HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PVN Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hanoi Skyscraper Diagram

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 5:54 PM

Seems to me like a representation of the triumph of capitalism over communism, as all of these developing nations build supertalls for the first time in decades because of a free market.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 3:30 PM

Well.. there's a good news and a bad news, good news is that yes this tower will be build for sure. It has been confirmed, but the bad news is that it'll only have 79 floors instead of the planned 102 floors. Also yes, the design of it has been chosen.

Official design of the PVN tower by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects Company

With winning plans, PVC will be given priority in talks to sign a contract in order of First, Second, Third. Mr.Vu Duc Thuan, General Director of PVC, said PVN Tower project will be adjusted down to 79 storeys in comparision with originally planned as 102 stories. The project is designed to withstand earthquakes level 7th. Total capital investment of 600 million USD and won't use sources from State budget and Vietnam National Oil and Gas group.

Second Prize: Fender Katsalidis Architects (FKA) - Australia

Third Prize: PCIC - Codinachs (Spain) and Nikken Sekkei Co. - Japan.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:05 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Seems like they went with the most conservative of the bunch. I much rather prefer the Codinachs and Nikken Sekkei proposal. Much more iconic, if a little bit Dubai-ish. Though the Pelli-Clarke-Pelli design will certainly be a graceful landmark.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 4:50 AM
New Yorker for life

The design of the tower itself is not bad, but I just don't like all of these towers surrounded by so much open space and large, lowrise structures. For me, skyscrapers need to be built on actual urban streets. I may be old school like that, but it just misses the point, becoming apart from everything else.

Quote:
Ironically, this version actually looks taller than the version in the earlier renderings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:18 PM
BANNED

I disagree. I prefer skyscrapers built in areas of open land not on crowded urban streets. The skyline effect does not change too much. You can keep your streets more open and more pleasant without the narrow canyon effect.

Also, with large open lots out on their own, you can really build tall without nimbies and other hassles.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:58 PM
Heavy User

^wow that is definitely a minority opinion. It's inefficient at the very least. I guess we can agree to disagree on whether canyons are better looking but in terms of efficiency suburban skyscrapers are far behind their more integrated cousins.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The design of the tower itself is not bad, but I just don't like all of these towers surrounded by so much open space and large, lowrise structures. For me, skyscrapers need to be built on actual urban streets. I may be old school like that, but it just misses the point, becoming apart from everything else.
agreed with this

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:10 AM

Yeah, I have to agree with Nyguy.
Skyscrapers work best in a downtown area with STREET LIFE. Otherwise, you wind up with the issues of the 50's American public housing complexes. It seem like there are a lot of "Mcskyscrapers" proposed or being built in Asia, on relatively large sites with otherwise useless lawns. Are they used or do they have signs reading "Keep off of the Grass."

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 4:16 AM

Have to agree with NYguy on this, it's a pretty awkward position to place the darn tall thing in the middle of low flat neighborhoods.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 4:32 AM

I agree that China has sort of is going the way America went through in the 50s, minus parking garages. The designs themselves look awesome but really detatched from the cities that surround them. Especially without mass transportation integrated into the buildings, I suspect they'll become less desirable in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhuynh View Post
Third Prize: PCIC - Codinachs (Spain) and Nikken Sekkei Co. - Japan.
The Pelli Design looks nice, but this one looks kick-ass! Definitely would have become a personal favorite if they had chose it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals