HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

41 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 12:45 PM

is this the lair of some super villain?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 10:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

Idk, but the top is definitely the antichrists penthouse.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:39 AM
BANNED

Yeah is this like a superweapon or something?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 12:23 AM

It definetly has too much going on, but it doesnt look nearly as bad as it should on paper. I would love to see a return facade ornamentations, and that modern day gargoyle thing is pretty cool.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 12:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It would probably look wicked in the skyline. There really wouldn't be anything close to it in the city. Its so radically different. Its like a cracked out version of the 20's pre-war architecture, only with a 21st century twist. Sure would make heads snap up at a 102 floors.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:10 AM

This is a very cool vision.

In any case, I'm happy to see this site moving forward. With these kinds of air rights, and in that location, we'll probably get something pretty tall and special.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 3:27 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Maybe this is the Schvo tower site.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:01 PM

Apparently they would use some kind of robotic stone carving technology. No skilled artisans would employed other than the design and robotic engineers.

I don't have to love this design to desperately want something this unique to be built.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 1:35 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.engineering.com/BIM/Artic...hitecture.aspx

Quote:
Combining Robotics with BIM for Architecture

At 1,492 ft high, the so-called Khaleesi Tower isn’t on the same scale as supertall skyscrapers such as the Shanghai Tower. However, it will certainly hold its own in Manhattan.

Like most towers, the main structure is constructed from glass and concrete. The stylized architectural details are to be carved out of limestone-tinted concrete panels and hydroformed sheet-bronze. These accents will be supported by structural extrusion enclosures and cantilevers made from a brass-tinted alloy.

Traditionally, this type of highly detailed carving would be a massive project for stonemasons that could span decades. Instead, Gage plans to bring the idea of Gothic cathedral-style architectural accents into this century (and to keep the project timeline in check) by carving them using computer numerical control (CNC) machining and robotics.

“Boxes clad in steel and glass are so last century,” said Gage. “Computers and robotics are giving architects access to levels of complexity [that] we haven’t had in centuries.”

There aren’t any set plans for construction yet—the tower is a design commissioned by a local developer. However, as the project progresses from design toward realization, building information modeling (BIM) will have the chance to showcase its talents at project coordination.

Gage plans to introduce the popular design and construction process into the project in order to prevent crossed wires and miscommunications—especially with the volume of detail work required for the robot-machined art pieces.

http://www.techinsider.io/the-khalee...i-skyscraper-2

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 9, 2016 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 6:34 AM
Ex Houstonian

Although I would love to see ornamentation used again, this thing is just ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:12 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 7:54 PM

imagine the upkeep on this building whenever a piece of it chips off or gets stained

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:10 PM

No thanks.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 1:42 AM

The only place I can see this working in the U.S. is in downtown Vegas (where they allow taller buildings father from the airport near where the Stratosphere Tower is located.

Or maybe this would be a residence for The Predator?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 2:17 AM

looks like something that would be found buried underground in Egypt or Mexico.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 12:34 AM

I'm sure Trump loves it

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 4:15 AM
Charismatic Stallion

I've got to say - I'm pretty surprised at the reaction to this one. The fact that it was apparently commissioned with some kind of intent of being realized makes me tremendously excited. It's obviously incredibly gaudy and, were it to ever move forward even an inch toward actual development, the ornamentation would certainly be toned down one or ten notches, but that's what makes this tower such an exciting prospect!

The idea of such a heavily ornamented building, where the ornamentation is actually more than mere ornamentation, to the point where it even seems (see note 1) to constitute the actual structure of the building, is a fascinating hybrid, in my opinion of: 1. the ideas that underlie the structural engineering of buildings like the John Hancock Center and Minoru Yamasaki's WTC, in which the facade's most interesting visual elements are the structural supports; and 2. art deco sensibilities, in which strong lines and culturally powerful symbolism drive the aesthetic.

I simply love the boldness of this tower - it would be a marvel for the entire world - a truly puzzling piece which, I have no doubt, would quickly become among the most famous New York landmarks. Imagine the staid silhouettes of the New York skyline livened up by this playful, yet beautifully sinister parti. And then imagine standing beneath it, making out clearly the monolithic details, that would in other buildings be invisible, as you puzzle out this web of symbols - eagles, fans, gears - who knows?

This building is clearly meant to be strange and fascinating and I for one am willing to allow myself to be swept up in its gaudy excitement. Why? Because there would be nothing like it in the world - and no one would ever attempt to imitate it. And the final design, once it is refined and, hopefully, merely made more elegant, yet no less detailed or bold, would become the envy of all the cities in the world, even as it is maligned in its own time as too large, too strange, and too uncharacteristic of its city. Just as they said of the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, and nearly every beautiful monstrosity that dares to be absurd.

I made my first post in many years to express this thought - I'm surprised that a skyscraper forum was drawn in by something so massive and whimsical!

Note 1: I mean that the building would appear to be supported by its ornamentation, even though I'm quite sure that it would have no or nearly no actual structural relevance.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 11:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Turkish developer Sedesco adds to Billionaires’ Row assemblage with $80M buy

Quote:
Turkish developer Sedesco is putting together a Billionaires’ Row assemblage with the purchase of a development site for $80 million.

Sedesco closed last week on its purchase of the property at 41 West 57th Street from Florida-based seller Asuman Polat, property records filed with the city Tuesday show.

The purchase gives Midtown-based Sedesco about 100,000 square feet of buildable area on the block between Fifth and Sixth avenues. The company in 2012 paid $71.5 million to buy an adjacent property at 50 West 58th Street.

Neither Sedesco nor Polat could be immediately reached for comment.

The purchase now gives Sedesco full control of the property at 41 West 57th Street, which is a point of contention between Polat and billionaire real estate investor Kamran Hakim.

Polat triple net leased the property to Hakim in 1998 for a term of 40 years, expiring in 2028. In October of last year, Hakim transferred the lease to Sedesco for $27.9 million, property records show.

But in March, Polat filed a lawsuit in Manhattan State Supreme Court claiming Hakim defaulted on the lease in July 2016 by failing to pay more than $60,000 he owed to the landlord.

The case is still ongoing.

Renderings for an ornate, 102-story residential tower at the site appeared online in 2015, though they appear to be merely conceptual.
======================
TRD

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 9:40 PM
BANNED

This may be the article I was thinking of.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects