HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Looks like our potential 1000 footer is out?
I sure hope not

I suppose the only way to truly find out would be to wait until it is announced.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Based on the camera angle, distance from the camera, and height relative to FMC, the tallest tower appears to be at least 850 ft, if not much taller.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:23 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Based on the camera angle, distance from the camera, and height relative to FMC, the tallest tower appears to be at least 850 ft, if not much taller.
Yea, compared to its 570' neighbor it could be 8-950' or so.

I always thought the potential 1000 footer was just a placeholder and not a guaranteed. This will still be pretty awesome though.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:26 PM

^Never guaranteed, but I can dream. I appreciate the height estimates. I was guessing it might be around the height of FMC, which is only a letdown when one's expectations are high.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

I wouldn't put much thought into translucent placeholders like that. This reveal only goes to show that all of the other towers are still being designed.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:48 PM

I’m willing to bet that if the demand is there, they’ll build it over 1000 ft. Obviously that’s just a hunch but I feel as if though we definitely don’t know anything concrete either way.

I should mention that they’ve started gutting the building currently on the site of the potential supertall.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I feel like whatever stimulus that is needed to get more projects, including the supertall, needs to happen before the next recession cycle starts. Once a recession starts, all bets off on new construction projects...including any potential supertall in SY due to banks or other funding sources drying up. If we don't see something get started in the next 2 years, it probably won't happen until 2025 or later.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:07 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Brandywine's new construction at Schuylkill Yards expected next year

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Brandywine's new construction at Schuylkill Yards expected next year

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline
Here's the text:

Quote:
Brandywine Realty Trust has enlisted a new architectural firm to design what will be the first two, new buildings it plans to develop as part of its proposed $3.5 billion Schuylkill Yards neighborhood in University City and expects to break ground on both of them next year.

That the developer anticipates moving forward with the two buildings in 2020 signals that it likely has struck or is nearing deals for office tenants to take significant portions of the office space in the buildings. There has been a chase in Philadelphia among developers, chief among them Brandywine and Parkway Corp., to land several big tenants, including Morgan Lewis and Chubb, that are in the market and have the potential to kick off new office construction.

While there are a lot of factors such as location and deal terms, design is another way developers compete. To that end, Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) has tapped New York-based Practice for Architecture and Urbanism, or PAU, to reimagine the design of two buildings at Schuylkill Yards: East Tower, which will rise at 3001 John F. Kennedy Blvd.; and the West Tower, which will stand at 3025 John F. Kennedy Blvd.

These would be the first two ground-up projects for Schuylkill Yards. Drexel University is a partner with Brandywine on the development.

Schuylkill Yards is starting to take shape. In June, Brandywine completed Drexel Square, a $14.3 million, 1.3-acre park that serves as the cornerstone of the 6.9-million-square-foot mixed-use community under development on 14 acres. Brandywine is in the middle of a $43.3 million redevelopment of the former Bulletin building. Spark Therapeutics Inc. will occupy office and lab space in that structure that is scheduled to be completed early next year.

The East Tower will stand 512 feet and have 34 floors of office space and 7,000 square feet of retail. The West Tower was designed to compliment the East Tower. It will be a 360-foot tall building that will total 419,000 square feet that will be split between office and apartment space. It will also have 9,000 square feet of retail space and covered parking.

“Designed as cousins, the East and West towers share similar personalities, with distinct differences. The design artfully merges inspiration from historic building materials with modern architecture to showcase two complementary towers that will define Schuylkill Yards— a community designed for connecting people, ideas, and businesses,” Brandywine said in a statement.

Brandywine has also hired SWA/Balsey, a New York landscape and architectural firm, to design what it is calling the Highline Park, a 1-acre public park that will have dining, art installations, a water feature and events. Stone pavers, wood, concrete, natural stone and Corten steel are materials that will be used in the construction of the park and will tie it to the two towers.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:26 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Here's the text:
Thanks...the Highline Park caught my attention from the article. Didn't know about that. I think all these features for SY will make it super desirable for firms to want to take up space here.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Thanks...the Highline Park caught my attention from the article. Didn't know about that. I think all these features for SY will make it super desirable for firms to want to take up space here.
Yes, people are worrying too much about so-called "dead space". I think Brandywine understands the need to activate this area, hence "a 1-acre public park that will have dining, art installations, a water feature and events", plus the street-level retail planned for the buildings.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:12 PM
Midrise

Human remains discovered at Schuylkill Yards, but developer has a plan | Inquirer.com
Excerpt:
Following a meeting in May with archaeologists, preservationists, representatives from the state and city, and the Religious Society of Friends, Brandywine put together a plan that includes archaeological monitoring of the site and procedures for handling remains should any be discovered.

[Douglas] Mooney, the PAF president, said Friday that Brandywine’s "candor and transparency in sharing information about recent discoveries” should be lauded.

“We believe that this project represents an example of how archaeologists and developers can successfully work together to help protect the city’s many unmarked historic burial grounds and to respectfully recover and relocate the remains," he said.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 6:07 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Human remains discovered at Schuylkill Yards, but developer has a plan | Inquirer.com
Excerpt:
Following a meeting in May with archaeologists, preservationists, representatives from the state and city, and the Religious Society of Friends, Brandywine put together a plan that includes archaeological monitoring of the site and procedures for handling remains should any be discovered.

[Douglas] Mooney, the PAF president, said Friday that Brandywine’s "candor and transparency in sharing information about recent discoveries” should be lauded.

“We believe that this project represents an example of how archaeologists and developers can successfully work together to help protect the city’s many unmarked historic burial grounds and to respectfully recover and relocate the remains," he said.
There used to be a Quaker graveyard there? That's the only reason I can think of that the Religious Society of Friends (i.e. the Quakers) are involved.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 8:05 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
There used to be a Quaker graveyard there? That's the only reason I can think of that the Religious Society of Friends (i.e. the Quakers) are involved.
Yep, also in the article:
Two of the city’s oldest and largest burial grounds were once located around the 30th Street Station area. The Upper Burial Ground and the Lower Burial Ground (also known as the Blockley Burial Ground) were both begun by the Quakers in the 17th century. But the Quakers ceased use of the grounds after a few decades and the site became much-used paupers’ cemeteries, completely unregulated.

Here's a much more detailed article by Stephan Salisbury from earlier this year:

Schuylkill Yards development may rest on the Quaker dead | Inquirer.com

Last edited by Jayfar; Aug 24, 2019 at 9:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:51 PM

did they split the supertall?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
did they split the supertall?
Nope. The proposed buildings are consistent with the original plans (in use//massing). The supertall building would be 3101 Market East on the above plan, while the proposed buildings are on 3001 and 3025 JFK.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 5:55 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Nope. The proposed buildings are consistent with the original plans (in use//massing). The supertall building would be 3101 Market East on the above plan, while the proposed buildings are on 3001 and 3025 JFK.
Let me guess, if it ever happens it'll be another 10-15 years. The small towers will be the first to be built here.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Let me guess, if it ever happens it'll be another 10-15 years. The small towers will be the first to be built here.
Well, yes, that was always the plan. They’re focusing on the lots closest to the station first, and the public spaces that will define the area. That will make the towers more valuable down the line and make the supertall a real possibility. Still, there’s no guarantee a supertall will happen at all. It'll depend on market conditions.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I was under the assumption that 3000 Market and 3020 Market would be the last two towers built. I'm pretty sure Brandywine mentioned something at one point about their intended order for development.

I believe it's going in this order:

Drexel Square
Bulletin Building
3001 JFK Blvd
3025 JFK Blvd
3051 JFK Blvd East
3051 JFK Blvd West
3101 Market East - possible Supertall. Anywhere from 800 to 1,100 feet tall I believe
3101 Market West
3001 Chestnut Part 1
3001 Chestnut Part 2
3000 Market
3020 Market

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I was under the assumption that 3000 Market and 3020 Market would be the last two towers built. I'm pretty sure Brandywine mentioned something at one point about their intended order for development.

I believe it's going in this order:

Drexel Square
Bulletin Building
3001 JFK Blvd
3025 JFK Blvd
3051 JFK Blvd East
3051 JFK Blvd West
3101 Market East - possible Supertall. Anywhere from 800 to 1,100 feet tall I believe
3101 Market West
3001 Chestnut Part 1
3001 Chestnut Part 2
3000 Market
3020 Market
I can second that this is the correct order.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals