HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

One Madison Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 7:50 AM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Journalists are routinely sloppy when it comes to new buildings in NYC. I can't think anyone would actually destroy the upper reaches of the "clock tower;" that would be far, far worse than the demoliton of the Drake... besides, it's just too thin to stretch to 900 feet, and what would be the point? They might as well just destroy it altogether. I doubt it's foundations could possibly accomodate the extra load of all those additional floors.

No, the Met Life North Tower makes far, far more sense: not least of which, because it has the foundations for building up to 900 feet to begin with. Besides, it would be following in a recent trend in the City in favor of new construction in the guise (partially, at least) of old stone construction (like the preservation of the Hearst base, for example).
All the news report say it will be the annex at One Madison Avenue. It will in no way be the tower, the tower is a NY Landmark and it is impossible to make significant altercations to it. The annex was built in the 1950's and is a rather unremarkable building, like MetLife North it can accomidate a taller structure, on this site approximately 500,000 square feet by law. According to all news reports heres where the tower will rise:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 1:57 PM
World Machine

This is an example of what NYC density really is. New mixed with old in tight spaces. I love it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 2:24 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

From Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...79157620070920

September 20, 2007

Quote:
Israeli firm plans Manhattan's highest residence

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Real estate company Elad Group, owned by Israeli billionaire Yitzhak Tshuva, plans to build New York's tallest residential building in a $450 million deal, an industry source said on Thursday.

Elad, which also owns New York's Plaza Hotel, plans to construct an additional 75 floors on top of an existing 20-story building, said the source, who asked not to be named.

Elad officials were not immediately available for comment.

The Madison Avenue building will stand 274 meters (899 feet) tall.

Building plans are currently being examined by the New York City municipality and are subject to regulatory approval, Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth said.
The journalists sure aren't sure which building this is going to be added to.

Interestingly enough, I found this article on wikipedia, where a contributer thought it referred to the north building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo..._Company_Tower

Quote:
What stands of the North Building today is what was to be the 32-story base for the 100-story tower, built with the structural strength and number of elevator shafts needed for a later completion. There have been proposals to add floors to this 32-floor base and to 'complete' the tower. An Israeli real estate company called Elad Properties has applied for permits to add 75 floors to the annex. The completed building will be 889 feet tall and will be the tallest residential building in New York City. [2]
The reference was to the Reuters article.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 2:38 PM
World Machine

Well you know what this means, Donald Trump will be looking to build one taller than this. Trump World Tower's days of being the cities tallest residential highrise are numbered.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 4:03 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Well you know what this means, Donald Trump will be looking to build one taller than this. Trump World Tower's days of being the cities tallest residential highrise are numbered.
He seems to be having that problem everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 4:38 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
He seems to be having that problem everywhere.
He was pissed to no end with the Chicago Spire.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 4:44 PM

good

that unfinished supertall looks pretty nice though,its a very nice,even if it was a ESB rival.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 6:30 PM
World Machine

I think if it were finished it would have took a lot of fame away from the ESB. Things have a way of working out.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:33 AM

Wow, this one came out of nowhere, despite the hints and leaks about the tower. Great news. If this comes to fruition, coupled with the existing skyscrapers and the u/c One Madison Park, Madison Square will be quite a foirmidable cluster of skyscrapers with a peak, though not mass, to rival Midtown. And if someone does finish that 100-story project, the cluster will be quite amazing.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:50 AM

New York threads need to be better about sticking a rendering in the first post. Even after the fact, a mod can edit the first post to add the rendering.

There's a huge one in magazines currently, just don't have scanning or webhosting capabilities myself.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 5:14 AM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
New York threads need to be better about sticking a rendering in the first post. Even after the fact, a mod can edit the first post to add the rendering.

There's a huge one in magazines currently, just don't have scanning or webhosting capabilities myself.
Upper Westsider, what magazine is there a rendering of this project? I have scanning and webhosting capabilities and would be happy to oblige.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 5:22 PM
Time/Space

What rendering? Could he be talking about One Madison Park? The tower that is already under construction on 23rd on the south side of the Park?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 7:37 PM

Actually the proposed location is north of 23rd and to the east a little toward Park Avenue South. I believe the current bldg is an extention to Met-Life built in 1950.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 9:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Elad will invest $450 million in the One Madison Avenue building, fronting Madison Square Park and East 23rd Street, adding floors to the 17-story New York City landmark. The result will be a 74-story skyscraper that will by 900 feet (274 meters) tall. The building will top the 72-story 262 meter Trump World Tower. The 283-meter tall 70-storey Trump Building, an office building on Wall Street, will still be higher than Tshuva’s new development however. Only two residential skyscrapers in Australia - the Q1 Tower in Gold Coast, Queensland, and Melbourne’s Eureka Tower - will top One Madison Avenue.
Wow. I've been away for less than a week, but come home to some great news...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 9:37 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Wow. I've been away for less than a week, but come home to some great news...
Where'd you go NYGUY?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Where'd you go NYGUY?
Away for a funeral.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 11:44 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09262007...tall_order.htm

MAD. AVE. A TALL ORDER
COULD BECOME 900-FOOT TOWER

September 26, 2007

A new residential tower being considered for 1 Madison Ave. could become the city's tallest apartment building.

We've learned that Elad Properties, which is redeveloping the Plaza Hotel and residences, has an agreement with SL Green Realty Corp. to use SLG's more than 400,000 feet of air rights to construct a 74-story tower on top of the 1.2 million-foot, 14-story building in which investment bank Credit Suisse both has an interest and its offices. Daniel Liebeskind is the architect.

But don't get Elad's development plans confused with the 41-story adjacent building to its north. Though that tower, which is better known as the landmarked Clock Tower, once had the address 1 Madison Ave., it was renamed 5 Madison Ave. after it was sold to Africa-Israel for $200 million, with plans to develop the site into residential units.

We're sure right now that Africa-Israel's Lev Leviev is steaming that his rival, Yitzhak Tshuva, and Tshuva's local boss, Micki Naftali, will be dwarfing his own scheme.

The two buildings, together known as the Met Life Building, comprise 1.93 acres and take up the entire block bounded by 23rd and 24th streets and Madison and Park Avenue South, but the Clock Tower itself takes up just the corner of Madison and 24th Street.

Israeli press reports said that Elad would spend $450 million to create the new 900-foot-tall building overlooking Madison Square Park.

Elad issued a statement clarifying other erroneous reports that claimed city approvals were in place. "Any discussion of a potential development at 1 Madison Avenue is highly premature. It is in its earliest concept phase and no decisions have been made about any aspect of the potential development," the company said in its statement.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 11:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Perhaps the ever tinkering Gehry will up his own 876 ft tower...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:24 PM

876' is just the DOB height, which is to the top of the highest floor.
It has been reported at 950' a few times recently.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:40 PM

Is this going to obstruct Metlife?

I go to school in this area, and to be honest, I'm VERY iffy on this...

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects