HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 5:16 PM

I just love the Williams Tower.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
I just love the Williams Tower.
After a long time, I've realized it's my favorite structure in TX

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 12:50 AM

steven holl-designed 'kinder building' for the museum of fine arts, houston prepares to open

Quote:
the museum of fine arts, houston (MFAH) has announced that its new building — the ‘nancy and rich kinder building’ — will open to the public on november 21, 2020. designed by steven holl architects, the latest addition to the institution’s ‘sarofim campus’ is dedicated to presenting works from the museum’s international collections of modern and contemporary art. it will open with the first comprehensive installation of these works, drawn from the collections of latin american and latino art; photography; prints and drawings; decorative arts, craft, and design; and modern and contemporary art.

designed by steven holl architects, the trapezoidal concrete ‘kinder building’ is clad with vertical glass tubes that emit a soft glow at night in a pattern across its façades. five rectangular courtyard pools are inset along the perimeter, emphasizing the building’s openness to its surroundings. ‘light enters the kinder building through the ‘luminous canopy’ of its roof, modeled on the billowing clouds of the texas sky, and light emerges from the cladding of soft-etched translucent glass tubes, whose glowing presence at night will add to the impact of the campus as a civic experience for all of houston,’ explains steven holl.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 6:44 PM

M•K•T, The Standard in The Heights

This is lowkey, pretty cool development of a former industrial site along White Oaks Bayous just north of I10. Residential with a mix of low density retail.

Pics from hindesky on HAIF

First floor parking garage, second floor office/retail space.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 6:46 PM

Block 387 by Fairfield Residential

Your standard 4 stories over a parking garage apartment going up in the southern part of downtown.

Pic from hindesky on HAIF

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 6:47 PM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:53 AM

Last edited by TexasPlaya; Sep 26, 2020 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:56 AM

Alexan Memorial Apartments, Memorial Dr. at Sandman St.

Near Memorial Park, pics by Cityliving on HAIF

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:11 AM

East Houston Emancipation Park

Emancipation Center, Dowling/Elgin St.

Quote:
Located in Houston, the Coleman Global Center will be the leading nonprofit development and think-tank for affordable housing design in the United States. As a research, learning, business and nonprofit link for policy makers in the region, CGC will work with regional, national and international leaders to 1) preserve existing housing resources 2) develop coordinated strategies for regional affordable housing development; 3) provide independent housing policy to stake holders and the community at-larger; and 4) serve as an international model for housing solutions for communities of need. The building is 35,000 square feet housed in five stories.
Pics from Beernut on HAIF

Also some affordable housing included:

Emancipation East & West, Mid-Rise Affordable Housing

From Urbannizer on HAIF

https://www.sc-arch.com/work/emancip...st-apartments/
Quote:
Smith & Company provided feasibility and site studies for the proposed Emancipation East and West Apartments in Third Ward Houston.

The proposed mixed-income housing development is planned as two 4 to 5 story buildings to be developed on the Project Site, located east and west of the intersection of Emancipation Avenue and Drew Street, with an aggregate of approximately 200 units (of which 120 would be affordable to low-income households), ground level retail, and associated parking.

The estimated East | West Project Phase cost of $32 million would be funded through 9% low-income housing tax credits, conventional financing, local government funding (including funding from Midtown of up to $3 million towards the cost of parking and infrastructure improvements) and private contributions.

This will be across from the first development.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:56 AM

South Main Innovation District in Midtown (Former Sears)

Pic from Highrise Tower on HAIF

Pic from Hindsesky on HAIF

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I was under the impression that Memorial Park was largely destroyed by the 2011 drought, but at least from the pic, it looks like there are still a lot of trees. I haven't driven through the park since the drought.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
East Houston Emancipation Park

Emancipation Center, Dowling/Elgin St.

Pics from Beernut on HAIF

Also some affordable housing included:

Emancipation East & West, Mid-Rise Affordable Housing

From Urbannizer on HAIF

https://www.sc-arch.com/work/emancip...st-apartments/

This will be across from the first development.
Love the photos with the skyline in the distance.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I was under the impression that Memorial Park was largely destroyed by the 2011 drought, but at least from the pic, it looks like there are still a lot of trees. I haven't driven through the park since the drought.
Some areas are, especially the eastern part and the walking trails along memorial and memorial loop. The Eastern Glades (pictured) and additional parking covers up some of the drought related devastation but there's still some hard hit areas.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:43 PM
クラブトクヨ

Wait, Houston experienced a drought?? I always thought it was wet and humid. I thought that's why it was always so green when I would visit. The new museum looks incredible, cant wait to visit.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Wait, Houston experienced a drought?? I always thought it was wet and humid. I thought that's why it was always so green when I would visit. The new museum looks incredible, cant wait to visit.
Southeast Texas experienced a pretty bad drought in the early 2010s. Memorial Park was particularly hit hard.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:22 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Houston lost about fifty million trees in the 2011 drought and about 15-20% of Memorial Park was impacted. They did replant some trees since then though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Wait, Houston experienced a drought?? I always thought it was wet and humid. I thought that's why it was always so green when I would visit.
2011. Same drought that destroyed huge swaths of forest around Bastrop.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:00 AM

Pics of recent and current Hines construction from Highrise Tower on HAIF

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:06 AM

Downtown Houston Center Redevelopment

From Triton on HAIF

From Nate on HAIF:

From Highrise Tower on HAIF

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Pics of recent and current Hines construction from Highrise Tower on HAIF

Wait, do I see them cleaning Chase Tower ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations