HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:18 PM
Volatile Pacivist

???

When they posted it in the other thread titled Dartmouth bridge I assumed it was made by a company named Dartmouth or on a street named Dartmouth or something. Since when do we produce bridges?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 6:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
???

When they posted it in the other thread titled Dartmouth bridge I assumed it was made by a company named Dartmouth or on a street named Dartmouth or something. Since when do we produce bridges?
I was also confused by that. I though there must be a new development on the Toronto waterfront called Dartmouth.

That Canada forum is a wild and wooly place!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
???

Cherubini have been making Bridge components for the New York City area since shortly after 9/11.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 11:20 PM

Cherubini is one of those local companies that really slips under the radar. They have done huge projects in Canada and US. The ones in the US northeast are particularly impressive because of the local competition. Cherubini Group also has many other companies locally.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 11:46 AM

Imagine how much better something like this would have looked as the footbridge at the Micmac parclo instead of the thing that looks like a crane holding up a piece of decking.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Imagine how much better something like this would have looked as the footbridge at the Micmac parclo instead of the thing that looks like a crane holding up a piece of decking.
I'm afraid then you'll be disappointed to know that a sister bridge to the Lake Micmac structure is now in place on the Lake William Trail in Waverley. The official opening was set for this afternoon but has been rescheduled to 20 October. With this bridge, I think something like 700 metres of trail remains to be completed to join the Lake William Trail to the Lake Charles and Shubenacadie Canal trail systems. The bridge incorporates decking retired from the Macdonald Bridge Big Lift. It was built by the Shubenacadie Watershed Environmental Protection Society (SWEPS) with CN's permission over its Dartmouth subdivision tracks. That's a pretty impressive active transportation corridor from Rocky Lake Drive in Waverley to Halifax Harbour.

Source: AllTrails

Last edited by ns_kid; Sep 28, 2020 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:29 PM
Just 183 km north of...

IIRC, according to the NS Drivers Handbook, if you're in the left hand lane on one side of an intersection you should aim for the left hand lane on the other side of the intersection and avoid changing lanes within the intersection. This morning I traveled north on Robie through the willow tree intersection and found myself to be the only vehicle not to change lanes within the intersection...out of approximately ten vehicles. As I approached the intersection at Cunard I discovered why. I was in a left turn only lane. Maybe I missed new signage? There's certainly lots to look at at the willow tree intersection with building going up and building coming down and one has to dodge the beggars. Anyway, if the left hand lane between the two aforementioned intersections is to be a left hand turn lane, then IMHO, an island or other obstruction should be placed at the willow tree intersection so that the current centre lane in that stretch would become the most left hand thru lane at the willow tree intersection thus having traffic not need to lane change within the intersection to maintain their status as thru traffic northbound on Robie.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:03 PM

HRM has no clue what they are doing these days with choking off streets. It is getting ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 5:54 PM

New project on Portland St on the edge of Dartmouth Cove from Zzap Consulting Inc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFz5mkMn73B/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
New project on Portland St on the edge of Dartmouth Cove from Zzap Consulting Inc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFz5mkMn73B/
A Dan Chedrawe project

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting. Will this replace the Moffatt Pharmacy? Or it's next door?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 11:39 AM

I looks to me that it is occupying the space that the existing building sits on along with the parking lot out back.

The rendering also looks like they are importing several dozen people since I have never seen that many pedestrians in that area before.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:22 PM

2165 Gottingen - I was going to post a photo of this project since it is almost now complete and the masonry work on the ground floor looks nice but Tumblr won't let me upload photos right now. The signage indicates Dime Salon Inc will be the ground floor tenant.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 12:40 AM
hi

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:03 AM

Very interesting! It seems like a proper supermarket. It should be a great boon to the growing residential population in the downtown proper, especially those who don't own cars.

Their business should really pick up once the Roy and the Green Lantern/Zeller's developments are fully occupied (and perhaps eventually the mythical Texpark redevelopment). I can imagine a lot of tourists popping in here too once the pandemic subsides.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:30 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Yum! Happy to see something beyond your typical weekend market.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 11:55 AM
Closed account

This is a great location and exactly what I would have wanted when I lived on Bishop. The slog to Superstore is pretty long from downtown, so it's great to have something so close. Also good to see ground-level commercial that isn't just another restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 6:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
This is a great location and exactly what I would have wanted when I lived on Bishop. The slog to Superstore is pretty long from downtown, so it's great to have something so close. Also good to see ground-level commercial that isn't just another restaurant.
I think we are only really seeing the beginning of the transformation of businesses in this area, because there has been so much residential construction and there is such a lag to fully occupy buildings.

The Maple has, what, something like 250-300 units? That must amount to a significant percentage of all the people living in the old/lower downtown area, which if I recall correctly was only in the 3,000 range in recent census periods. And there is room for more units with the United Gulf site and Ralston.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 7:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Corner of Gottingen and Cunard. I guess this is the building that will be redeveloped.

Source

It could be an impressive corner. Hopefully the design is nice. Too bad about that odd modern house that got built to the left. It would have been better to have the mixed use buildings run across the block then step down to the 3 storey apartment building across the street.

The intersection and street could use some municipal infrastructure TLC too.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 11:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

The intersection and street could use some municipal infrastructure TLC too.
As it is, it feels like it has very long crossing distances.

I think the stretch from the interchange up to Gottingen is covered in the Cogswell project. I imagine at least some AT infrastructure going up and tying Cogswell into the existing AT infrastructure around the Commons, the Rainnie bikeway, and Maynard/Creighton bike-friendly streets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth