Koufax was one of my heroes. Others included the Lakers Jerry West, Dodgers Duke Snider and Rams Jon Arnett. In those days, Gay still meant someone who was happy. In 1953 junior high school one of my best friends was named Gay. (I’ve often wondered if he ever changed his name)
The notion that any professional athlete would be homosexual was the unthinkable. Yes, they did live in the closet for sure. However, that was many years ago and the times have changed. And I’ve changed too. Am I shocked that one of my former heroes might be gay. Holly sh*t, don’t let it be true Duke Wayne! No I am not. At 72 years old, not much surprises me anymore, so I attempt to not get upset at what others think, especially if it has no direct impact on me. Maybe I’ve just grown tired of minding everyone’s business and now accept as true that each is entitled to express their beliefs both here on this forum or in everyday life. Should we condone malicious posts? Certainly not. Should we try to have concern for others? Of course. Should we attack comments that may not be fully thought out, but not intended to hurt? No! The editorial pages of the L. A. Times will provide ample opportunity to write letters expressing our outrage or concurrence with all manner of topics. Fighting social injustice or any kind of injustice is better served there than here.
So if things are said that may be contrary to my beliefs, then it’s best to keep my mouth shut, right? And if that’s what I believe then why have I just written this note? To impose my beliefs? No – rather to help keep the peace in a place that gives me a few minutes of escape time every day. And to ask the Rodney King question – “can’t we all just get along?”

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
As a young man living within walking distance of Dodger Stadium, Sandy Koufax was one of my heroes. Others included the Lakers Jerry West, Dodgers Duke Snider and Rams Jon Arnett. In those days, Gay still meant someone who was happy. In 1953 junior high school one of my best friends was named Gay. (I’ve often wondered if he ever changed his name)
The notion that any professional athlete would be homosexual was the unthinkable. Yes, they did live in the closet for sure. However, that was many years ago and the times have changed. And I’ve changed too. Am I shocked that one of my former heroes might be gay. Holly sh*t, don’t let it be true Duke Wayne! No I am not. At 72 years old, not much surprises me anymore, so I attempt to not get upset at what others think, especially if it has no direct impact on me. Maybe I’ve just grown tired of minding everyone’s business and now accept as true that each is entitled to express their beliefs both here on this forum or in everyday life. Should we condone malicious posts? Certainly not. Should we try to have concern for others? Of course. Should we attack comments that may not be fully thought out, but not intended to hurt? No! The editorial pages of the L. A. Times will provide ample opportunity to write letters expressing our outrage or concurrence with all manner of topics. Fighting social injustice or any kind of injustice is better served there than here.
So if things are said that may be contrary to my beliefs, then it’s best to keep my mouth shut, right? And if that’s what I believe then why have I just written this note? To impose my beliefs? No – rather to help keep the peace in a place that gives me a few minutes of escape time every day. And to ask the Rodney King question – “can’t we all just get along?”
Great post Bob. When I first discovered this site it was like a breath of fresh air that depicted unbiasedly a progressive history of Los Angeles and to a large extent the nature of the emerging "new" metro and urban areas of the country and of course a reflection on the larger than life fantasy world we all saw on the motion picture screen. L.A. and its inhabitants were certainly just as imperfect as the rest of the country and sniping at this or that simply makes no sense and is a reflection of the juvenile nature of far too many people today.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Taken from the exact opposite direction is this small size photo--the man on the sidewalk is standing under the Coffee Dan's sign jutting out over the sidewalk. You can also see the "Dan's" neon sign on the roof area. This photo is from 1960.

Bruce Torrence
Here's a larger version of that 1960 picture:

And here's one from 1966:

Both photos from www.hollywoodphotographs.com/Bruce Torrence
NB. I grayscaled both and adjusted their contrast slightly.

Last edited by HossC; Oct 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:24 PM

Tried to locate a picture of the Albuquerque Coffee Dan's but no luck, just a couple of reminiscences in blogs. It was reportedly across the street from the White Winrock Motor Inn, the latter having been torn down in 2005. "Winrock" was derived from Winthrop Rockefeller.

Area now upscale (I can hear you all saying "Upscale? In Albuquerque?") with an Apple store, Trader Joe's etc.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post

I don't think the photo is mislabeled. The second car appears to be a 1937 or 1938 Pontiac.
ER and Retired in Texas, I say the photo isn't mislabeled. In 1938, the Academy Awards were supposed to be held at the Biltmore on March 3, but because of the bad weather and flooding they were postponed until March 10, 1938.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 6:09 PM

Coffee Dan's sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a larger version of that 1960 picture:

An here's one from 1966:

Both photos from www.hollywoodphotographs.com/Bruce Torrence
NB. I grayscaled both and adjusted their contrast slightly.
HossC, thanks! Interesting! In the 1966 photo it appears that the street level sign has been removed, unless it's just not lit up and I can't make it out, and the neon roof sign has been redesigned--it looks like the design in the Van Nuys location.

As for the Christmas decorations in the 1960 photo, they sure look rather spindly compared to those forest of 15 foot (or was it 16) trees that used to line the street for the holidays.

Producer's Library

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 6:38 PM

This photo was labeled Halloween on Venice Beach, 1937.
Credit: ?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Tried to locate a picture of the Albuquerque Coffee Dan's but no luck, just a couple of reminiscences in blogs. It was reportedly across the street from the White Winrock Motor Inn, the latter having been torn down in 2005. "Winrock" was derived from Winthrop Rockefeller.

Area now upscale (I can hear you all saying "Upscale? In Albuquerque?") with an Apple store, Trader Joe's etc.

Cheers,

Earl
Hi Earl!

Old time noirisher here who is also an Albuquerque native. Coffee Dan's was located in the Winrock Shopping Center next to Diamond Jim's Supper Club that was owned by the same company. They were both in the mall on a mezzanine just above the mall entrance to the White Winrock Hotel. Somewhere I do have a postcard showing the hotel entrance, Diamond Jim's and Coffee Dan's. I'll post it when I find it.

Now about that "upscale" and Albuquerque aside.....

~John Paul

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 12:44 AM

We had a Coffee Dan's in West Covina when I was growing up there in the 1960s. It was at the extreme eastern end of the old West Covina Plaza. Coffee Dan's, like The Huddle further east on the San Bernardino Freeway, was a modern 'Googie' architectural classic. I thought I had a picture of it, but alas, if I did, I cannot find it, nor could I find any online.

In addition to the restaurant, the West Covina Coffee Dan's had a cocktail lounge. I wonder how many other of the chain's locations had a bar in it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
a sandwich shop/Los Angeles vicinity

notice the stairs leading up to the roof. -is this a traveler's lookout? to attract customers.

__
When I was getting my pilot's license, my instructor and I would sometimes have a "$100 Hamburger" for lunch = $5 for the hamburger at a distant airport restaurant and $95 to rent the plane to fly there.

This might have been the location of an ancestral "$1 Hamburger."

I think it's safe to say we are at an airport in a (San Fernando? Antelope?) valley location. The faint sign on the upper left front of the building says "Air Taxi Service" and the viewing stand on the roof would be good for watching planes land. The background suggests we're in a wide flat place suitable for an airstrip, with mountains in the far distance. And finally, the guy on the left looks like he's trying to pantomime something airplane-related. Or maybe he's just practicing the latest dance step. Any comments on the make/model/year of the car from the experts? That would put a lower limit on the date of the photo.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Nov 1, 2013 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:10 AM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
When I was getting my pilot's license, my instructor and I would sometimes have a "$100 Hamburger" for lunch = $5 for the hamburger at a distant airport restaurant and $95 to rent the plane to fly there.

This might have been the location of an ancestral "$1 Hamburger."

I think it's safe to say we are at an airport in a (San Fernando? Antelope?) valley location. The faint sign on the upper left front of the building says "Air Taxi Service" and the viewing stand on the roof would be good for watching planes land. The background suggests we're in a wide flat place suitable for an airstrip, with mountains in the distance. And finally, the guy on the left looks like he's trying to convey something airplane-related. Or maybe he was just practicing the latest dance steps. Any comments on the make/model/year of the car from the experts? That would put a lower limit on the date of the photo.
The car appears to be a 46 to 48 Chevrolet...over...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
The car appears to be a 46 to 48 Chevrolet...over...
Thanks Graybeard for the prompt diagnosis There is a wonderful website (well, wonderful to those interested in aviation archeology) called "Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields." The California section is at: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA.htm

It's probably too much to hope, but I'll look through the LA-area pages and see if the hamburger joint posted by e_r is visible.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Nov 1, 2013 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
There is a wonderful website (well, wonderful to those interested in aviation archeology) called "Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields." The California section is at: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA.htm
I agree, Lorendoc. That site has helped me find a few filming locations.

------------------------

Here's a slightly better view of the Vine Street Coffee Dan's. I found a couple of other shots from a similar angle, but although they were larger, they were also more blurry, so don't really add anything. The last time the Vine Street Coffee Dan's appears in the City Directories is 1956. The 1960 edition just lists a business called Nebb's at 1511.

Alison Martino's "Vintage Los Angeles"/rescarta.lapl.org

I also found a matchbook which lists the Albuquerque location mentioned by Earl Boebert and Fab Fifties Fan.

Ebay

And another for the West Covina location mentioned by JScott. It confirms the existence of the cocktail lounge.

Heather David on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 3:09 PM

[QUOTE=HossC;6323286]I agree, Lorendoc. That site has helped me find a few filming locations.

------------------------

Here's a slightly better view of the Vine Street Coffee Dan's. I found a couple of other shots from a similar angle, but although they were larger, they were also more blurry, so don't really add anything. The last time the Vine Street Coffee Dan's appears in the City Directories is 1956. The 1960 edition just lists a business called Nebb's at 1511.

Not to get off subject about coffee dans(Im a norms fan),but notice in this shot,capitol records has its headquarters here(this was before the tower). I always knew they were in this building but never saw a picture. Now for a family connection, my Dad was signed to Capitol and when his first single was released he called my Grandmother and told her to buy a couple from each record store in the area...she didn't get the idea so she just went to Wallich Music City and bought every single 45 of his....and guess what, not any single from his Capitol years charted.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 3:31 PM

While I was looking for pictures of Coffee Dan's on hollywoodphotographs.com, I came across a pair of photographs of the Rompage Hardware Co. which we discussed a few pages back. The address is 5512 Hollywood Blvd.

1919:

1939:

Both pictures: www.hollywoodphotographs.com

When I searched this thread, I found that BifRayRock had already posted an interior shot of this location:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

1932 - Rompage Hardware Co., - 5512 Hollywood Blvd.

LAPL
Previous posts about Rompage Hardware locations:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17212
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17215
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17218
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17219
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17220

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Friday was garbage day.

Quote:
While I was looking for pictures of Coffee Dan's on hollywoodphotographs.com, I came across a pair of photographs of the Rompage Hardware Co. which we discussed a few pages back. The address is 5512 Hollywood Blvd.
Its a small detail but I noticed one thing. In the orange square I point out those nasty little metal garbage cans that everyone used to set on the curb each week. A truck would come by and dump the contents into their truck box. I remember my mother taught me how to line the little can with old newspaper pages. One page went into the floor of the can and the others were folded and placed around the inside. It was one of my many household chores.

The paper trash was burned in the ubiquitous backyard incinerator. During the summer of 1957, those smoke belching incinerator contraptions were banned in LA.

HIfiles

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:36 PM

2201 Avon St. at Donaldson St. in Echo Park. House is still there but has large rear extension and a wall around the front yard. The houses in the background are still there on Valentine St.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:

Alison Martino's "Vintage Los Angeles"/rescarta.lapl.org
Excellent find HossC! I've never even seen "that much" of this location's exterior before!

How do I find the "city directories" listings? I mentioned that there seems to be a discrepancy if both the Vine and Hollywood Blvd. locations were open at the same time. I wanted to find out when the Hollywood Blvd. listing might have first appeared. The current location where the Hollywood Blvd. Coffee Dan's was is now occupied by a McDonald's. It's a huge space--don't know if C.D.'s covered that whole area. That address is 6776 Hollywood Blvd. but I don't know if it would be the same. The Guinness museum's address next door is 6801 (formerly the Hollywood Theatre) and the B of A on the corner is 6764.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Not to get off subject about coffee dans(Im a norms fan),but notice in this shot,capitol records has its headquarters here(this was before the tower). I always knew they were in this building but never saw a picture. Now for a family connection, my Dad was signed to Capitol and when his first single was released he called my Grandmother and told her to buy a couple from each record store in the area...she didn't get the idea so she just went to Wallich Music City and bought every single 45 of his....and guess what, not any single from his Capitol years charted.
I hadn't seen a shot of the Capitol headquarters, either, unihikid. I also didn't realize how much "Wallich's" had been redesigned, if that's the right word, over the years, either. When Capitol moved into their iconic building up the street, their old studios became Dot Records.

About your Dad you said "Not any single from his Capitol years..." did he have others? Do you mind telling us his name? (Cool if you don't want to!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos