HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
This crossing, whether in the form of a bridge or tunnel, would be a modern day tearing down of the Berlin Wall and bring peace between the world's two superpowers, America and Russia.
Russia is a world "superpower"? Is this 1973? Its economy is smaller than Italy's.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:56 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Part of the link necessary to support a crossing..

Governor asks Trump for permit needed to connect Alaska railroad to Canada, Lower 48

Author: Alex DeMarban
Published March 31

Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy is asking President Donald Trump to grant a presidential permit to extend the Alaska Railroad into Canada, supporting a Canadian company seeking to blaze a new path for Asian-bound products.

Linking the Alaska and North American rail systems, an idea more than a century old, would cut at least two days travel time for Canadian and Lower 48 cargo headed to the Far East because of shorter sea routes, supporters say.

“To me it was a no-brainer,” said Sean McCoshen, chief executive of Alberta to Alaska Railway Development Corp., speaking to the Senate Transportation Committee late last month.

“A2A will make Alaska’s ports the closest to Asia in North America,” Mead Treadwell, a former Alaska lieutenant governor and consultant to the Canadian company, told a reporter on Thursday.

The company plans to raise money for the $17 billion project. It does not intend to seek state funds, Treadwell said.

A2A would build 1,700 miles of rail to Alberta’s tar-sands oil fields, with 200 miles of that in Alaska, reaching the rail system at North Pole.

https://www.adn.com/business-economy...nada-lower-48/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 9:52 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Is that really easier than just shipping to Prince Rupert?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 9:05 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I fully support this project even if the immediate economic benefits aren't as practical in the near term. This would open up the whole Northwest region to development and benefit my hometown of Edmonton which is the largest and most Northern of any "major" city in the Americas, sorry Anchorage.

I also think a Bering Strait Tunnel could be a great showpiece for The Boring Company and its new TBM technology if it could be used!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering