HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
LOL sorry I wasn't more clear. Straight from The Churchill owners, Pedal Haus is no longer part of their concept
Bummer....I was looking forward to Pedal Haus the most of all the tenants

Wonder if it was a disagreement, financially related, or a lack of confidence in the project.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Bummer....I was looking forward to Pedal Haus the most of all the tenants

Wonder if it was a disagreement, financially related, or a lack of confidence in the project.
Even though pedalhaus isn't the best with food and drink, they do a great job with their atmosphere, that's really too bad, I hope they find another tenant that will fit well in this project or it may be DOA

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:23 AM
Modulator

The Churchill is looking fairly complete. I have to admit, I was skeptical, but now am digging the project much more. The containers have received a grey paint job and the interior looks very open.

Snapped a couple pics:

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:27 AM

Thanks for the (huge) pics. It's looking great - this place will be a hotspot.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Thanks for the (huge) pics. It's looking great - this place will be a hotspot.
Haha, yea. Sorry about the pic size. I thought about resizing them, but I figured people would want to see some detail.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Aug 8, 2018 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 12:27 AM

I'm not exactly a fan of that blue art piece container, but everything else looks cool. The gray paint and font choice looks really good together.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 12:50 AM

^ Peter Deise is a local sculptor. I think it will look great when it's lit up at night.

http://peterdeise.wixsite.com/deisesculptures/sculpture

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:46 PM
Modulator

Shipping container retail development sets opening date in downtown Phoenix

And here we go:

Quote:
The Churchill, a retail-restaurant project fashioned out of old seaport shipping containers, has set its opening date.

The project, along with its 10 local tenants, will open Sept. 1 at the corner of First and Garfield streets in the downtown Phoenix Roosevelt Row arts district.

The highly anticipated development seeks to be a new downtown hangout, featuring a courtyard that can seat up to 300. A second-story rooftop deck provides views of the surrounding area. Several pieces of local art and murals adorn the space.

“The Churchill has an intensely local focus, from our tenants to lending a helping hand to the surrounding neighborhoods,” said Kell Duncan, who co-founded The Churchill alongside partner Hartley Rodie.

The Churchill was designed by Local Studio, which also designed shipping container residential projects on Grand Avenue and Second Street.

Tenants set to open at the Churchill:
▪Breadwinner – a new restaurant concept by Culinary Mafia Group, the team behind Scottsdale’s EVO
▪Pedal Haus Brewery – the second installment of the Tempe-based brewpub
▪Pobrecito – a new cocktail concept from the team behind Counter Intuitive and Undertow
▪Provecho – a food concept that offers flavors from Central Mexico
▪Freak Brothers Pizza – a food truck turned brick-and-mortar restaurant that cooks up Neapolitan-style pizzas in 90 seconds using a 1,000-degree oven
▪Foxy Fruit – a health-conscious spot serving smoothies and acai bowls
▪Sauvage – a bottle shop offering wines at an approachable price
▪State Forty Eight – a homegrown lifestyle brand
▪Cosas – a container boutique that features the work of local artisans from various regions of Mexico
▪Gather – a retail spot offering home and lifestyle goods
Couresy of: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...hill-sets.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:43 PM
self-important urbanista

So Pedal Haus is back on the roster of Churchill tenants?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
So Pedal Haus is back on the roster of Churchill tenants?
I was wondering that myself or if the Business Journal has an outdated list?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I was wondering that myself or if the Business Journal has an outdated list?
AZ Central has the updated list. Pedaul Haus being replaced by The Brill Line. Pedal Haus would’ve been so much better in this location. Oh well

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...nix/671263002/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
AZ Central has the updated list. Pedaul Haus being replaced by The Brill Line. Pedal Haus would’ve been so much better in this location. Oh well

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...nix/671263002/
As much as I was looking forward to Pedal Haus, I like the concept being maintained as a place for local craft brews. Glad they found a replacement real quick. For those who don't know its namesake, the Brill streetcar line used to run north on 10th St to Sheridan starting service in 1895 in the North Garfield neighborhood (which was then known as the 'Brill Addition' when it was plotted in the 1880s.) Your history lesson for today

Walked by earlier, tons of workers and shop owners on-site. The inside looks pretty stellar, and dare I say, I think this place will live up to the hype!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:31 PM

Why didn't they just finish enclosing the space? It seems like it would have been so much cooler in there without the open air concept.

I love me a food hall but can't understand why places like this refuse to acknowledge that AZ is crazy hot during the summer. People don't want to sit where it's bearable, they want to sit where it's cool.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMancini View Post
Why didn't they just finish enclosing the space? It seems like it would have been so much cooler in there without the open air concept.

I love me a food hall but can't understand why places like this refuse to acknowledge that AZ is crazy hot during the summer. People don't want to sit where it's bearable, they want to sit where it's cool.
With proper shade, fans and misters patios are very pleasant all summer long, look at O.H.S.O, Ocotillo and 4peaks, they manage to keep their large outdoor spaces busy all summer long.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:09 PM

Downtown Phoenix bar to close, reopen as new concept

Pobresito has closed down but looks like will be replaced right away with a stand-alone cocktail concept.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...en-as-new.html

Other good tidbits here as they mention the same owners for the new So Far, So Good also plan to open up a bar (Axiom) at one of the bungalows at 6th St and Roosevelt. And also a new speakeasy/prohibition concept near UnderTow called Century Grand.

Edit: found AZ Central article on Century Grand. Looks pretty awesome!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ng/2052255001/

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Pobresito has closed down but looks like will be replaced right away with a stand-alone cocktail concept.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...en-as-new.html

Other good tidbits here as they mention the same owners for the new So Far, So Good also plan to open up a bar (Axiom) at one of the bungalows at 6th St and Roosevelt. And also a new speakeasy/prohibition concept near UnderTow called Century Grand.

Edit: found AZ Central article on Century Grand. Looks pretty awesome!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ng/2052255001/
At first i was afraid we'd end up with a vacancy at Churchill when reading the headline which could kill it if you only have one bar and other start to leave. But this is a win-win all around!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:37 PM

Chef behind one of Arizona's most iconic dishes to open new downtown PHX restaurant

Going in the old Breadwinner Knockout Sandwiches spot...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...wn/3918619002/
Quote:
It's been several months since Breadwinner Knockout Sandwiches closed up shop at The Churchill, downtown Phoenix's shipping container food court and gathering spot. Now we know what will replace the dining option. And for fans of Arizona's "state salad," it's some pretty exciting news.

Commander Hamburger, a new casual concept from well-known Phoenix chef Bernie Kantak, will join the lineup at The Churchill. The restaurant will celebrate its grand opening at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17, with free soft serve. The first 100 customers will get a limited-edition Commander Hamburger card that earns them a free Danzeisen soft serve any time they make a purchase for the remainder of 2019.

The comic-themed food counter will serve burgers, sandwiches and, of course, Kantak's famous Original Chopped Salad.

What's on the Commander Hamburger menu
According to a press release, the Commander Hamburger menu will include burgers and chicken sandwiches. Both will be served on locally made buns from Noble Bread.

Other menu options will include soft serve locally sourced from family-run dairy farm Danzeisen Dairy and fries.

Diners also will be able to order Kantak's famous Original Chopped Salad, which has been given the unofficial title of Arizona's "state salad" and is so popular it has its own Facebook fan page with more than 3,600 likes.

The salad first appeared on the menu at the now-closed Scottsdale restaurant Cowboy Ciao at least 20 years ago and is made with chopped arugula, pearl couscous, dried sweet corn, pepitas, dried currants, Asiago cheese, marinated tomatoes and buttermilk herb dressing.

Kantak also is the culinary mind behind popular metro Phoenix restaurants Citizen Public House and The Gladly. He and business partner Andrew Fritz run In Good Spirits Hospitality Group, which has sustained two upscale restaurant despite a trend toward more informal dining.

Commander Hamburger will be the company's first foray into casual dining and will join nine other businesses at The Churchill, which opened in September 2018. Already there have been some changes to the project's lineup of businesses.

Not only did Breadwinner shutter after less than a year in operation, but Pobrecito, a Latin-inspired cocktail bar that formerly occupied one of the most high-profile spaces in the space, also closed in late August this year.

A new bar called So Far, So Good, headed by former Porbrecito general manager Sam Olguin has since taken over the space.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
At first i was afraid we'd end up with a vacancy at Churchill when reading the headline which could kill it if you only have one bar and other start to leave. But this is a win-win all around!
I was there last week and its already open, the new bar.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Going in the old Breadwinner Knockout Sandwiches spot...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...wn/3918619002/
Care to link the story

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Care to link the story
Done my bad!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest