HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
Well it's finally about to happen. All of the Amtrak related projects between Portland and Seattle are basically done and by this fall, the trip will be reduced by 10 minutes to a reasonable 3hr 20mn trip time AND there will be two new daily round trip trains added. Great news for those who can benefit from this service. The new times even make Day trips in either city a much more appealing option. Here's a recent article about it and they have a PDF showing what the new timetable will look like!

https://seattletransitblog.com/2017/...d-of-the-year/
Do you know if the 10 minute reduction excludes the current point defiance bypass and Tacoma Trestle projects? That is, after these projects are done will the trip be even shorter? See fact sheet.

Imagine if Portland/Vancouver was able to build a decent commuter bridge across the Columbia as represented in the Common Sense Alternative.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 11:23 PM

Yeah the 10 minutes will be after Point Defiance.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
Well it's finally about to happen. All of the Amtrak related projects between Portland and Seattle are basically done and by this fall, the trip will be reduced by 10 minutes to a reasonable 3hr 20mn trip time AND there will be two new daily round trip trains added. Great news for those who can benefit from this service. The new times even make Day trips in either city a much more appealing option. Here's a recent article about it and they have a PDF showing what the new timetable will look like!

https://seattletransitblog.com/2017/...d-of-the-year/
excellent news! It isn't HSR but incremental improvement is better than no improvement. It will be interesting to follow if ridership and on-time performance improve as well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:21 PM
Never Dell

I'm looking forward to the improved service. Amtrak was already my favorite route from Seattle to Portland. Usually this is business trips, as my company's offices are a mile from each end.

As for the Puget Sound view, we have views like that every day (both cities) so I won't miss it. Speed and reliability are the priorities, along with the ability to wander over for a beer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Cascades to Bypass Pt. Defiance Dec. 18th

In August Frank reported that “by the end of the year” the Pt. Defiance Bypass would open to Cascades trains, shaving 10 minutes off the trip to Portland and allowing a 13% increase in on-time arrivals. WSDOT is also using this occasion to deploy its new locomotives on two daily round trips to Portland. Now we have a date: WSDOT announced that service on the bypass would begin on December 18th.

The changes were funded by the Obama-era stimulus. There will be minor adjustments to the Eugene-Portland schedule to better accommodate through trips.

Now riders have more options for holiday trips to Portland. You can find the full timetable here.
...via Seattle Transit Blog.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 9:52 PM
A before E

That is great news, will this bypass be shared with freight trains as well?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 10:39 PM

Yes, but only infrequently by Tacoma Rail. It won't be used for mainline traffic by BNSF/UP.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:49 PM

As someone who travels to Tacoma/Seattle 1-2 times per year on Amtrak Cascades, I'm jazzed about the upcoming improvements, even though I'll miss the route's most scenic stretch. Moving the Tacoma station from its current uninviting location on the fringe of the industrial area to Freighthouse Square is an especially welcome change, with access to Tacoma Link literally right outside the door, not to mention the enjoyably quirky food court (I recommend Paya Thai Fish & Chips).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:07 PM
A before E

In Tacoma, I recommend Bella's Pizza in downtown. Always one of my favorite stops, though it has been several years since I was last in downtown Tacoma.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 5:37 PM
Registered Ugly

Amtrak derailed in the inaugural run down the newly created bypass. Looks awful.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-near-olympia/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:07 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...rtland_to.html

Quote:
Bullet train from Portland to Vancouver, B.C.? Oregon, Washington, Canada talking
Updated 3:19 PM; Posted 11:03 AM
By Andrew Theen atheen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Imagine stepping on a train in Portland at noon and stepping off about two hours later in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Passengers would whiz past Seattle in less than an hour.

Oregon, Washington and British Columbia governments are hoping to take that far-flung vision and turn it into a reality by 2035. High-level transportation officials from each will meet Tuesday for a second discussion this year about what a so-called ultra-high-speed rail line connecting the three cities would look like.

The rail discussion is in its infancy, but the governments hope to work with private companies to set the groundwork for bullet trains in what they are calling the "Cascadia megaregion." Government, business and academic leaders are hosting the annual Cascadia Innovation Corridor conference in Vancouver this week.
...(continues)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 5:39 AM
A before E

Yes please, this would be a major step forward in really linking the major cities of Cascadia together making it even easier to do business in them.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:10 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...stainable.html

Quote:
Report: High-speed trains between Vancouver, Seattle and Portland would be ‘cost-effective,’ transformative, sustainable
Today 10:51 AM
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive

An ultra-high-speed train connecting Portland, Seattle and Vancouver is more than a feasible way to address growing congestion concerns between the three Pacific Northwest cities, according to a new report, it’s a sustainable, practical, safe and cost-effective transportation option that would also supercharge the Cascadia economy.

That’s according to a 400-page report released by Washington’s Department of Transportation outlining the business case for building an estimated 310-mile passenger rail line. Consultant WSP and other firms conducted the business case study. Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and Microsoft all paid for the report.

The report is the latest in a drumbeat of discussions between Oregon, Washington, Canadian and regional business leaders. Planners estimate a rail line could move passengers between Portland and Seattle in less than an hour, which also is the estimated travel time between Seattle and Vancouver. Trains would hit top speeds of roughly 250 miles per hour at various points.

If built, the train is projected to draw as many as 3 million one-way trips from the outset, and rake in as much as $250 million in fare revenue by 2040 as well. Consultants say those estimates are “conservative.” Projections put the construction costs anywhere from $24 billion to $42 billion with rail service beginning by 2035.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:10 PM

And the landing page for the report if you'd like to read it: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/planning/st...-case-analysis

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:50 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
And the landing page for the report if you'd like to read it: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/planning/st...-case-analysis
This is finally sounding very realistic and will be a major advancement for the Pacific Northwest....unless you ask any KGW commenters on Facebook, they all seem to think this will be a "boondoggle."

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:31 PM

if the highspeed rail just stops in downtown portland then thats only a small percentage of oregon that could use the hsr (if you use the hsr to replace a airplane). downtown portland is next to the washington border, i could see why a lot of people here would think its a boondoggle. people in downtown portland can easily get to seattle.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:22 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
if the highspeed rail just stops in downtown portland then thats only a small percentage of oregon that could use the hsr (if you use the hsr to replace a airplane). downtown portland is next to the washington border, i could see why a lot of people here would think its a boondoggle. people in downtown portland can easily get to seattle.
Getting the three major cities connected in the PNW should be the first priority, once that is done, then extending it to other places including down the Willamette Valley makes sense. This would also open up the possibility for a commuter rail line running down the Willamette Valley as well.

As of right now, it is impossible to get from downtown Portland to downtown Seattle in an hour, if this were to happen it would be a game changer.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:32 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
Roughly 40% of Oregon's population lives in the portland metropolitan area. I would hardly call that a "small" percentage.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:29 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Roughly 40% of Oregon's population lives in the portland metropolitan area. I would hardly call that a "small" percentage.
More specifically, 46.7% of the state lives in the Portland metro. I knew it was high but never realized it was that high.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
One hour between Seattle and Portland? It’s possible
A Cascadia ultra-high-speed system would connect Vancouver, B.C., Seattle and Portland (and more) with an integrated transportation network that provides safe, efficient, reliable and affordable travel. Depending on traffic slow downs, a trip between Seattle and Portland can take nearly four hours by car, and a flight takes at least three hours with boarding and security. By high-speed rail, or other emerging high-speed technology, the trip would reliably take one hour at speeds of up to 250 miles per hour...
Continue reading at the Seattle Times...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure