HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 4:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
^ Yes, the city and Metrolinx (a regional transit authority) are planning out a new rapid transit line from Eastgate to McMaster, likely LRT. If so the LRT is a go it will definitely meet up at the Delta square as that's where Main and King comes together. Streetcars will be returning back to the old route again.

I believe there were a proposal out there one time to add more floors to the Delta Block.

Great job flar!

Someone is rather optimistic about LRT returning along this route...the mayor wants it, some local councillors want it, many residents want it. But our public works department is just learning what it is. all they know is cars.
Local Hamilton residents seriously need to keep up the pressure. Public works will do a lame BRT route if we let them off the hook.
The streets are perfectly suited to streetcars and LRT through all of lower Hamilton (other than far east end past Red Hill).
Lets hope they come back and spur revitalization on these streets.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 7:22 PM
BANNED

I love old urban suburbs. Reminds me somewhat of where I lived in Philly on the mainline. It was full of very urban and compact towns such as this one.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:12 PM

Yes, this area is urban and compact and very walkable. To me, it's a no brainer to put LRT through here, the neighbourhood is already set up perfectly for it, as are pretty much all the neighbourhoods in Lower Hamilton. Walkability has to be the most important factor in a good transit system.

Thanks

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:32 PM

i've gone to that bookstore... its a bit scary in there.. you are literally constantly in danger of having all the books fall on you. most books are not accessible. the owner also owns a building a few doors down further east. the windows are all covered and the door is locked, but he took me in there and its completely full of boxes filled with more books.

for any brave book collectors with a ton of time on your hands, it may be cool to comb through this old man's selection. that was my intention but once i got in there i realized i was not up to the task.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 4:07 PM
Closed account

somewhere along the line this thread eluded me. i really like the commercial blocks down there, under-utilised though they may be - huge potential.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 7:49 PM

It's interesting re-reading this thread: just a few months ago we were really skeptical of the city choosing a light rail system. Now it seems everybody is endorsing light rail and there is a very good possibility this neighbourhood will be a streetcar suburb once again. If that happens these commercial blocks will probably no longer be underutilized.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 7:51 PM

Moving to this neighbourhood in 4 weeks from Mississauga!

Any informed opinions on the realistic time frame for the LRT to go through this area...?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 8:19 PM

Definitely saw this when it was first posted, but now that it has been resurrected I noticed that I failed to comment the first time. I don't see how, because this thread warrants some kind words: it's awesome! What a solid-ass little 'burb there. Housing stock is choice. Looks great with the snow, too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:49 PM

^^thanks Jibba

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadriver View Post
Moving to this neighbourhood in 4 weeks from Mississauga!

Any informed opinions on the realistic time frame for the LRT to go through this area...?
I believe Metrolinx is releasing their budget for the next 5 years later this month, then we'll have a better idea. It sounds like Hamilton is getting pushed back to year 4 or 5 as planning for projects in Toronto and York Region are further ahead.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 5:25 AM

Ha,you've captured my old house in photo number five. Great set. This area has to have been one of the most colourful,handy places I've ever lived in. Countless days in Gage Park with the kids and walks down those treed streets that had some gorgeous houses. Excellent bus system and many retail stores. The area was really beginning to decline when I left but I hope that it can revive itself again someday.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos