HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
posted by tourmaline

below: original 1947 glass negative for sale.

Postal Car attached to Pacific Electric Red Car [no location given]

eBay
__
Looks like Macy St. Yard, er.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:43 AM

Harper House Apartments in West Hollywood

Thank you Sherlock HossC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossc View Post
today's julius shulman post contains two views of the harper house apartments in west hollywood. It's "job 5528: Harper house apartments (west hollywood, calif.), 1978". I've omitted the single color image.

this is the courtyard of the building on the left.

both from getty research institute

i had a funny feeling that we'd visited the harper house apartments before - not surprising considering that one of the posts turned out to be mine! The brief discussion was started by martinturnbull when he posted a 'mystery location' picture of marguerite chapman standing outside. That picture, along with a bit more information and a link are all in my reply. I'm assuming that the name applies to both buildings.

gsv

here they are from above. The address is 1336 n harper avenue. That's opposite de longpre avenue.

google maps

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:44 AM

I don't know how I stumbled upon this, but I wonder where one could find it to view:

Columbia Pictures Screen Snapshots Series 19, No 6: Hollywood Recreations
Documentary Short | Released March 29, 1940 (USA)

Description: Hollywood stars are glimpsed at a Hollywood Stars baseball team game,
on the golf course, at a swimming exhibition, at Monkey Island and an amusement park.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293919/

Drools...

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Sorry if you've already considered this example of end-of-the-line trackage..

Looking west on Colorado Boulevard at Townsend, Eagle Rock, 1948

eBay via NLA e-r
Great sluthing, Michael, especially give the limitations of the NLA search engine.

Look closely at the photo and you can see marks in the pavement where the end of track has been over run!

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 6:48 AM

Found on youtube although I'm sure someone found this long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbnxEiiDXc

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santamonicadesign View Post
Found on youtube although I'm sure someone found this long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbnxEiiDXc

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=24635

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 8:04 PM

I'm still looking for more Julius Shulman pictures of N Harper Avenue, but in the meantime I found a couple of photosets showing places on Havenhurst Drive, which is the next street over. This one is "Job 5523: Arthur and Nina Zwebell, The Andalusia (West Hollywood, Calif.), 1978".

This picture was taken from the ramp leading to the parking lot of Lytton Savings and Loan that we discussed recently.

Three more views of the front from different angles.

I can't see this pool on Google Maps, and it's not clear where it was on the historic views either. My guess would be that it was at the rear of the property.

Now the interior photos. I'm impressed by the size of the owner's organ .

Here's a reverse view of the picture above.

Sadly, none of the color images (I posted all of them) show this fountain in the courtyard, so you'll have to make do with black & white. I've omitted the other black & white photo which shows the fountain from another angle.

All from Getty Research Institute

Other than the signs and the trees, I don't think the apartments have changed in 38 years.

GSV

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Julius Shulman did photograph the Villa Primavera, but this is the only picture that the Getty Research Institute has. Maybe there's more on another site. The description says "Photographs taken for the book Courtyard Housing in Los Angeles, in collaboration with University of Southern California faculty Stephanos Polyzoides." I believe Beaudry has a copy - it's on pages 66-69.

"Job 5526: Arthur and Nina Zwebell, Villa Primavera (West Hollywood, Calif.), 1978".

Getty Research Institute

A quick search didn't yield any other Shulman photographs of Harper Avenue, but maybe there are some that don't have their address in the description. I'll keep an eye out.
I found a couple photos, not attributed to a photographer in particular, on the Historic Hollywood Photos site. They are dated 1928:

The place was built in 1923. What do you suppose the tall slim antenna on the right is for? Did people have radio antennas back then?

This photo shows part of the courtyard. Looks like there's an outdoor fireplace.

A Wikimapia site page has this place listed as the Mexican Village Apartments.

This site [I Am No Stalker]has some more recent photos and some screen grabs of IN A LONELY PLACE.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:07 PM

I've been following this thread for quite a while now and I am fascinated by the older views of LA and especially why and how it grew from almost nothing to the huge place it has become in such a short period of time. One thing that perplexes though is viewing posts of scenes like that in post number 35201. Time and again I see huge volumes of terrain being carved out of the landscape. So, I have a couple of questions for Angelinos:
1) why was this done? (it's got to be more than just flattening the place for the hell of it).
2) where did all that dirt get moved to?
3) can I assume that LA is much more level now that it was say in 1901.

Also, one last query. Can someone tell me the population at each decade of the last (20th) century. Am I correct in believing that it grew the fastest (meaning the greatest population increase) during the fifties?

Thanx

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

Sunny day in LA...probably mid August. Parking lot full of boiling hot cars. Sad old apartment building sitting all alone on a sandy hill...waiting for its last day. Street car...slowly makes its way across town.

LAPL posted by Tourmaline and ER.
I can answer your first question, asher11. The image above was taken near the south portal of the Broadway Tunnel as it was being demolished. The street on the right is California Street. Here's a view looking at the same location from the opposite angle.

www.pacificelectric.org/Jack Finn Collection

California Street and part of Fort Moore Hill were leveled to make way for the 101 Freeway. The view below on the left shows the area in 1948 (probably about a year before the images above). The entrance to the tunnel can just be made out in the center. The view on the right shows the same area in 1952.

Historic Aerials

As for your other questions, we have discussed where the dirt went, but I can't remember what was decided. Areas such as Bunker Hill are certainly flatter than they were 100 years ago. I'll try to dig up up some comparison pictures.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 11:02 PM

Yop Los Angeles shopping in the Los Angeles City Guide of 1950

This is a list of top Los Angeles shopping in the Los Angeles City Guide of 1950. Interesting that Adrian made a list comprised largely of department stores. The only one I don't know is Bond's, on the same Hollywood-and-Ivar corner as Nancy's, which has been highlighted on these pages. Does anyone here remember Bond's? What sort of store was it? What did they sell?

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
This is a list of top Los Angeles shopping in the Los Angeles City Guide of 1950. Interesting that Adrian made a list comprised largely of department stores. The only one I don't know is Bond's, on the same Hollywood-and-Ivar corner as Nancy's, which has been highlighted on these pages. Does anyone here remember Bond's? What sort of store was it? What did they sell?

Bond's--I remember it well--was predominantly men's (and boy's) clothing. Here's a pastiche I put together from a (big!) Bond's ad in the November 17, 1950, Los Angeles Times:

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 1:21 AM

Bond's

Thanks, odinthor - and that no "idle horn-tooting"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Bond's--I remember it well--was predominantly men's (and boy's) clothing. Here's a pastiche I put together from a (big!) Bond's ad in the November 17, 1950, Los Angeles Times:

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Searched the thread and couldn't find anything about this newspaper headline I stumbled upon on the internet. Anyone have other info?

rarenewspapers.com/
The Coastal Defense Command at Tarzana Ranch actually fired at a Japanese Reconnaissance Float Plane as it flew over Reseda Park. Ralph J. Herman, Sr., of Herman Properties, who still owns the majority of the 550 acres of the ranch, has lectured on the incident and was a witness. The Ranch was once owned by Tarzan creator, Edgar Rice Burroughs. One of the original air raid sirens, erected in 1941, still stands on Clark Street, half a block from Reseda Boulevard.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 1:55 PM

Estate Sale

About a month ago I went to an estate sale in Redondo Beach. I was looking for tools and came across this. It seems the owner owned an Antique store in Lomita (I think the last name was Henderson, Anderson, or something) and i thought they got this through that, but i later found out that he was a retired paper operator for the Herald. This was on the wall of the den proudly displayed.

The year is 1950

Heres the back

Hope you enjoy.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 7:34 PM

Today's Julius Shulman post shows another Arthur and Nina Zwebell design. The Ronda Apartments are a stone's throw from The Andalusia on the opposite side of Havenhurst Drive. This is "Job 5524: Arthur and Nina Zwebell, The Ronda (West Hollywood, Calif.), 1978".

All from Getty Research Institute

There are only three photos in the set, and none of them shows the exterior. Seeing as The Ronda is a National Historic Site, I'm guessing that it hasn't changed much.

GSV

We've visited The Ronda before:

Graybeard mentioned it in post #31084. The follow-up by tovangar2 also mentions The Andalusia and Villa Primavera, and has more information and links. Finally, e_r posted a couple of pictures of The Andalusia in post #31096. The post says that the organ belonged to the Zwebells, so it must be their apartment in the pictures I posted yesterday. It also has a floor plan which confirms my guess that the pool was (is?) at the rear.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 8:43 PM

"Look closely at the photo and you can see marks in the pavement where the end of track has been over run!" -Wig Wag

detail

Why not use one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-195...wAAOSwMN9XQkVo

P.E. Automatic Stopper, Subway Tunnel, 9 / 30 / 1950

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 9:23 PM

P.E., showing freight yard.

" Pacific Electric Freight station, 7th and Alameda, 2 / 1947" [original negative]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-1947-2-...3D231952462171

detail

A. Levy & J. Ze _ _ _ _ er Co.

This is near the location of the color photograph I posted a few days ago.

HossC's aerial here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=35190

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 28, 2016 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 9:40 PM

Thanks for the info HossC

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 9:48 PM

A nice looking lady about to board streetcar #5026, somewhere in Glendale. August 16, 1952.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-1952-2-...3D231952463140

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos