HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I don't think Chinatown has a future. Chinese newcomers are 90% settling in the south of the city, and while families will drive into Chinatown from time to time for a dinner or event, all new Chinese community services, businesses, community orgs, etc. will doubtless locate themselves in the south.
It's to the point where I wonder if Chinese newcomers even know that old Chinatown exists. If you're a U of M student living near campus and whose social life revolves around the places on Pembina Highway, what do you need that little clump on King Street for? There are probably more things of interest to someone like that on any random block of South Pembina than there are in all of Chinatown.

At some point a new Chinese cultural centre will be built in Fort Richmond and that will basically spell the end of Chinatown.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:25 PM

I don’t think any of North America’s historic Chinatowns are the dominant landing place for Chinese immigrants anymore, and probably haven’t been since the 1950s. Just like Italians coming to Toronto most likely don’t move to Little Italy. But some of these historic Chinatowns continue to have a great cultural or familial significance to the region’s Chinese people.

The issue with Winnipeg’s Chinatown is that there does not seem to be any group taking the lead on even talking about the future of the neighbourhood. The Chinatown Development Corp. has been around for almost 50 years and has sometimes been very long on vision (they hired Gustavo Da Rosa to develop an urban renewal scheme in the early ‘70s) but mostly short on money to execute their vision. I don’t know where they’re at now – I think the last thing they did was demolish the Shanghai Restaurant, which was arguably the most important Chinatown landmark of them all. I worry they are unwilling to let go of the Chinatown ‘brand’ while continuing to the see the physical fabric of the neighbourhood gradually disappear. Decades of property owners waiting for the Second Coming of the Core Area Initiative has eaten away at the small scale buildings, the texture, the colour, and the interest that makes historic Chinatowns successful. Currently it’s more or less a wasteland that only really sees crowds on Sundays when the suburbs come for dim sum.

Meanwhile, I would imagine neither the City, the BIZ, the Market Lands team, or anyone else would ever do anything but defer to the Chinatown Development Corp. and whatever’s left of the Chinatown business community. They wouldn’t want to look like they’re erasing the cultural history of the neighbourhood by moving away from the Chinatown image.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:35 PM

^ One of the big the problems is that Chinatown lacks critical mass, and it isn't very visible. As such I think there's less importance attached to making it a presentable place. No heavy hitters in the Chinese community are going to donate a million dollars to a project in an area that's surrounded by vacant lots and run down buildings.

By contrast, Edmonton has a fairly small Chinatown too as far as Chinatowns go, but it does at least dominate a couple of city blocks on 97th with shops and restaurants and as such I think it's taken care of a bit more. Not surprisingly, it manages to draw activity and development. It may not be the hub of the Chinese community anymore there either, but it's still to some extent the face of the community in that city, and as such it is still a bit of a priority.

I guess what it boils down to is that Chinatown feels more like a vestigial part of ye olden days that's slowly fading away than a living, breathing, dynamic part of Winnipeg's ethnocultural makeup.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:38 PM

Yes, they tore down a 128 year old heritage building to put up an empty lot.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:38 PM

Yeah, losing the Shanghai and Marigold closing across the street certainly hasn't helped.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:00 PM

http://www.centreventure.com/market-...gn-competition
Quote:
DESIGN COMPETITION SHORTLIST

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​CentreVenture Development Corporation is pleased to announce the shortlist for the Market Lands - Southern Parcel - Design Competition. From 23 exceptional submissions to the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) Stage, the Competition Jury has selected the following 5 teams to compete in the Request for Proposal (RFP) Stage. ​​
  • DAOUST LESTAGE
https://daoustlestage.com/en/
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Daoust Lestage is a multi-disciplinary firm based in Montreal, providing services in architecture, urban design, landscape, interior, graphic and industrial design. In 2012 they recieved the RAIC Governor General's Medal in Architecture for Quartier des Spactacles, a network of open-air theatres that surround Place des Arts in the heart of Montreal. They have partnered with Transolar (Sustainability Consultant) and Rina Greer (Public Art Consultant).
  • DIALOG
http://www.dialogdesign.ca/
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Dialog is multi-disciplinary firm of architects, urban planners, interior designers, structural, mechanical and electrical engineers, and landscape architects. They have studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto. Principal, Joost Bakker, is nicknamed the "Market Man" having designed numerous public markets across Canada, including Granville Island in Vancouver. They team with Jenifer Papararo (Public Art Consultant) who is also the Executive Director of Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art in Winnipeg.
  • DTAH
https://dtah.com/
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Dtah is an integrated architecture, landscape architecture, urban design and interiors firm, based in Toronto. They have repeated success in designing community hub projects that employ food, art, and the environment as cultural catalysts including award winning projects such as Evergreen Brick Works and Artscape Wychwood Barns. They have teamed with with Purpose Building (Sustainability Consultant) and Entro (Public Art Consultant).
  • 1x1 Architecture Inc. & dRMM & LDA Design
https://www.1x1architecture.ca/
http://drmm.co.uk/
http://www.lda-design.co.uk/
1​​x1 Architecture Inc. is a Winnipeg-based architectural firm, recognized in 2017 by Canadian Architect Magazine as an 'emerging talent'. They have teamed with dRMM (Architecture) and LDA Design (Landscape Architecture) from London, England. In 2017, dRMM's Hasting Pier project was awarded the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Stirling Prize, given annually to the best building in the United Kingdom. They are joined by Atelier Ten (Sustainability Consultant) and Lisa Kehler Art + Projects (Public Art Consultant) of Winnipeg.
  • Saucier+Perrotte Architectes & Gustafson Guthrie Nichol (GGN)
http://saucierperrotte.com/en
https://www.ggnltd.com/
Founded in 1988, Saucier+Perrotte is based in Montreal. The recipient of eight RAIC Governor General's Medals, S+P is is the architect for River City, a 1000 unit LEED Gold housing project in Toronto’s West Don Lands. Gustafson Guthrie Nichol (GGN) is a landscape architecture firm based in Seattle, with notable work such as the Museum of African American History, the Lurie Garden at Millenium Park, and the Bill and Melinda Foundation Campus. They team with RWDI (Sustainability Consultant) and Ciara McKeown (Public Art Consultant).

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Oct 3, 2018 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:19 PM

^ Well, that's encouraging...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yes nice to see some progress on this, even if it's the very early stages. I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the design ideas are.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:31 PM
There is always a way

Public market! Public market!

Too bad we don't have any major fisheries nearby. That would be amazing
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:38 PM

Really? Have you considered Lake Winnipeg?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Really? Have you considered Lake Winnipeg?
Pickerel only goes so far

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Some very prestigious firms have been shortlisted, very good news indeed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Pickerel only goes so far
Ummm, Lake Winnipeg is home to Canada's largest commercial freshwater fisheries industry. And, also, there are more freshwater species available than just Pickerel.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:29 AM

Pickerel followed by lake whitefish. Goldeye is a popular smoked fish. A lot of rough fish have a bad reputation. Burbot ( other wise known as freshwater cod) can be very tasty if it is prepared properly. It is called poor man’s lobster because of the similarity in flavour to lobster. There also is perch and northern pike. Smoked carp is popular in England. I just wish that the fishing industry here can be promoted more. It would be nice to have a Manitoba chef create something great with Manitoba fish or at least explore freshwater fish.Have like a few popular local “seafood” restaurants in Winnipeg or some of the lakeside resort towns one day. Oh and a fish market would be great also. We should be the new maritime province.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardsh...sh_profile.pdf

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:49 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Pickerel followed by lake whitefish. Goldeye is a popular smoked fish. A lot of rough fish have a bad reputation. Burbot ( other wise known as freshwater cod) can be very tasty if it is prepared properly. It is called poor man’s lobster because of the similarity in flavour to lobster. There also is perch and northern pike. Smoked carp is popular in England. I just wish that the fishing industry here can be promoted more. It would be nice to have a Manitoba chef create something great with Manitoba fish or at least explore freshwater fish.Have like a few popular local “seafood” restaurants in Winnipeg or some of the lakeside resort towns one day. Oh and a fish market would be great also. We should be the new maritime province.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardsh...sh_profile.pdf
Ok then where is my fish market with the catch of the day?

Edit: sorry for sounding snarky. I feel like if there's a fishing industry here it is severely underrepresented and impossible to find. (Almost)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Ok then where is my fish market with the catch of the day?

Edit: sorry for sounding snarky. I feel like if there's a fishing industry here it is severely underrepresented and impossible to find. (Almost)
I think the way freshwater fish was marketed until very recently (through FFMC) probably had a lot to do with the low profile of the industry. With a few odd exceptions, fishermen had to sell through the single desk. That likely stifled the growth of fisherman-operated shops and markets.

(Although I do recall that around Gimli there are a couple of longstanding fish stores that sell directly to consumers, I'm not quite sure how that works. Maybe they just bought through FFMC?)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:13 PM
There is always a way

Shops are fine but a public market where you can get fish caught the same morning and many fishermen bring in there catch is awesome. A building like the forks market would actually be perfect for the task.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is a fresh fish market on Dufferin and another on Pembina. Local fresh fish every day when in season.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:38 PM

There's also a Gimli Fish in Transcona now too! Although it's not to open air market with catch of the day, still gets you fish. I believe you can also special order from them. Or at least ask if they have certain types of fish that could be brought in.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:11 PM

Gimli fish was caught selling mis-labelled fish a few years back, claiming Manitoba pickerel but really out of Europe. Saying it must have been an error, despite it being the case in all their stores, and despite it being brought to their attention months earlier by an employee and ignored.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/local-fi...abel-1.2304760

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan