HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:52 PM
Illustrator, editor

Halmstad – Halland’s largest city

Last weekend I visited Halmstad, the largest city of Halland, that is bordering Skåne to the south. It is also my birthtown, but I only lived there for the first year in my life, and only visited Halmstad a few time as grown up, so it was interesting to see how things have changed. It took a bit over one hour to drive to Halmstad from Malmö. Halmstad is a city we don’t see too often on these forums and I will try to make the most extensive Halmstad thread ever!

Halmstad has about 57 000 inhabitants and is currently the 20th largest city in Sweden. It is situated by the sea and the creek Nissan is flowing right through the city center, that is filled with renovated old buildings and pedestrian streets. Many small houses in Danish style has been preserved, there are several open-air restaurants and the streets are crowded with people summertime. Unfortunately the city is pretty empty in the winter. In the outskirts there are both modern highrises and typical Swedish residential areas from the 30s. The small mountain Galgberget is bordering the city center to the north and has great views over the city as well as a museum with old houses. We also visited Tylösand, a wealthy suburb just west of Halmstad.

PART 1:

The trip to Halmstad:

The end of Hallandsåsen, after the ridge you enter Halland to the north and leave Skåne.

Me driving, close to Halmstad.

Just before you enter Halmstad, there are pines on both sides of the highway.

Eurostop, a mixed hotel/gas station/shopping/fastfood complex from 1991. There are 4 Eurostops in Sweden and they are all built in almost similar style.

My friend climbed the stairs of Eurostop´s Quality Hotel just to film from the top!

Quality Hotel is the second tallest highrise in Halmstad. It has 15 floors and is 49 m tall.

Andersberg is a commie block area that you see when you enter Halmstad from the south. It is known as a pretty rough area with many problems, but many houses have been rebuilt with only the core left, like Nya Terrasshusen on the picture.

The city feels pretty big when you enter from Laholmsvägen, with trees and a tall building.

The building is Trade Center, Halland’s tallest building. It is an office building belonging to Halmstads högskola (university). It is 73.5 m tall and has 24 floors. It is also the tallest building between Malmö and Göteborg.

It was built in 1988.

The sculpture at Trade Center.

It is possible to just walk inside and take the elevator to the top floor. Of course we did. Views from the 24th floor:

Andersberg in front of Eurostop, where we were before.

Note the factory in the middle of the forest.

The entrance hall of Trade Center.

Opposite Trade Center is this weird black glass building.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:53 PM
Illustrator, editor

PART 2:

Just before entering downtown, we passed these charmy houses.

Hotell Vinslottet, just next to the castle.

Nicolai Church is the landmark of Halmstad.

A ship, one of two located at Nissan river, right in the center of Halmstad. A jazz band was playing on the boat.

Halmstad Slott (Castle). It was built as a pleasure palace for Christian IV, king of Denmark (Halland was part of Denmark then) and residence to Poul Huitfelt. It was originally a farm that was rebuilt to a castle in 1615. The style is known as Christian IV renaissance, more reminiscent of Danish countryhouses than of a royal palace. In modern times it has become the residence of the governor of Halland.

The bridge over Nissan with Immanuelskyrkan in the background.

These tall silos, belonging to Viking Malt, can look a bit like skyscrapers with a little imagination...

The ships.

Halmstad Slott, the ship and a flower garden just on the bank of Nissan.

Immanuelskyrkan, a church with a café in its groundfloor.

The river bank of Nissan with the fountain in front of St Nikolai Kyrka.

A Picasso sculpture, yes it’s true, called Woman’s head“.

It was erected in 1971.

The new library building was opened in 2006 and is built in glass. The building hangs over the river of Nissan. It reminds a bit of Malmö stadsbibliotek. Its shape was drawn after the trees that stand on the ground.

Looking towards Stora Torg with Gallerian to the left.

The new area called Nissastrand with the library in front of new residences of the riverbank.

Stora Torg, the main square of Halmstad, is characterized by St Nikolas Church, a great sculpture fountain and the vegetable market thas has been there on holidays since I was little. There are also department stores around the square.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:54 PM
Illustrator, editor

Part 3 will follow soon...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:36 PM
Illustrator, editor

PART 3:

Rock and metal is very popular music in Halmstad. There seems to be a large underground scene.

Carl Milles fountain “Europa och tjuren“ from 1926. Another copy of “Europa on the bull“ is located somewhere in Tennessee, USA.

The motive has its roots in Greece mythology, where Zeus, in a shape of a bull, abducts princess Europa.

Rådhuset, The Town Hall of Halmstad. It consists of an old part from 1938 and a modern part from 1982. The old part is definately more preferable.

St Nikolai Kyrka (St Nicholas Church) stand right at Stora Torg. At a height of 62m to the spire, it is the tallest building in Halmstad’s city center, and the city’s tallest building between 1490 and 1988. When completed it was completed, Halmstad was part of the Danish province of Halland. It is one of the few buildings that survived the large fire in 1619.

The beginning of Storgatan, the longest and nicest of several pedestrian streets. Beginning from Stora Torg.

The trendy stores at Storgatan.

A yard that has been modernized with a large Espresso House, boutiques and a glass elevator shaft.

The yard is located between Storgatan and Köpmansgatan and has a gate on each side.

Kirsten Munks Hus from around 1620. Munk was Christian IV:s consort.

Its green glazed brick facade is very nice.

A display window in Munk’s house has a faked electric guitar in the same style as the house.

To the left is Gastons, a trendy restaurant where we had diner. Pretty good location and food, but very slow service. To the right is Vattenporten.

Vattenporten is one of the grandest building along Storgatan.

Another historic building on Storgatan.

Looking towards Norre Port from 1610, that leads to the city park.
It was once a part of the city’s fortress and is one of the few preserved city gates in Sweden.

Röda Kvarn (red mill), a cinema in classical style at Lilla Torg.

Lilla Torg (little square), looking towards Vattenporten. An exotic view with the palms and open-air restaurants.

Köpmansgatan.

The tower belongs to a marketplace building, that formerly was a fire department.

The TV building at Lilla Torg.

Overview of Lilla Torg. Fattighuset is the name of the building to the right of the tower. That means “poor man’s house“ despite it looks all but poor today. It was renovated in 1997 and hosts several craftsmen that have their workshops and both sell and manufacture their stuff in this building.

Looking towards Galgberget, the green “gallows mountain“ that looks over the city, just north of downtown. It used to be an execution place until the mid 19th century. Wood was planted here in the 1860s. Galgberget is actually an esker, not a mountain.

A beautiful green lane in Mickedala right at the foot of Galgberget.

The stairs up from to Galgberget, where I haven’t been since I was about 4 years old.

Hallandsgården is an open air museum at Gallows mountain. Just like at Kulturen in Lund, there are very old wellpreserved houses in typical red wood Swedish style, of those some have been moved to Hallandsgården from other places in Halland. Hallandsgården was founded in 1925 and has about a dozen houses.

At this stone, we first thought there stood „666“ but it probably is „1666“.

The windmill of Hallandsgården.

The nice open-air café at Hallandsgården, where we sat down and had coffee for a while.

Hörsåsstugan was built in the beginning of the 18th century.

Hörsåsstugan is Hallandsgården’s oldest house.

Galgberget has very nice vegetation and many events are held there.

The observation tower on the top of Galgberget. It was completed in 1897 and is today a residence for a woman who lives there and she displays her paintings in the stairway that leads to the top.

It is free to get up to the top of Galgberget’s observation tower. During WWII a canon was placed on its top.

The stairway is very narrow.

PART 4:

Views from the narrow top of Galgberget’s observation tower:

To the south: Nissastrand, Andersberg and Trade Center.

Trade Center again.

City center and the harbour.

Panorama from the south (left) to the city center in the middle and the harbour to the right.

Lilla Torg can be seen in the middle and the beach in the distance.

The stairs up to Galgberget.

Pines at Galgberget.

The horizon.

The shadow of the tower.

These kind of houses, just between Galgberget and downtown, are typical for Halmstad.

A wedding was going on in this church.

A very grand residential building.

Krönleins, formerly Appeltofftska bryggeriet, is the brewery that make among others the popular beer Three Hearts, Halmstadcider and Cuba-Cola, Sweden’s first cola brand.

Vallgatan (Bank Street) is a charmy street behind the brewery.

Hantverksgatan towards the roundabout.

Oldfashioned shops in central Halmstad.

Brogatan, seen from Stora Torg. As you can see, you can even buy kebab in Halmstad.

Kyrkogatan. The halftimbered houses of Broktorpsgården from the 17th century.

Hantverksgatan.

A tourist train at the roundabout at Karl XI:s väg.

Rotorp, a typical residential district in west Halmstad, where my grandmother lived when I was little. It has changed a bit since then.

PART 5:

Halmstad Äventyrsland (Adventureland), amusement park in American style in Söndrum in the west edge of Halmstad.

Halfway between Halmstad and Tylösand.

Tylösand is a flashy suburb, 8 km from Halmstad.

It is famous for its popular beach, expensive residence, its spa and golf.

An unusual minigolf course.

An unusual tower in oriental style.

The leaning lifeguard tower of Tylösand.

The beach of Tylösand.

It also has rocks.

Golf course.

Approaching Hallandsåsen from the North, into Skåne.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:13 PM

My 2 oldest children live in the south-west part of Halmstad called Grötvik.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 6:53 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Not sure if I've ever been to Halmstad. Not enough to make an impression, I know that.

Halmstad does seem to me to be the natural place for the proposed HSR to branch into a Stockholm line and a Göteborg/Oslo line, bur we'll see how the smaller towns inland (who wont get stations anyway) work the system...
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 11:15 PM

On Halmstad, Sweden

Judging by the photo thread Halmstad is beautiful. One can easily see the sublime aesthetics of the architecture in general, the magical ambiance of the place, the atmoshpere, liveliness, funny style of the streets. One would have naively thought that Scandinavian, and especially Swedish towns and cities are bleak, boring and rigid, but in fact the 180 ° opposite is true. I really think that I've never seen much like it during my Europe-wide trips. Neither in Italy, nor Spain, Austria or Holland. Halmstad beats the world. Truely unmatched beauty.
One thing is unclear though.

The owner of the photography tells us that just near the "entrance" of the city there is a "pretty rough area with many problems" - the quarter is called Andersberg. Hmm, this sounds weird. The caption below the picture sadly lefts all of us in the dark: what, and especially WHO precisely makes this area "rough" and "problematic". One cannot easily figure this out on their own. The eskimos perhaps - one can never know? So a little help would come in handy.

Otherwise, as I said, Halmstad must be among the top 5 places, in its catagory, in Europe.

Greetings with love,

Gábor Fränkl
London, United Kingdom

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 2:28 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborFrankl View Post
On Halmstad, Sweden

Judging by the photo thread Halmstad is beautiful. One can easily see the sublime aesthetics of the architecture in general, the magical ambiance of the place, the atmoshpere, liveliness, funny style of the streets. One would have naively thought that Scandinavian, and especially Swedish towns and cities are bleak, boring and rigid, but in fact the 180 ° opposite is true. I really think that I've never seen much like it during my Europe-wide trips. Neither in Italy, nor Spain, Austria or Holland. Halmstad beats the world. Truely unmatched beauty.
One thing is unclear though.

The owner of the photography tells us that just near the "entrance" of the city there is a "pretty rough area with many problems" - the quarter is called Andersberg. Hmm, this sounds weird. The caption below the picture sadly lefts all of us in the dark: what, and especially WHO precisely makes this area "rough" and "problematic". One cannot easily figure this out on their own. The eskimos perhaps - one can never know? So a little help would come in handy.

Otherwise, as I said, Halmstad must be among the top 5 places, in its catagory, in Europe.

Greetings with love,

Gábor Fränkl
London, United Kingdom
Nice that you liked Halmstad, it is a nice place to visit summertime, but I don't think it comes even near the small cities in southern Europe. Many houses of the old town have been torn down to make way for ugly 60s blocks in most Swedish cities. I think more atmosphere have been preserved in for example Eastern European cities.
About the area Andersberg: There have been some shootings and but I guess it is not that bad if you compare it to the worst areas of Stockholm, Malmö and Göteborg - or really big cities like London and Berlin. The picture of the area is based on the news and what people who live in Halmstad says about it, but it is not so easy to know what is the truth I you haven't lived there of course.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe