HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 11:10 PM

Last days are here for old stadium.

Last edited by Renton; Sep 19, 2008 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hello

How can this bartender be working at two places at once. Is he a clone?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:31 AM
New Yorker for life

I think the new stadium looks just fine. The reality is that we're living in today's world. Most new stadiums are built with these types of amenities. The Yankees deserve to make money just like everyone else. It is a business. And at least we don't get some corporate name for the stadium. It's still Yankee Stadiuim. Not too many can say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
How can this bartender be working at two places at once. Is he a clone?
Twins.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
I miss the old days of sitting in the bleachers and pounding down a few brews and going crazy.
Maybe if people didn't go "crazy" then they wouldn't have banned it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 4:41 PM

Not that bad.

Trust me, the fans weren't that bad. I've seen 10 times worse fan action at Jets and Giant games. The worse fans i saw at a sporting event was when i saw the Yanks down in Philly a few years back. I had a dozen beers thrown my way and i didn't say a thing. I could only imagine a Giants fan there. As for the bleachers, the fans overall were allot worse back in the 70's. I remember everything from fans being tossed on the field. I saw someone heave one of those hand dryer machines out there. You never see that anymore.

Last edited by Renton; Mar 29, 2008 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
New Yorker for life

From mmalette1

From Adelaide 35

Shots of the current castle from 94 Aug

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:41 AM
Todo para la familia

Great pics. The new Yankee Stadium looks alot lower than the original one. Hopefully that means the decks are at a lower slant which won't make you feel like you're in the nosebleeds in the upper deck. Let's face it, with the original yankee stadium and shea as well, you had to be part mountain goat to climb the steps on the upper deck. I LIKE IT ALOT!!!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 6:27 PM
c h i c a g o

I've only been to Yankee stadium a hand full of times but doesnt like the inside if the stadium (stands, bleacher, the architecture) look a lot like the current one? Obviously i'm not including any of the concourse / suites.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
Great pics. The new Yankee Stadium looks alot lower than the original one. Hopefully that means the decks are at a lower slant which won't make you feel like you're in the nosebleeds in the upper deck. Let's face it, with the original yankee stadium and shea as well, you had to be part mountain goat to climb the steps on the upper deck. I LIKE IT ALOT!!!

Loco I think the place looks smaller up top because the new Stadium was deisgned to put more seats in the the lower deck, and have less seats in the upper deck. I think the stadium officials realized that having so many people upstairs was hazardous. And secondly they also realize they can charge more for seats downstairs than upstairs, so in turn why not put more lower deck seating in where they can charge 65 dollars a pop rather than 35 a pop.

Nevertheless.. It looks like its going to be really nice.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 8:24 PM
Funkytown's finest

Love the facade. Baseball ALWAYS has the best looking stadiums.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 4:07 AM

very nice. me like alot, stay away corporate names, keep Yankee Stadium

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 9:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat24inNJ View Post
Loco I think the place looks smaller up top because the new Stadium was deisgned to put more seats in the the lower deck, and have less seats in the upper deck.
Right. There's a diagram the illustrates that. I'll try to find and post it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 9:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2109 View Post
very nice. me like alot, stay away corporate names, keep Yankee Stadium

Exactly. This is just classic...

In a sense, it's like Madison Square Garden. There's talk of building a fifth version of the Garden, but the name stays the same. There's only one MSG. And only one Yankee Stadium, even if they are moved accross the street. (Or even uptown in the case of MSG moving to 50th in an earlier incarnation).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:59 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04112008...ees_106016.htm

HIGH'JINX' HITS YANKEES
CREW SABOTEUR BURIED RED SOX GEAR UNDER NEW STADIUM

By JOHN DOYLE, CHUCK BENNETT and JEREMY OLSHAN
April 11, 2008

The new Yankee Stadium may be cursed!

A devilish Boston fan working on a concrete crew at the $1.3 billion stadium covertly buried a Red Sox T-shirt under what will become the visiting team's locker room to jinx the Yanks, two construction workers told The Post yesterday.

"In August, a Red Sox T-shirt was poured in a slab in the visitor's clubhouse. It's the curse of the Yankees," one worker said. "Nobody knows about it. It's in the floors, it's buried."

The workers say they now fear that they unwittingly helped hex their beloved Bronx Bombers.

"I don't want to be responsible for sinking the franchise," said a second worker, who witnessed the sabotage. "I respect the stadium."

The Post has withheld their identities because they are not authorized to speak to media.

This latest hex is above and beyond any typical ritual - like wearing a lucky shirt or hat - that fans typically do to boost their luck.

"It sounds a little unprecedented to me," said Tim Wiles, director of research at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown.

"I guess if the Yankees go 86 years in the new ballpark without a win we'll know if we are on to something," he said, referring to Boston's previous infamous losing streak after they sold Babe Ruth.

"If I was a Yankees fan, that is my house. I don't want a Red Sox [T-shirt] under my house," he added.

Chris Wertz, co-owner of the Red Sox bar Professor Thom's in the East Village, laughed at the ingenuity of the worker.

"I won't be surprised in the least bit to see that visiting locker room torn up and relaid right away," he said. "This what makes the game special for baseball fans. It's not a mean thing, but something they will take seriously."

Red Sox fans, he said, will see the buried garment as a good-luck charm, especially after years of seeing the retired numbers of four legendary players displayed in Fenway Park.

It has long displayed "9" for Ted Williams, "4" for Joe Cronin, "1" for Bobby Doerr and "8" for Carl Yastrzemski - which comes out to 9-4-18, the day before the World Series that resulted in the last Red Sox championship until 2004.

Baseball historians said these kinds of superstitions are not something to be scoffed at.

"Curses start off very easily. It's all the power of suggestion and they take on a life of their own," said Dan Gordon, co-author of the 2007 book "Haunted Baseball."

"Even the 'Curse of the Bambino' didn't really take off until the 1980s. Before then it was just hard luck," he said.

Mickey Bradley, co-author of "Haunted Baseball," said a worker is said to have buried an unknown good-luck charm in a water main trench of the current Yankee Stadium back in 1920.

"Prior to that, they never they won a World Series," he said.

Players can also bring curses to their teams.

"Look at the curse of A-Rod. The Yankees haven't won since [Alex Rodriguez] came to their game. There's probably more to that than a T-shirt," said Peter Nash, author of "Boston's Royal Rooters," a history of Red Sox fans.

"This just takes the rivalry to whole new level. If you look at 2004, the Yankees were up three games. If Boston lost that, seriously, the whole franchise would have been decimated," said Nash, who performed with the rap duo Third Bass before writing about baseball.

"I think there is a curse in effect already. Maybe the Red Sox T-shirt is like the icing on the cake, a nice little F-you from Boston," he said.

The year 2004, of course, was the year the Red Sox broke their own curse and won the World Series after beating the Yankees in the playoffs.

Still, stadiums have long had their own curses.

One of them is the 1945 "Billy Goat" curse at Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago cubs.

Legend has it that William Sianis placed a curse on the team after stadium staff refused to let him enter with his pet goat. The team hasn't played in the World Series since 1945.

Superstition in stadiums can also cut the other way and help a team.

The Texas Rangers languished in their old stadium from 1972 to 1993, until they moved into a new ballpark the following year. Since then, the team won three division titles. More recently, the Tampa Rays may be cursed by their own new stadium, which was partially built over a cemetery.

Over the past decade, the team had the worst record in all of Major League Baseball four times and finished last place in their division nine times.

As for the buried emblem of hated Boston, the Yankees say they aren't the least bit worried.

"It sounds like a tall tale, and it would take more than a Red Sox T-shirt to put a curse on the Yankees," said team spokesman Howard Rubenstein.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 4:18 PM
Todo para la familia

Really???? A TShirt????? WTF Boston fans...I thought you f*ckers had more creativity than that. It's a $209 million payroll you're trying to curse. Cut the bullshyt.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 5:00 PM

^It's worked pretty well that last few seasons. :-P

Even though I don't like the Yankees, I love New York and the current and new Yankee Stadiums both look great.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 9:43 AM
Everywhere all at once

Go home, Mr. OBrien.

Cruel......just cruel.

WTF? You already got over the Curse of the Bambino, now you're just being mean.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsConanOBrien View Post
^It's worked pretty well that last few seasons.
The T-shirt stunt had no effects on and nothing to do with the last few seasons because the stadium is still underconstruction. Duh.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:24 AM
New Yorker for life

BTW, that shirt was removed over the weekend...
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04142008...ion_106446.htm

A YANKEE 'HEX'CAVATION
NEW STADIUM DE'SOX'IFIED IN JERSEY DIG

GET THE 'RED' OUT! Yankee President Randy Levine, with the team's chief operating officer, Lonn Trost, addresses the media yesterday moments before hardhats pulled out the Sox jersey.

__

DIRTY 'UNDER'WEAR: Frank Gramarossa, one of two hero hardhats who led Yankee brass to the site, yesterday shows the mucked-up Red Sox jersey that had been buried by a colleague.

By C.J. SULLIVAN, JOE MOLLICA and ERIC LENKOWITZ
April 14, 2008

The Yankees officially reversed the jersey curse yesterday - extracting from the new stadium's concrete a David Ortiz shirt planted by a Red Sox-obsessed hardhat hoping to hex his team's arch rivals.

Then they warned the traitorous construction worker, Gino Castignoli, to watch his back, saying criminal and civil charges could be on deck.

"I spoke with a [prosecutor]. There may be criminal issues," Yankee Chief Operating Officer Lonn Trost said.

Trost speculated that Castignoli could be on the hook for criminal mischief.

A spokesman for the Bronx district attorney said, "We can't speculate" on possible charges.

Trost said that even if Castignoli ends up safe from charges, "we're thinking of a civil case, looking for money damages."

Yesterday's excavation alone cost the team $50,000, Trost said, even though the actual digging took two workers just 15 minutes.

The jersey was partially unearthed Saturday after five hours of digging at the site near a planned restaurant behind home plate.

It had been buried two feet beneath the surface.

The recovery did double duty - not only taking the hex off the Yankees, but also putting one on Ortiz. The Red Sox kept the slumping slugger out of the starting lineup for last night's game against the Bombers, saying he was taking a "mental day off."

Yankee President Randy Levine yesterday proudly held up the tattered shirt, which he said would be donated to Boston's Jimmy Fund for auction to raise money for cancer treatment and research.

"We turned this dastardly act into a positive one," Levine said. He lavished praise upon The Post for bringing it to the team's attention.

"We want to thank The Post for raising this issue," Levine said. "Two heroic construction workers gave us a tip where the shirt was, and we acted immediately."

One of those workers, Frank Gramarossa, who led the removal, said: "I'm glad we got it out. I was angry and upset and wanted to find the jersey."

Castignoli, a self-professed Yankee hater, yesterday said he had spent just one day on the site, working strictly to plant the jersey. "A lot of my friends work there, and they said it was easy work," he said outside his Bronx home. "I told them I wouldn't work there, but then one day a few months later, I said, 'I could just go and jinx that stadium.' "

Castignoli said workers at the site long knew of his devilish doings.

"Anybody with half a brain knows it was all done in fun," he said.

"I didn't hurt nobody."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132008...hex_106315.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive