HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
how do people feel about the Contemporaine's concrete now that it's 15 years old?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8916...7i16384!8i8192
Hmm, that's a tough one. I respect it, it's honest. The parking podium is about the best that can be expected. But they didn't bury the parking when they could have.
I'm not a fan of protruding balconies if they don't form a coherent exterior. And maybe it's just me, but something about raw concrete just feels bleak. Remember Total Recall, the original?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
“Development is slowing due to rising construction costs, tougher affordable housing regulations and worries about rising property taxes, said Ron DeVries, senior managing director in Integra’s Chicago office”
Rising costs will probably result in projects being spaced out more, which isn't bad if one wants to avoid a bubble. I'm hoping that's why I've seen slowdowns on suburban projects. That there's just a shortage of crews, not a shortage of funding.

For regulations and taxes, good luck with that. Keep building I guess.

Last edited by aaron38; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:37 AM

Old Town Park 2: pushing the boundary of downtown just a little farther northwest

Higher-Res version:

On a side note, does anybody know how I can attach a *normal-sized* high res photo

Last edited by AlpacaObsessor; Aug 21, 2019 at 7:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
how do people feel about the Contemporaine's concrete now that it's 15 years old?

I think it looks terrible. All the micro-cracks on the walls along Grand. The discoloring all the way up the building. It's a mess. Imagine what it will look like after another 15 years!!

Disclosure: I worked for the concrete contractor that built this structure, and I was onsite for most of the duration of construction. We told the client the building should be coated, but they wanted to save a buck, so it was left bare. The building across Grand to the north was built concurrently, and has painted concrete. I think it looks much better.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:54 PM

^just to be clear and with all due respect to your insider knowledge being involved with the actual concrete construction on this building, the concrete was left exposed not to 'save a buck', but rather because Perkins & Will's Ralph Johnson specified the finish...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:58 PM
BANNED

^So that begs the question; did Mr Johnson specify the finish to save a buck? :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Rising costs will probably result in projects being spaced out more, which isn't bad if one wants to avoid a bubble. I'm hoping that's why I've seen slowdowns on suburban projects. That there's just a shortage of crews, not a shortage of funding.

For regulations and taxes, good luck with that. Keep building I guess.
Aaron, you're exactly right. I am a contractor and my pricing is 10% higher over last year, due to there being more work on the street than manpower to do it. This summer, I saw many projects get shelved due to them being over-budget. Times are good for contractors and tradesmen, that's for sure.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:03 PM
The City

Big Wicker Park project lands city in court

I thought this was interesting.

One developer suing the city for pushing through the zoning for a competing developer:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...nds-city-court

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:40 PM

^^^ https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...nds-city-court
Quote:
The project at 1628 W. Division St. “will diminish the value of neighboring properties as a result of its inappropriate size, density and building scale and the resulting undue burden on public infrastructure and city service—including specifically the already overcrowded CTA Blue Line stop at Division Street,” the complaints say.
How did we get to this point where people are allowed to say "Sorry, neighborhood's full. Go live somewhere else."?
By their own logic those complaining about already overcrowded conditions should move away to reduce their burden on their neighbors.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
^^^ https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...nds-city-court

How did we get to this point where people are allowed to say "Sorry, neighborhood's full. Go live somewhere else."?
By their own logic those complaining about already overcrowded conditions should move away to reduce their burden on their neighbors.
It starts with people thinking they get to "possess" an area based on residency. There is no difference between saying "too many white people moving into OUR neighborhood" and "too many poor people moving j to OUR neighborhood" or "too many immigrants moving into OUR neighborhood".

The fact of the matter is that the correct policy both on moral grounds and for maximum housing affordability is to remove these idiots from the process and liberalize housing laws wholesale. Democracy is great and all, but we live in a representative republic for a reason. Not all opinions are created equal, time for legislators to step up and enact policy based on data and facts and not on how some nitwit "feels" about the direction their neighborhood is headed...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It starts with people thinking they get to "possess" and area based on residency. There is no difference between saying "too many white people moving into OUR neighborhood" and "too many poor people moving j to OUR neighborhood" or "too many immigrants moving into OUR neighborhood".

The fact of the matter is that the correct policy both on moral grounds and for maximum housing affordability is to remove these idiots from the process and liberalize housing laws wholesale. Democracy us great and all, but we live in a representative republic for a reason. Not all opinions are created equal, time for legislators to step up and enact policy based on data and facts and not on how some nitwit "feels" about the direction their neighborhood is headed...
Direct democracy is very dangerous as history has proven many times.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:10 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
A looming slowdown in the apartment construction boom:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...pers-pull-back

These guys (used to be ARC) are not great analysts/market forecasters. Use with caution. The pullback they are calling for in the medium-term at least will not be as pronounced as their latest prognostication calls for, as we're going to see a bit of a bump in starts now thru early-mid '20. They should see it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:11 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
I think it looks terrible. All the micro-cracks on the walls along Grand. The discoloring all the way up the building. It's a mess. Imagine what it will look like after another 15 years!!

Disclosure: I worked for the concrete contractor that built this structure, and I was onsite for most of the duration of construction. We told the client the building should be coated, but they wanted to save a buck, so it was left bare. The building across Grand to the north was built concurrently, and has painted concrete. I think it looks much better.

You've got to be kidding. You think the Grand on Grand looks better (in any way, any detail) than The Contemporaine? That's just kooky.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:13 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Love it. This is how you do a parking garage without hiding it. There are so many wonderful things about this building.

You and Harry are of course on-point here. This building is an absolute gem, state of concrete and all. Phenomenal piece of design. Truly one of Ralph Johnson's greats.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:19 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaccer05 View Post
Very nice roundup by Curbed on the West Loop / Fulton Market building boom. I've long lost track and simply can't keep up.

Mapping the West Loop’s development boom:

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/west...on-development

Truly a gold rush.

I've got to say though, in terms of quality, it's a bit of a crapshoot. There are some gems, some decent, some meh, and a bunch of trash.

And, what is the deal with this Michigan Ave Real Estate outfit? Good grief.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I think this is one of the best looking parking garages I have ever seen. And I hate parking garages! It's a pleasure to walk by. I always feel like I'm looking into a hamster habitat. If someone asked me to submit a Best Garage Nominee, I'd be considering this one along with Marina City.

For some reason, I also have a soft spot in my hear for 401 N. State: https://goo.gl/maps/ZvRJMfHM1i17kH3H6

I do not know what it is about that structure, but I don't hate it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I think this is one of the best looking parking garages I have ever seen. And I hate parking garages! It's a pleasure to walk by. I always feel like I'm looking into a hamster habitat. If someone asked me to submit a Best Garage Nominee, I'd be considering this one along with Marina City.

For some reason, I also have a soft spot in my hear for 401 N. State: https://goo.gl/maps/ZvRJMfHM1i17kH3H6

I do not know what it is about that structure, but I don't hate it.
One of my favorite pictures I've taken has 401N state as a focal point in it. The building is gritty, raw, authentic, and dystopian/post apocalyptic. I understand why people hate it and all its hunking metal though

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:14 AM

I guess this could belong in here, but just reporting on some "success" for No. 9 Walton. Of course you know about the condos and maybe the restaurant/lounge there. Also recently 2 retail stores opened up there - October's Very Own which is owned by the famous rapper Drake (https://us.octobersveryown.com/pages/chicago), and also Indochino (suits) is there now too (https://www.indochino.com/showroom/chicago)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:03 AM

Fulton East - 215 N Peoria

Aug 6

Chicago | 215 N Peoria by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Aug 14

From Clark st bridge.

Aug 16

From Ashland sta. on the Green line

closer

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 11:54 AM

Gr333n - 333 N Green

Aug 16

Chicago | Gr333n by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 11:56 AM

The Mill - 734 N Milwaukee

Aug 16

Chicago | TheMill by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations