HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:11 PM

[Halifax] Young & Windsor | 24-18-5 fl | ? m | Proposed

The long awaited proposal for the corner of Young/Bayers and Windsor will be before Regional Council for initiation on Tuesday (February 24th, 2015). There are no finalized renderings available however there are massing models included in the staff report;

Case 19531 Initiation Report

The plan includes two residential buildings of 21 & 16 floors and a commercial building (5fl) to frame the rounded corner. There is below and above grade parking and a public plaza.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 11:48 PM
we built this city

Wow, thanks!

How long before the pitchforks and angry mobs come out... this certainly isn't human scale. Who's district is this in?

Expect the final "tower" to be 3 stories and made of wood.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 6:23 AM

Awesome! Bring. It. On!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 8:26 AM

Looks good. I like that the driveway/parking is concealed within the lot, similar to the Citadel Hotel redevelopment.

They could stand to go taller here though, considering that the site is so isolated from potential sources of NIMBYism. And the area needs a lot more density if that public plaza is to be anything more than a windswept dead zone.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 2:48 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The long awaited proposal for the corner of Young/Bayers and Windsor will be before Regional Council for initiation on Tuesday (February 24th, 2015). There are no finalized renderings available however there are massing models included in the staff report;

Case 19531 Initiation Report

The plan includes two residential buildings of 21 & 16 floors and a commercial building (5fl) to frame the rounded corner. There is below and above grade parking and a public plaza.

The massing models look promising. I uploaded one view to imageshack and pasted it below, from the link that you provided.

This a perspective view that would be from a point hovering above Winsor Street close to the Halifax Forum (looking North along Windsor Street)

(source: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0224ca1111.pdf)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Wow, thanks!

How long before the pitchforks and angry mobs come out... this certainly isn't human scale. Who's district is this in?

Expect the final "tower" to be 3 stories and made of wood.

It's in Watts' district. So she will rise up and demand that it be brought down to "human scale". Saw it off! Because IT'S TOO TALL!!!! The very fabric of the area will be ripped asunder if this proceeds at these dizzying heights! Didn't a tall building have something bad happen to it in Dubai recently? THAT COULD HAPPEN HERE!!! For the love of God and all that is holy, please stop the madness!!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 8:03 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's in Watts' district. So she will rise up and demand that it be brought down to "human scale". Saw it off! Because IT'S TOO TALL!!!! The very fabric of the area will be ripped asunder if this proceeds at these dizzying heights! Didn't a tall building have something bad happen to it in Dubai recently? THAT COULD HAPPEN HERE!!! For the love of God and all that is holy, please stop the madness!!!

Halifax isn't New York!!! The wind!!! The shadows!!!

And let's not forget...

Seriously though, this development needs to happen at this scale, its perfect for the area.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 8:05 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Looks good. I like that the driveway/parking is concealed within the lot, similar to the Citadel Hotel redevelopment.

They could stand to go taller here though, considering that the site is so isolated from potential sources of NIMBYism. And the area needs a lot more density if that public plaza is to be anything more than a windswept dead zone.
Don't be so sure its isolated from NIMBYs... see Keith's last post.

Also, there are houses within blocks from here, oh my!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 8:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

We'll see what happens I guess but I could see this going through pretty easily since there isn't much housing nearby.

I think the height is good too. There are many other lots in this area that could stand to be redeveloped. This part of town could use about a dozen more of these. That would be much better for the city than building yet another pod of suburban apartments around Bedford.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 5:18 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
We'll see what happens I guess but I could see this going through pretty easily since there isn't much housing nearby.

I think the height is good too. There are many other lots in this area that could stand to be redeveloped. This part of town could use about a dozen more of these. That would be much better for the city than building yet another pod of suburban apartments around Bedford.
The height is perfect for the location... the closest houses are a building or two inside each block and the rest is a wasteland.

The density combined with the other Young Street towers would bring this area to life.

That forum parking lot needs to go as well... should be developed with extra underground parking for the rink.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 5:39 PM

I like the massing of this, so far. I find the stacked volumes interesting: there's one "box" that spans a passageway below. Detailing and materiality will be important. I'm optimistic, but Halidevelopers aren't exactly known for beauty. Yet.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 5:45 PM

This is now an active proposal with a public meeting later this month. No renderings yet, just building drawings.

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...531Details.php

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 1:36 AM

I could of sworn I posted about the public information meeting when I first learned about it a month ago. I must be dreaming about this forum again ...

The P.I.M. for Case 19531 will be held October 21st, 2015 at the Halifax Forum.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 3:45 AM
Volatile Pacivist

This development seems quite exciting. I would reeeally love to see the Young strip become urban because right now it isn't really any nicer than a typical suburban commercial strip despite being in the middle of the peninsula.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:58 PM

The proposed traffic flow is a problem at such a busy intersection. The drawings show 1 entrance at Young and 2 exits at Young with one exit as a left turn across 2 lanes of traffic heading towards Windsor. The traffic flows were part of the problem with the previous gas station proposal. The development directly opposite on Young will of itself create greater traffic volume. Any suggestions ?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 4:53 PM

I'm not really sure how that would be resolved directly. Over the medium-term, I'm cautiously optimistic that the situation will handle itself to some degree in that by adding a lot of mixed-use development in this area (which is already happening, and will probably spread to the Kempt Rd area as soon as some infrastructural limitations have been addressed) more people can go about more of their day to day activities within/near this neighbourhood and so each person on average has to drive less and traffic "balances" out (or so the theory goes). Better AT/transit and particularly pedestrian amenities would probably help tip the balance. The main arterial roads in the area could also be re-jigged to improve traffic flow (particularly turning) as new developments shift the area's "focal points".

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I'm not really sure how that would be resolved directly. Over the medium-term, I'm cautiously optimistic that the situation will handle itself to some degree in that by adding a lot of mixed-use development in this area (which is already happening, and will probably spread to the Kempt Rd area as soon as some infrastructural limitations have been addressed) more people can go about more of their day to day activities within/near this neighbourhood and so each person on average has to drive less and traffic "balances" out (or so the theory goes). Better AT/transit and particularly pedestrian amenities would probably help tip the balance. The main arterial roads in the area could also be re-jigged to improve traffic flow (particularly turning) as new developments shift the area's "focal points".
This is a great point, and is one overlooked often when considering these sorts of developments.

As we move toward mixed-use residential, and move towards more walkable neighborhoods, traffic flows become less of a problem because people will walk.

When given a choice, people will always walk-- walk their kids, walk with their spouse, walk to the grocery store, to shop, walk to restaurants, movies, whatever.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 5:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Traffic flow and parking are often prime concerns brought up in public consultation sessions but when it comes to residential buildings on the peninsula the traffic studies usually reveal a lot less added traffic than people predict. Like, people will talk about how a new building will cause gridlock and the study will reveal that 5-7 cars an hour will come out of a parking garage entrance during rush hour. I remember this happening with the Fenwick redevelopment; people were doing back-of-the-envelope calculations assuming 1-2 cars per unit but the landlord pointed out that few people living in Fenwick own a car at all. Some of the new developments downtown, like 1488 Birmingham, have no car parking at all.

I think this is one of those behaviours split by demographic; the sort of people who show up to the consultations are the sort who drive a lot. They think people who buy the condos will be the same but they are not. People often seem to do a bad job of understanding these situations, so this is one of those times when forward-thinking urban planning based on real data (HRM by Design or the Centre Plan) is likely to be a lot more effective than community consultation (maybe we should call that "anxiety-driven" rather than "data-driven" planning).

It's also a bit counter-intuitive in that most of the car traffic on the peninsula is generated by people who don't live there. Because of the bridge this part of the peninsula even gets through traffic not destined for the peninsula. The current situation isn't at all caused by having too much density on the peninsula, and pushing people farther out might make it worse, even setting aside the idea of improvements for transit or active transportation that become possible at higher densities.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 6:16 PM

The Young-Bayers corridor is a problem for traffic flow especially for vehicles turning left onto or off of it. AT will hopefully take most of the burden off. Transit is currently good here but unfotunately with the new plan service will actually be reduced here especially for those heading downtown. Only the "28 - Bayers" and "4 - Lacewood" will stop here servicing SGR/Downtown and the Universities respectively. This is quite a bit less than the existing service level.

Monaghan Square across the street has the benefit of acessing Monaghan Drive which should be studied for a pedestrian half-signal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth