HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 8:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Re: The Renaissance Apt. bldg. fire -- Yesterday, a $170,000 reward was offered to find those responsible for setting the fire. Councilman Tom LaBonge has come out to oppose reconstruction of the location as an apartment building, citing that it's so close to the freeway you can reach out and touch it as you drive by and also citing health concerns because of that. He thinks a much needed parking garage would be better suited to the space, but the builders have vowed to rebuild the site exactly from the original plans.
Article about the fire with photos. Evidently the new apartments nearby are not nice to live in.

http://stephencorwin.com/blog/the-dt...ne-us-a-favor/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 8:56 PM

Lamar Street again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
Hi Folks,

My wife and I have been out of town helping our daughter with her new baby so I am a little bit late in commenting on the two photos shown here.

Ed Workman correctly identified the location in Post25587, but was off a bit on the date, an easy thing to do given the automobiles in the second photo. While this was a railfan excursion, it was not the Railroad Boosters trip of 1938, but rather the Southern California Electric Railway Association trip of June 16th, 1950. Note the light colored 1950 Pontiac convertible parked at the curb opposite the 950. Also, a color photo of Car 950 on that same trip can be seen here under the title 950 on Eagle Rock Boulevard:

http://www.pacificelectric.org/categ...ailway/5-line/

As Ed noted, the trackage on Lamar Street terminated near SP’s Lamar Street Roundhouse and Los Angeles General Shops. This trackage was operated as a shuttle service for SP employees and the dash sign did not carry a number or letter route designation, merely S.P. Shops, as seen on this sign in my collection. Also, not that there is no route designation in the square box on the roof, as this car was not in regular service on this day.The V-Line sign was added by one of the fans. In answer to Lorendoc's questions, 1., these were two sided signs. The reverse usually designated a "turnback" car that would terminate it's run short of the end of the line. The signs would be swapped by the operator at each end of the line when the car reversed its direction, although it was not uncommon for a sign to be carried at each end eliminating the need to swap ends. 2., The photo of 950 on the single track is taken near the end of the Larmar Street trackage. SP Workers would disembark here and walk to the roundhouse and shops.

Perhaps the most unique and noirish thing about the two photos is the 950 herself. She is a one-off car classified as Type E, and was originally one of two LARY funeral cars, Descanso (Peace) and Paraiso (Paradise). These two cars swapped names over time and this is explained on the Orange Empire Railway website.

Prior to wide spread use of the automobile, many street railways offered Funeral Car services to cemeteries along their routes. The Descanso was built by LARY in August 1911 with two compartments, one running crosswise behind a separate motorman's compartment at the front of the car for the deceased's casket and immediately behind a second for the mourners. Luxuriously appointed in a chapel atmosphere with plush seats and stained glass windows, Descanso and Paraiso would often make as many as seven trips a day to the cemeteries along the system. However, This service was terminated in 1921 as automotive hearses came into vogue. In January 1922 LARY converted the Descanso into a PAYE (Pay As You Enter) “passenger” car by replacing the plush seats with wooden ones, removing the casket section and elegant stained glass and repainting the car from it’s original light gray into standard LARY Yellow. However, passengers were quick to recognize it as the old Descanso and refused to ride it!

In June of 1924 it was shopped a second time and given the appearance seen in these two pictures. At that time she was given the number 950 and designation Type E. She thereafter served mostly on the 5-Line until being sold for scrap on April 2, 1951, and taken to Terminal Island in July of that year to “give up the ghost”.

On July 3, 1940 the Paraiso was donated to the Railroad Boosters as Descanso and moved to Summit, California and placed beside the Santa Fe mainline for use as a clubhouse. She remained at Summit until 1967 when she was taken to the Orange Empire Railway museum and restored to her original appearance. See: http://www.oerm.org/collection/yello.../lary-descanso

Cheers,
Jack
Thanks Jack for your informations on Lamar Street : I was puzzled by the trolleys. Why would they go by a dead end street ? And there was no clue that there was a loop at the end (like the Pico & Rimpau of the current posts).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:18 PM

AlvaroLegido, I don't think there was a loop at the end of Lamar.
If I remember correctly, Lorendoc mentioned that the street-car simply reversed course.
__

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Los Angeles High School Football Team, ca. 1908.

ebay

Nice looking group of young men, but my eye kept wandering over to that church in the background.
-Does anyone recognize that church?

__
Well so I was just lurking about and saw that photo and my first thought was, "I wonder if that was taken at Fiesta Park?" Then my curiosity got the better of me . . . .

1906 Sanborn Map @ LAPL

This is the NE corner of 12th and Hope. The text in the lower left corner says the spire is 50 feet; the 1950 Sanborn says the spire is 60 feet.

LAPL says this 1918 photo that includes the church shows buildings on Hope Street, but it actually looks west on 12th Street (you can tell by the mid-block alley):

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00075/00075350.jpg

The church had not yet been built when this 1902 aerial photo was taken: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=19366

But you can see the church in this post: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11441

I also checked HistoricAerials.com . . . the church is in the 1952 photo but absent from the 1964 photo.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:22 PM

Excellent discovery Flyingwedge! -Thanks for identifying the 'mystery' church.
Fiesta Park hadn't crossed my mind as a venue for high school football games....especially in 1908.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 23, 2015 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:24 PM

Wig-Wag,

Congrats on the new grandchild!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:59 PM

Yes, congratulations Jack (Wig-Wag). I'm happy for you.
__

I don't believe we've seen this apartment building on NLA. (I searched)

The Sherman Apartments
314 S. Alexandria Avenue
Los Angeles

found earlier this evening on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item566fb13173

"A Mrs. Bremer lived here from Oct. 1933 to June 1938." (see below)

The Sherman today. The four pointed ornamental elements on the roof have been chopped off. (probably to avoid one of them landing on someone's head during an earthquake)

GSV

It still has it's original canopy over the entrance. (but now, it also has an awful security door resembling a cage )

detail GSV

The view from 3rd Street.

GSV

-fading sign on the side of the building.

I'm still trying to decipher what it said under Sherman Apartments.
__

There is also a bit of modern noir / a murder in 2007.

http://homicide.latimes.com/post/christopher-thomas/

It's hard telling what else has happened in it's long history.
(GaylordWilshire was our pro in finding noirish newspaper articles.)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:17 AM

Los Angeles MTA # 3148, PCC Narrow Gauge Streetcar, Last Day, March 30, 1963." -no location given.

negative found this evening on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item51c9348810

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 23, 2015 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:27 AM

re: dust to dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
Prior to wide spread use of the automobile, many street railways offered Funeral Car services to cemeteries along their routes. The Descanso was built by LARY in August 1911 with two compartments, one running crosswise behind a separate motorman's compartment at the front of the car for the deceased's casket and immediately behind a second for the mourners. Luxuriously appointed in a chapel atmosphere with plush seats and stained glass windows, Descanso and Paraiso would often make as many as seven trips a day to the cemeteries along the system. However, This service was terminated in 1921 as automotive hearses came into vogue. In January 1922 LARY converted the Descanso into a PAYE (Pay As You Enter) “passenger” car by replacing the plush seats with wooden ones, removing the casket section and elegant stained glass and repainting the car from it’s original light gray into standard LARY Yellow. However, passengers were quick to recognize it as the old Descanso and refused to ride it!
Fascinating Wig-Wag! I have never heard of funeral streetcars before.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 23, 2015 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:02 AM

Quote:
I lived in L.A. for 8 years and still hold it in high esteem.
I recently spent several months going through some 50,000+ photos from the USC Digital Archives* and the Los Angeles Public Library.

Many of the photographs have a romantic quality to them.
I always felt this was a 'noir' city, especially in the winter when the warm Santa Ana winds swept through the basin.

I lived on Hancock between Santa Monica Blvd. and Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood.
Amazingly, the small bungalow where I lived is still there.

Enough said:
Here are the photographs of Los Angeles.
I will continue posting them over the next several months.

Please feel free to ADD any old L.A. photos you might have.
________

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...M-N-9413-001~1

above: This is one of my favorites! The rotating beacon is visible atop City Hall,
and a portion of Bunker Hill can be seen on the lower left. The year is 1951.

[
As of now after 25,670 posts and 7,318,064 views....
What makes Los Angeles so special?
Why not San Francisco or Chicago or N.Y.C. or even New Orleans?
There's nothing that can touch this at skyscraperpage or anywhere else that I know of.
I have my own reasons as I was obsessively interested in L.A. history regarding the early pueblo days before I stumbled into here. It stimulates me the think of the change that pioneers and historians such as Harris Newmark and Maj. Horace Bell who arrived in L.A. in the early 1850's when still mostly a "rough and ready" western adobe pueblo and witnessed it's change into a major metropolis near to the 1920s, much of which we enjoy here now.
Other cities have their own history - their own photo-documented norish history.

One thing I'll say is that the level of interest, quality, dedication and the attention to both detail and historical changes/continuity by NLA contributors is just astounding.

Why us? Why Los Angeles? Why NLA?

"Because E_R's curiosity is infectious."... and he doesn't even live here anymore.

Last edited by fhammon; Jan 23, 2015 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:10 AM
BANNED

WP

The Descanso (originally known as the Paraiso) was part of the Los Angeles Railway, or Yellow Line, which at its peak comprised 20 streetcar lines with 1,250 trolleys. Built in 1909 and available for chartered use by funeral parties at a cost of about $25, the Descanso was one of two funeral cars, designed with a compartment that opened to reveal a special folding casket carrier. The family sat with the coffin in an interior with touches including stained-glass windows. It was all very dignified, designed to accommodate people who wanted to avoid a bumpy ride over unpaved roads in a horse-drawn cart on their way to the lay a loved one to rest.

Its now at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Los Angeles MTA # 3148, PCC Narrow Gauge Streetcar, Last Day, March 30, 1963." -no location given.

negative found this evening on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item51c9348810

__
This is Vernon. The "Kaiser Refractories and Chemicals Div" was at 4555 Pacific Boulevard in CDs from the 60s. The red numbers on the side of the building in the GSV (bisected by the telephone pole) are "4555"

GSV

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:26 AM

Noirish hotel in Hollywood. Anyone know about this building?

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...social_fbshare

For nearly a century, the Villa Carlotta has been a way station on the way to making it, or not. Now that the luxury developer have come, a longtime resident bids it farewell.
5959 Franklin Ave, Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:50 AM

Cutts Building at 706 South Hill Street

I came across this great street scene from 1942. Behind them is the Cutts Building. Google came up with a couple of different addresses but the consensus seems to be 706 South Hill Street.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
As of now after 25,670 posts and 7,318,064 views....
What makes Los Angeles so special?
Why not San Francisco or Chicago or N.Y.C. or even New Orleans?
My $.02:

I think it's because those and similar cities have been justifiably regarded as historically and architecturally interesting for so long that they've been done a thousandfold, already. They've long boasted a wealth of buildings and neighborhoods which have been allowed to remain largely unchanged, although as in all cities individual houses and buildings do occasionally get replaced.

By contrast, throughout the mid 20th century, say from 1930 to 1980, so much of our historic architecture and so many neighborhoods were wiped off the map to make way for freeways, urban renewal projects, and the odd massive infrastructure project (i.e., Union Station). Even where such projects weren't implemented, the economics and geography of the city made the destruction of dozens of Victorian and even Georgian structures virtually inevitable--often to be replaced not by new and possibly better buildings, but by parking lots. In perhaps no other time and place on Earth were conditions so favorable to suburbanization, especially as in those days "suburb" could mean Culver City, North Hollywood, or even Santa Monica, instead of West Valley, SCV, or the Inland Empire.

As if that weren't enough, the miserable smog of the postwar era was a metaphorical black eye which probably impacted not only how outsiders and potential artists and photographers perceived the city, but also the attitude of locals about whether any of its physical history was worth preserving. Tourists might have come here for the attractions in the region, but they definitely weren't coming for the scenery.

What's changed now is that we have survived the era of urban renewal and freeway construction, and suburbanization has pretty much run its course. What older buildings we still have are more likely to be allowed to remain, and as time goes on more and more buildings achieve a semblance of historical value just by their age. How old is "old"? Granted, the bar is pretty low here, but just from this thread the abundance of 80 to 100 year old buildings is impressive. I couldn't have made that claim in the mid 1970s, when I first became interested. A 100-year old building then would have been built well back into the 19th Century, but most of those structures were gone.

And we have digital cameras, and the internet, and so on...

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Jan 25, 2015 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:13 PM

Thanks to Ed Workman for identifying the San Pedro Street location of the Red Car picture I posted, and to Lorendoc for giving me the name of the bicycle company in the background.

--------------

When I found this picture of the Baine Studio Apartments on Hollywood Boulevard last night, I didn't remember them appearing on NLA. A quick search showed me that e_r had in fact posted a "then and now" comparison way back in post #320.

USC Digital Library

The "then" picture posted by e_r dates from the 1930s, and shows the building with a Bank of America sign on the roof. The picture above is dated 1927 (the building was completed in either 1926 or 1927 depending on which source you believe), and shows it as the Hollywood and Whitley branch of the Merchants National Trust and Savings Bank. The advert below the picture is a page header from the 1929 CD.

Detail of picture above/LAPL

An article on southlandarchitecture.com says this of the "little room" that e_r expressed an interest in:

"The building's penthouse was the private domain of Colonel Harry Baine, for whom the building was first named. He was an entrepreneur who served a year as Los Angeles County supervisor. It was he who commissioned the building and gained fame for bragging that he was the first person on Hollywood Boulevard to live in a penthouse."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:52 PM

alanlutz, here's my post on the Villa Carlotta from many years ago. She's quite the survivor!

Quote:
A postcard of the slightly sinister looking Villa Carlotta Apartments at 5959 Franklin Ave.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=73948

The Villa Carlotta in 1926. (showing a little more of the side facing Tamarind Ave.)

ebay

The Villa Carlotta in the 1940s

lapl

The Villa Carlotta entrance. (the entrance is hidden behind overgrown trees and shrubs today)

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=73949

The Villa Carlotta today looking north on Tamarind Ave.

google street views

The Villa Carlotta on the right; looking south on Tamarind.

google street view

Great old door of the Villa Carlotta.

Steve Silberman

Mail boxes in the lobby of the Villa Carlotta.

Steve Silberman

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 23, 2015 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:51 PM

After a quick search, I don't believe this we've seen this 1925 photograph of Aliso and San Pedro streets.
(there are two gas-o-meters at extreme right)

flickr / metro library

also note the four extra long R.R. gates.
Per the 1926 L.A. street directory, Mitchell & Mitchell was located at 235 Aliso street.
__

question:
I was going to include a Sanborn map of this area, ...but LAPL only has 2 pages of the hundreds of pages.
Do I have to have a library card to access the complete Sanborn maps or am I simply looking in the wrong place?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 23, 2015 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:09 PM

-mystery location.

P.E. car #103.

found recently on ebay

-we always think of the 'good-ol-days', but look at all that litter at lower left.
__

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:11 PM

Quote:
-mystery location.

P.E. car #103.

found recently on ebay

-we always think of the 'good-ol-days', but look at all that litter at lower left.
__
A site called "Viewliner Ltd" has the same view with the location as Echo Park Avenue with a date in the 1940's. A little "googlemobiling" finds the house in the background at 1957 Echo Park Avenue, still there today. The date palm is gone and the property next door appears to be a "Headstart" preschool. The market building is still there but has been remodeled.

There is also a picture at PacificElectric.org which shows the same car in the open car layover area (under the bus deck) at the Subterminal building

Last edited by oldstuff; Jan 23, 2015 at 8:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos