HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 4:00 AM

There are plenty of underwhelming buildings downtown that I don’t have much love for, however I’d rather see more empty lots filled than currently existing structures demolished for new.

If this RL redevelopment comes to fruition, I think it’d be neat enough. Eventually, a hang glider would be ran over by a car after crash landing in the middle of 6th South.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
There are plenty of underwhelming buildings downtown that I don’t have much love for, however I’d rather see more empty lots filled than currently existing structures demolished for new.

If this RL redevelopment comes to fruition, I think it’d be neat enough. Eventually, a hang glider would be ran over by a car after crash landing in the middle of 6th South.
If anything, it expands the downtown core, which is never a bad thing

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 5:07 AM

Talking

^^^

Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 12:47 PM

Does that development propose getting rid of Brewvies?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Salt Lake Temple (3/6).
Thanks for the pictures! It will be awesome to see this engineering project in progress. You may want to reduce the size of your images before you link them, or put a 'h' in front of the ".jpg" to have skyscraperpage reduce the size for you. Or you could even put them in a linked album for us to click over to:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

That said, thanks for the update! For some reason I had though that the wall around Temple Square was the original pioneer-era structure, but since there is clearly rebar sticking out of the wall stub, clearly I was wrong.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:43 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Thanks for the pictures! It will be awesome to see this engineering project in progress. You may want to reduce the size of your images before you link them, or put a 'h' in front of the ".jpg" to have skyscraperpage reduce the size for you.
Will do. I was wondering why they were so big!

ETA:// Hmmmmmm.....I added an 'h' before the ".jpg", but it didn't change anything.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 11:14 PM

When you do find out how to reduce them let me know. I've been wondering how to reduce photos for a while now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
That said, thanks for the update! For some reason I had though that the wall around Temple Square was the original pioneer-era structure, but since there is clearly rebar sticking out of the wall stub, clearly I was wrong.
I have heard that some parts of the original pioneer-era temple block wall is still present (and being torn down for the renovation). You can also see some original pioneer-era stone wall just a little east of there on the east side of the Lion House. They actually had to move that whole section of wall when State St. was widened back in the day.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 2:04 AM

CCH site this evening.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0N9Svfq

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Will do. I was wondering why they were so big!

ETA:// Hmmmmmm.....I added an 'h' before the ".jpg", but it didn't change anything.
That's too bad. That trick usually works when I link an image I have uploaded to imgur. The only other option is that you will have to create a copy of your photo that has been resized to a more manageable pixel size, then upload that copy to wherever your images are hosted.

It's too bad it isn't easier to post pictures on these threads. I really enjoy the photo-update posts.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:26 PM
Space Magi

Seems like good news for this project:
EnerBank Inks First Deal at SLC’s 650 Main

Hey Hatman, the 650 Main website mentions a new TRAX stop to be built on Main Street. Is this something that's actually in planning at UTA?

Last edited by Atlas; Mar 11, 2020 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:12 PM

Great News about 650 S. Main and the visible startup of the CCH! Very excited to see these projects start to rise.

You guys know that I'm usually pretty positive about the development scene in Salt Lake but there's one critique that I just can't let slip by. For some time now I've been pretty ticked at the comparative mediocre height and especially designs that Marriott keeps imposing on Salt Lake City. But even in a crowded field of SLC Marriott mediocrity, the new Town Place Suites sinks to a new low. Even its neighbor, 'former Shilo' is an improvement over Town Place. There is nothing good that can be said about the exterior finish. Everything from the general overall appearance to the configuration of the windows, their size and cheap-looking aluminum trim is gawd awful. I wouldn't wish that hotel on an outskirts interchange of Magna let alone downtown Salt Lake. I know a few others have put their negative two cents in and I have to strongly agree. THE TOWNPLACE SUITES...UGH, what an abject design failure.! Whoever approved the exterior detail of that franchised piece of crap should be thrown in jail. The paint is barely dry and someone please buy it and at the very least upgrade the exterior. Any change would be an improvement, except for maybe painting it flamingo pink. Wait a minute, on second thought maybe even that would be an improvement.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Hey Hatman, the 650 Main website mentions a new TRAX stop to be built on Main Street. Is this something that's actually in planning at UTA?
It looks like EnerBank is currently located at Brickyard. Always good when companies move to downtown from the outside

Last edited by DCRes; Mar 12, 2020 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
While I am not Hatman, I can say that this station is primarily being funded by SLC directly. They included funds in the 2019/2020 budget for this station. The City has directed some funds for the last few years. The last I saw, the station was roughly 85% funded with the last funding to hopefully come from the budget that will be completed this June.

Once the funding is completed, the City will coordinate with UTA to build the station. I think the goal is still to have this completed and in service by late 2021 or early 2022.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:07 PM
Space Magi

Awesome, thanks for the info. That stop will be especially good for the 650 Main project and the residential one across the street.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:05 PM

I guess I don't check this thread often enough through the day!
Makid's answer is better than mine. I can only say that the 600 South TRAX station was planned for from the very beginning. Just like the 900 South station, space was left between the tracks for a platform to be built, and the utility lines already run below the tracks to a cabinet in the island.
Once this station is complete, the only other planned-but-unbuilt infill station will Vineyard on the FrontRunner South line.
I'm very happy to hear that there is a completion date set! The sooner the better!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't check this thread often enough through the day!
Makid's answer is better than mine. I can only say that the 600 South TRAX station was planned for from the very beginning. Just like the 900 South station, space was left between the tracks for a platform to be built, and the utility lines already run below the tracks to a cabinet in the island.
Once this station is complete, the only other planned-but-unbuilt infill station will Vineyard on the FrontRunner South line.
I'm very happy to hear that there is a completion date set! The sooner the better!
Hatman, isn't the 2400 West North Temple Trax station still planned? I know they left it in a similar position as that of the 600 South station. I have hoped that with all the recent developments near 215 and North Temple plus the additional developments down 2400 West that this station may be built sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:59 PM

Huh, I'd never heard of that station, but looking at a map I see that you are right - there is station-sized island between the tracks at 2200 West, North Temple, complete with crosswalk and some utility boxes already in place. I had always assumed that place was a failed experiment to test growing grass between the rails, though I guess it did prove that TRAX trains don't usually set dead dry grass on fire...
That is an interesting location for a station. It would be less than 2000 feet away from the 1940 West station, which is closer than any other two stations on the Airport Line. But since it would be alone on the west side of I-215, I can see the wisdom of wanting a station there. Are there any firm plans of future developments in that area?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Are there any firm plans of future developments in that area?
A few years back when I interviewed with L3, they mentioned the future station as a selling point. Since this time, they have expanded their campus and employment in the area.

I don't know what the tipping point is for the station to be built but I know it was thought of as the primary station for those working down 2200 west between the west side of 215 and the airport.

Prior to The Parking Spot being built between North Temple and I-80, I thought that the location would have been great for an Airport garage that could be used for employees or as long term parking. With the station at 2200 W, those that would have used the garage would have free transit to the airport and back.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:

I mean, yeah, it's better than a parking lot, but 10 stories at 326,000 sq. ft.
is a lot of horizontal.
222 has 433,000 on 22 floors for comparison.
Sure it's convenient right off the 6th so. freeway (or 9th so.), ((car-centric)),
but to me, this development would be better across the street from R.C. Willey on 21st south....or sumthin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West