HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 11:05 AM

the new stadium looks like the current stadium. why not just re-renovate the current stadium since it pretty much looks like the same stadium anyway.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
I love the throwback to golden days of baseball with the architecture.
A lot of people don't like that trend with the new stadiums, but I think it adds to the unique baseball stadium quality and atmosphere.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A lot of people don't like that trend with the new stadiums, but I think it adds to the unique baseball stadium quality and atmosphere.
my objection to retro stadiums is that they miss the point: they are trying to re-create a quaint aesthetic from a bygone era, but when those stadiums were originally built (wrigley, fenway, the original yankee stadium, connie mack stadium, etc), they were the most advanced, modern stadiums ever built. in those days, baseball was foreward thinking and contemporary. steel and concrete were new, modern materials. THAT is what should be continued, the trend toward innovation and progress. the only real innovation we have now are retractable domes. those are significant, but are not necessary everywhere. just recreating the look of older stadiums that we now think of as quaint is a step backward, and are hypocritical in that they do provide a lot of creature comforts that the older stadiums lacked, but still go for the look of old. they admit privately that we like modernity, but put a retro public face on it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
my objection to retro stadiums is that they miss the point: they are trying to re-create a quaint aesthetic from a bygone era, but when those stadiums were originally built (wrigley, fenway, the original yankee stadium, connie mack stadium, etc), they were the most advanced, modern stadiums ever built. in those days, baseball was foreward thinking and contemporary. steel and concrete were new, modern materials. THAT is what should be continued, the trend toward innovation and progress. the only real innovation we have now are retractable domes. those are significant, but are not necessary everywhere. just recreating the look of older stadiums that we now think of as quaint is a step backward, and are hypocritical in that they do provide a lot of creature comforts that the older stadiums lacked, but still go for the look of old. they admit privately that we like modernity, but put a retro public face on it.
Are you saying these newer stadiums aren't better equipped for the public than the older stadiums? The new stadiums give you more room, more amenities, more restrooms, generally better views of the field itself, I have no problem with that at all. Let the baseball stadiums look like baseball stadiums.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you saying these newer stadiums aren't better equipped for the public than the older stadiums? The new stadiums give you more room, more amenities, more restrooms, generally better views of the field itself, I have no problem with that at all. Let the baseball stadiums look like baseball stadiums.
no: in fact, I addressed that at the end of my post. what I said was that they provide more creature comforts than the old stadiums did, but are made superficially to look like they are old. if you're going to be retro, be real retro; make the seats out of wood, make the aisles narrow, make guys pee into a trough, put steel columns in lines of sight. in philadelphia, our new ballpark has brick panels cladding the exterior, because connie mack stadium and others from that era had brick exteriors. they use a modern process of prefabrication to emulate an old tradition. why not use a modern process like prefab, which I am in favor of, but use a more contemporary material, like glass, like the new football stadium does right across the street from the baseball park?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 12:30 AM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
the new stadium looks like the current stadium. why not just re-renovate the current stadium since it pretty much looks like the same stadium anyway.
Steinbrenner already "renovated the stadium" in the 70's....which pretty much meant he had the thing rebuilt. The stadium in all it's glory stinks too bad and is falling apart....there's only so many times you can renovate. Besides....they are gonna do much more to improve the area other than the new stadium.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 11:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 6:15 PM

Good update

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:36 PM

Quote:

I think it is AWESOME that they are trying to maintain the history of the park, that is really cool.

Otherwise you end up with Parks like the ones in Pittsburgh, or Detroit, or the Reds park.

I hope if/when the Redsox get a new stadium they do the same thing.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:47 PM

Just saw this thread. The new stadium looks like its going to be awesome! I thiught that i had heard that the were keeping old Yankee stadium. If its coming down soon I'll have to get up there to see a game. I live in Philly and as nice as the Phillies new park is, I still miss the Vet with all its flaws. I wish they kept it for concerts and other events but now it is just a nice parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphinest View Post
Just saw this thread. The new stadium looks like its going to be awesome! I thiught that i had heard that the were keeping old Yankee stadium. If its coming down soon I'll have to get up there to see a game. I live in Philly and as nice as the Phillies new park is, I still miss the Vet with all its flaws. I wish they kept it for concerts and other events but now it is just a nice parking lot.
Thats what I mean...its like dome syndrome all over again.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 8:17 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/01/sp...pagewanted=all

Latest Developments in a Crosstown Rivalry

Jeff Wilpon, the Mets’ chief operating officer, giving a tour of the Citi Field construction site last month.

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
May 1, 2007

Home plate at Citi Field in Flushing is marked by a patch of Astroturf. In the Bronx, an outcropping of New York schist was leveled by chisel hammers attached to earth movers to clear the land for the future home plate at the new Yankee Stadium.

The pitcher’s mound in the Bronx will be where a yellow Dumpster rests, while a steel span in Flushing that emulates the Hell Gate bridge over the East River will soon support the concourse in right-center field.

The Mets and the Yankees are racing to open their new stadiums by opening day 2009. Those passing the construction sites — huge rocky pits that are filled with cranes, earth movers, steel, giant pieces of precast concrete — see the concrete frame of one stadium rising in the Bronx over former parkland and another one of steel ascending over parking spaces beside Shea Stadium.

“This place is so big, so wide open now, but when it’s filled with grass and seats, it will envelop you,” said Jeff Wilpon, the chief operating officer of the Mets, as he walked through the Citi Field site during a recent tour.

Behind him, Shea remains, a vestige of an unadventurous period in sports architecture. “A dull, dingy place,” Wilpon said.

In his office, Wilpon keeps a miniature replica of Ebbets Field, a daily reminder of the architectural muse of Citi Field. It includes the rotunda through which Brooklyn Dodgers fans, including his father, Fred, the Mets’ principal owner, used to enter. He removed the tiny rotunda piece from the rest of the model and said, “Fred can tell us how it used to smell in there.”

A reimagined rotunda, which will be named for Jackie Robinson, is also beginning to take shape; so is the footprint of the Great Hall, a meeting place, among other things, through which many of the fans visiting the new Yankee Stadium will enter. It will stand 60 feet high and span left field to right field, along 161st Street, from Jerome Avenue to River Avenue.

“It will be unparalleled, similar in scope to the Grand Central Station waiting room,” said Valerie Peltier, a managing director for development of Tishman Speyer, on a tour of the Yankee Stadium site last week.
Tishman Speyer is overseeing construction of the $800 million stadium. Jerry Speyer, the company’s president, is on the board of Yankee Global Enterprises.

Executives from each team said that they were not competing with each other over who would have the better ballpark. It is almost enough that the deals were made, with city and state contributions for infrastructure and other nonconstruction costs, to let the teams build new ballparks. Since 1991, 18 new major league stadiums have been built.

“After nothing happening for 15 or 20 years, it’s all happening here in the same time period,” said Dave Howard, an executive vice president of the Mets. Beside the ballparks, the Devils’ arena in Newark is nearly done, the Jets and the Giants are planning construction of their shared Meadowlands stadium, and the Nets hope to start building their arena in Brooklyn soon.

The first level of the steel structure in Flushing is nearly in place, with yellow caution tape flapping in the wind, affording a raw view of a design fiat: fans will be able to see the field nearly anywhere they walk along the 40-foot-wide concourses, except from behind the Sterling luxury boxes that are 18 rows from field level, a club on the Promenade level and a restaurant in left field.

“In the old stadiums, nobody thought about that,” Wilpon said.

Three levels of concrete structure are in various stages of completion at the new Yankee Stadium, more along right field than left. Rakers, 40-foot pieces of steel onto which the seats will be installed, will be arriving next week. A crane to handle the steel is being assembled.

The construction already obscures a portion of the rusted elevated train tracks and takes place around a New York City Transit substation that will eventually be blocked by the giant outfield scoreboard.

Nascent dugouts are visible in little excavations several feet below field level across a rocky landscape from which 350 cubic yards of dirt were removed before construction began. The future site of Monument Park is below a platform that supports several office trailers.

“The most interesting thing to me,” said Lonn Trost, the chief operating officer of the Yankees, looking over the site, “is to take the tradition of Yankee Stadium, replicate it here, and provide fans with something new.”

The new stadium will have the same field dimensions as the current one, with more seats angled to the infield. It will also resurrect the original exterior with limestone, concrete and granite, and recreate the frieze that ringed the stadium, with 39 sections of white-painted steel weighing six tons each, to be made in Quebec.
The new frieze should not turn green in the air, as did the old copper one, which was removed in the 1974-5 stadium renovation.

Some of the 24,000 pieces of precast concrete that will comprise the Citi Field exterior are already in Flushing, some weighing 1,000 pounds. The front of each piece is covered with bricks, which are sliced lengthwise to reduce the weight yet create the impression of a brick facade. It is so different in architectural ambition and style from the original Shea design of blue and orange tiles arranged over exposed ramps.

“By the end of this season, most of the exterior facade will be in place,” Howard said. “It will look like the virtual model we have online.”

Shea still serves a purpose, beyond housing the Mets for two more seasons, and it is not simply to underscore the limits of the dual-purpose stadiums. Inside an unused section of the World’s Fair-era hulk, the Mets have built a showroom that depicts what the 10 Sterling and 40 Excelsior luxury suites will look like (the former will have bathrooms modeled on the Four Seasons restaurant’s). Various types of seats can be tested for comfort.

The team is also using the showroom to assess carpeting, tile, color and other design schemes — Jeff Wilpon, who grew up in the family’s real estate development business, can offer a spiel about terrazzo floors — for the suites, clubhouses and concourses. The concourses may have glazed wall tile.

“I want to know what we’ve designed before we sell it,” Wilpon said.

The $600 million stadium will reflect its era, as its predecessor did. Shea’s opening was envisioned for 1962, the Mets’ inaugural season, but after delays, it took about two more years to complete. The original Yankee Stadium took an astonishingly quick 284 days to finish in time, providing the team with a home of its own after being told to leave the Polo Grounds.

“How often do you get to build Yankee Stadium?” Peltier said. “Never.”

Well, almost.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:25 AM
drifting away

i love how the stadium looks on the outside. it really looks like the old pictures of the stadium in the 20's and 30's, except in color. i hope they put more room for concessions in the mezzanines.

i hate that stupid restaurant beyond centerfield. it seems very cheesy.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 5:18 PM

^^^

i agree about the restaurant.. I need to get to a game and take some photos of the new stadium.. i cant find pics anywhere.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 11:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Pics from stadiumpage.com
(May 22, 2007)

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 10:27 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07212007...reau_chief.htm

YANKS & BRONX ON RIGHT TRACK: POLS

By DAVID SEIFMAN
July 21, 2007

The official groundbreaking for a $91 million Metro-North station at Yankee Stadium provided officials yesterday with the chance to declare that The Bronx is on the permanent comeback track.

Gov. Spitzer noted that ESPN is airing a TV series based on the 1977 Yankees, who won the World Series during a tumultuous era in both the team's and the city's history, titled, "The Bronx is Burning."

"Everything that was going wrong 30 years ago is going right in this great city today," said Spitzer.

"Instead of 'The Bronx is Burning,' we're going to call ESPN and say they should do a sequel, and it's going to be called 'The Bronx is Booming.' "

The new station is scheduled to open in June 2009, two months after the new Yankee Stadium now under construction is scheduled for completion.

The MTA is picking up $51.2 million of the cost, while the city is chipping in $38.6 million. The city is also spending another $59 million to rebuild a pedestrian bridge.

"That will mean every major stadium and arena in New York City will be accessible by both subway and commuter railroad," said Mayor Bloomberg,
who used the occasion to make another pitch for his congestion-pricing plan.

The station is expected to accommodate 6,000 to 12,000 fans each game, according to Spitzer.

nymag.com

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 10:34 AM
New Yorker for life

mta.info

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 1:08 AM
B-MORE than u strive for!

the bronx is getting a really nice-lookin' stadium. kudos!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 1:57 AM
World Machine

Is the old stadium being demolished??????????

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 2:00 AM
Todo para la familia

NOT quite demolished....although it will be converted into a minor league stadium. It will keep the same dimensions but the upper decks and the out field facade will be torn down. They want to keep the out field open so that they may be able to see the new stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive