HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
They're too small. You can get the same price (with better schools) larger house in the suburbs.
Too small how? How big a family are we talking? If you finish the basement, there is plenty of room for a family of four to live comfortably; each kid his own room, a family room, living room, kitchen, and 2 bathrooms. Family of 5 would get tight, admittedly, but there are larger bungalows. Some people even *gasp* built a 1-room addition on the back!

As a product of Chicago Public Schools, I feel qualified to say that the "schools are better in the suburbs" argument is self-fulfilling bullshit perpetuated by people that are motivated either by racism or a discriminatory form of classism. If you swapped all the students from an average ghetto CPS school with Naperville North, we'd hear about how awful the Naperville school district is and everyone would clammer to send their kids to CPS. It's entirely self-fulfilling. A good and successful child is more likely produced by a good parent, not by a good school.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 12:23 AM

Well Im in a family of five out in the suburbs and i guess i should say the perception is that of better schools. (Even though my high school is failing those testing levels)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
As a product of Chicago Public Schools, I feel qualified to say that the "schools are better in the suburbs" argument is self-fulfilling bullshit perpetuated by people that are motivated either by racism or a discriminatory form of classism. If you swapped all the students from an average ghetto CPS school with Naperville North, we'd hear about how awful the Naperville school district is and everyone would clammer to send their kids to CPS. It's entirely self-fulfilling. A good and successful child is more likely produced by a good parent, not by a good school.
OK, whatever, parents are better in the suburbs. You said it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 2:03 AM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfinley View Post
It was just a rumor started by an investor with Delta--an open letter regarding a buyout he'd like to see. Delta and United Airlines haven't had any merger talks, and for Chicago's sake I hope a deal like this wouldn't go through, e.g. the name and headquarters remain in Chicago but operations move to Atlanta.
Delta and UAL aren't admitting to having any talks, but they both have committees for the purpose of "examining their options" as far as mergers go.

And yeah, an investor is the most public voice right now -- an investment fund with a big equity stake. This merger will happen because there's a lot of money to be saved in the short term by doing it, because the current administration is merger friendly and because the people making the decisions can cash out before any negative repercussions arise.

I do believe, though, that Chicago would remain pre-eminent in the new United, not just home to HQ. Atlanta would be de-emphasized a little.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 2:06 AM

Lol. Whatever. Chicago has several really good schools, you just have to try hard to get into them, and actually care. It's your own fault if you flounder in the cesspools of CPS. CPS doesn't hold anyone's hand, but with a little motivation, they don't drown you either.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalucedm View Post
Lol. Whatever. Chicago has several really good schools, you just have to try hard to get into them, and actually care. It's your own fault if you flounder in the cesspools of CPS. CPS doesn't hold anyone's hand, but with a little motivation, they don't drown you either.
Yeah.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
OK, whatever, parents are better in the suburbs. You said it.
Damn, nice retort, shut down...

I hate to say it, but suburban schools really are better, I don't see how schools that get funded with wayyyy more tax dollars are worse or equal on average than schools with way less funding.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 5:58 PM

The motivated will do well, as the unmotivated will not, in any school. But since 90% of kids out there don't really care and just go with the flow, CPS may not be the best place. The bottom line is at a typical CPS, there is still a large percentage of the student body that can't read or do basic math. A large share of students drop out entierly. No parent wants to risk their kids "falling into that group" just to make some political statement about urbanism and smart growth.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 6:17 PM
Registered

^ And hence, the vicious cycle perpetuates...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 6:20 PM
1st Ward

CPS magnet schools top the lists for best schools in the state. You can't really judge the entire CPS system in general. There are a great many schools, and then there are horrific schools that seem like something out of a nightmare. It all depends where the school is located. Highschools in Englewood are just as bad as suburban schools such as Proviso East in Maywood or Morton East in Cicero. If students dont give a damn about learning, there is only so much you can do.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:22 PM

Parkhomes at Lakeshore East

Taken by EarlyBuyer 11/18/07

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:32 PM
Registered

^ I am surprised by the way this is being built. I had assumed they would be more like the typical townhouses you see on the North Side. These seem more akin to the construction of a mid-sized building, thus far.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ I am surprised by the way this is being built. I had assumed they would be more like the typical townhouses you see on the North Side. These seem more akin to the construction of a mid-sized building, thus far.
They will be "stacked" townhomes...so in some ways these will be mid-rise building(s) with a townhome facade and individual interior floorplan.

Link to Parkhomes still available: http://www.magellansells.com/properties.php?catID=1

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:45 PM
1st Ward

^ from what i recall, i think the parkhomes will be rather tall, around 6 to 7 stories. are there any renderings of the parkhomes? i havent seen any in quite a while.

edit: beat me to the punch, earlybuyer

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:48 PM

Quote:
The reason must be, they have all this expensive equipment in the area already, why not just build them like any other high-rise, but give them a townhome touch. eh?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:00 PM

LSE Parkhomes Renderings

From Loewenberg Website

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
The reason must be, they have all this expensive equipment in the area already, why not just build them like any other high-rise, but give them a townhome touch. eh?
Yep, that and - wow... it really is a mid-rise.

I hadn't seen this one before (stopped reading the Trib. real estate section a while back due to lack of time, maybe that's why)... hmmm.... I think the larger building really isn't very nice, sorry to say. The hand-done stuff, just showing the "homes" and the leafy trees, seemed much more attractive to me.

Does anyone know why Magellan hired a California archicture firm to design these? There are dozens of firms in Chicago that could have done just as well. I support bringing in outside architects when you hire someone really special, but I'm not seeing it here.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:22 PM

Much better picture honte than the thumbnail-ish ones I'd posted.

Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:28 PM
THAT Guy

I haven't checked up on the Information Commons building in a long time, but it's pretty far along.

Pics from Loyola

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:32 PM

Quote:
:/ It looks off to me: a little like a resort. Perhaps, once the trees mature...? But by then I can't imagine this would be the most efficient use of the space given the likely rise in property values.

Does anyone have an idea of what the longevity might be for new construction townhomes in the urban core?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development