HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Actually it looks like this development will close off the option of a Polk St bridge for the foreseeable future. It will be extended into the site, but as a cul-de-sac for access to the lobby of the building... as part of the bridge approach, you'd have to elevate Polk St and do some major redesign to the podium of that building as well as River City.

The Riverline plan does include preparations for the Taylor St bridge... the buildings around there will be set back and have blank walls facing the future bridge. Honestly Taylor is not the best spot for a bridge... Taylor does extend west all the way to Western, but east of Wells you have to build a new underpass below Metra and then you still run into the Dearborn Park Chinese wall. Polk is narrower but at least it connects east to State...

Maybe Polk could still get a pedestrian bridge with a smaller footprint?
The corner of Clark and Polk is already massively over-crowded and on any given morning and afternoon traffic is backed up way beyond Roosevelt, and often to 18th. Maybe extending Wells St. through will help, but doing anything to put more traffic in that area would be carmageddon. The whole traffic flow between Congress and Roosevelt and the River and State St. needs a total rethinking but Chicago seems unable to engage in those large-scale conversations these days.

One small suggestion - make Clark two-way one more block to Congress, eliminating the bottleneck where people are forced to turn left or right onto traffic-clogged Harrison as this seems a major factor in the huge backup on Clark.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:53 PM

Looks like foundation equipment coming in...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Looks like foundation equipment coming in...
Wow - was all quiet at lunch today

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Wow - was all quiet at lunch today
I took some snaps from the boat. I'll post them later.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:42 AM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:23 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Nice. 'Bout time big equipment shows up on site. Permit action? Assume something will show up there shortly.....

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Nice. 'Bout time big equipment shows up on site. Permit action? Assume something will show up there shortly.....
There may be two separate pieces of equipment. I know that I saw the big crane being used to lower air conditioning units from atop Wells Street Tower, but I think more was delivered than just for that.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 6:42 PM
Chicago

July 7, 2016

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
July 7, 2016

I'm only past there in late afternoon and weekends, but I've seen no signs of any activity for several weeks. The cranes are gone, and the same piles of broken up stuff are in exactly the same places as they've been for weeks.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 6:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
The corner of Clark and Polk is already massively over-crowded and on any given morning and afternoon traffic is backed up way beyond Roosevelt, and often to 18th. Maybe extending Wells St. through will help, but doing anything to put more traffic in that area would be carmageddon. The whole traffic flow between Congress and Roosevelt and the River and State St. needs a total rethinking but Chicago seems unable to engage in those large-scale conversations these days.

One small suggestion - make Clark two-way one more block to Congress, eliminating the bottleneck where people are forced to turn left or right onto traffic-clogged Harrison as this seems a major factor in the huge backup on Clark.
Well ideally the four-lane Wells-Wentworth will take all or most of the traffic from the Dan Ryan feeder ramps at Cermak. That's the bulk of the traffic on Clark.

Also you've got the Circle Interchange closures right now, which change the traffic patterns all over downtown. No access from the Dan Ryan to inbound Congress, so you have a lot more people exiting at Chinatown, Roosevelt, etc and working their way to the Loop on surface streets.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Still no signs of life again here? I wonder if we have a permitting holdup for some reason here........if so, hopefully just related to a particular issue for project that is on its way to being resolved, and not part of something systemic (as a couple years ago with those massive delays in all building plan reviews and permit issuance)......

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Still no signs of life again here? I wonder if we have a permitting holdup for some reason here........if so, hopefully just related to a particular issue for project that is on its way to being resolved, and not part of something systemic (as a couple years ago with those massive delays in all building plan reviews and permit issuance)......
Also wondering. They didn't even really finish up the site prep and left behind huge piles of stuff they'd scraped off the surface. I haven't seen signs of life in weeks. It isn't showing on the CMK webite as a project, but I don't think it ever did.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:59 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Also wondering. They didn't even really finish up the site prep and left behind huge piles of stuff they'd scraped off the surface. I haven't seen signs of life in weeks. It isn't showing on the CMK webite as a project, but I don't think it ever did.
It's on lend lease's website.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 4:44 PM

7/22

Still quiet...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 9:06 PM

It really baffles me that there's still fields on the riverfront on both sides of river city.

So much prime real estate not being taken advantage of.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:25 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It really baffles me that there's still fields on the riverfront on both sides of river city.

So much prime real estate not being taken advantage of.

Not for long though!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 9:16 PM

How long you guys honestly think until we see development on the West side of the river over on the train tracks side? With the post office redevelopment and riverline i think it's only a matter of time before we see our version of nyc's Hudson yards. Can you imagine if and when all that land gets developed Chicago would feel even way bigger. That has to be at least 100+ sq acres of land.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 9:45 PM
Urbane observer

^Maybe 30 years, unless used for one or another stadium project. Platforms over active railyards aren't cheap.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:26 PM

An update on Riverline courtesy of a neighbor writing in to Sloopin:

Quote:
This email came through via Property Solutions via a fellow resident at my building, Paper Place Loftominiums at 801 S. Wells (across the street from River City):

The Riverline project has been delayed because they are currently working through the Bond process in order to start the infrastructure. The timeline is dependent on the City process and is not something they can control. They hope and anticipate that work would start in first quarter or second quarter of next year (2017). In the meantime, they have been working with the Mayor’s Office regarding ground breaking for the first building which is anticipated to start in mid-September. The early earth work which was started in the spring was simply pot holing in order to make sure they did not run into any obstructions when first building.
Source: http://www.sloopin.com/2016/08/river...layed-due.html

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 6:37 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Wonder what the distinction is between "the riverline project" (first sentence), and "the first building" (fourth sentence). The way it's worded, it's unclear, but sounds to me as if they are saying first building of Riverline is targeted to begin construction next month, while large scale infrastructure work for the overall project won't begin until first or second quarter of next year.......??

Also, I wonder what the bond process in particular is that is mentioned as being worked through? It makes it sound as though this is a public process (as opposed to say, Lend Lease issuing corporate bonds earmarked for the project, or something)......I wonder what that is, though....there weren't TIF funds approved for Riverline, were there??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction