HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 7:50 PM

When I walked by yesterday it looked like they had driven the first pile into the harbour as well.

ps I can see my house from that cam :p

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 8:43 PM
we built this city

It is amazing to think that this development will be taller than the Waterton towers... I'm extremely excited for that lot to be filled.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 10:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, it looks like a short building but that is only because it is so long. I guess the roofline will be similar to that of Salter's Gate and about twice the height of the north part of Bishop's Landing.

As I've said before, if the whole development goes up I expect it to have a pretty big impact. It will make that end of the downtown seem a lot bigger, pull together the waterfront, build on retail at that end of Lower Water St (which could also see a bit more development with the brewery tower), etc.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:12 AM

Rumour has it, add this project to the list not proceeding in 2009

Dam global economic's have hurt a lot of projects it seems

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 3:25 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Rumour has it, add this project to the list not proceeding in 2009

Dam global economic's have hurt a lot of projects it seems
Where did you hear that rumour? The preps going on around the site would say otherwise.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Where did you hear that rumour? The preps going on around the site would say otherwise.
I haven't heard any rumours about the development itself, however don't read too much into the activity on site now. This is just WDC's commitment to the boardwalk extension on that section. It is part of the agreement to develop the property, but is separate from the actual buildings themselves.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:43 PM

From the Coast:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
Keep in mind that this is only the completion of the boardwalk and according to Colin MacLean of the Waterfront Development Corp it in no way is tied to the development of the land. According to an article in the Coast "Millennium Corp, the developer, is still wrangling with Waterfront Development over terms and trying to secure financing"

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Industry people

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 5:06 PM

That news has just ruined my week! This is my favorite project in town and I was desperately hoping it would break ground in the early spring

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, the boardwalk extension does not mean that the rest of the project will proceed immediately.

That being said, there's a lot of doubt right now about every project that does not have financing already. We just have to wait and see.. nobody really knows what things will look like for the duration of 2009.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, the boardwalk extension does not mean that the rest of the project will proceed immediately.

That being said, there's a lot of doubt right now about every project that does not have financing already. We just have to wait and see.. nobody really knows what things will look like for the duration of 2009.
Thats the sad reality of what we are facing in this day in age. These problems (financing) were a being faced during the 1st & 2nd qtr of 2008, and now have gotten very tough.

I would expect that close to 90% of the proposed projects which wish to start in 2009 will be held till things get better. There is at least some positive news for the ones with development agreements in that as soon as its possible they will start, albeit there development agreements are not short term agreements.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 7:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Saying that nothing will happen in 2009 means making a prediction 13 months into the future, which beyond what anybody knows at this point.

I suspect that Halifax will do a lot better than a lot of other cities over the medium term since it had relatively little speculation and has a fairly solid local economy that tends to be resistant to downturns.

It is too bad they didn't move forward sooner with this development. It was approved some time ago. I wonder who is responsible for the delay? The WDCL?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 11:42 PM

Here are a couple photos I took earlier today, it's kinda hard to get a good angle on the work being done out on the water, the best view would be from the water, but i think it is a little cold to take my laser out for a sail!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 10:34 PM

cool pics!!!

even though this is only the boardwalk portion for now, I'm super excited that this is moving forward

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 4:50 PM

I was out this morning and they are definitely making some progress, i had no idea the pilings were that long.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 5:24 PM

^Looking good

Does anybody know about how far the land will be extended out in the end?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^Looking good

Does anybody know about how far the land will be extended out in the end?
It will go out only as far as it is out now. They have already strated the section that runs north.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 5:11 PM

Just walked by there again, they are definitely headed north, about half of the decking is down on the portion that heads out from shore into the harbour, seem like it is being completed as they move along. Looks like good progress.

On a side note, while inquiring about parking in the area I called WDCL who manage the parking in that lot and they said spots are only available till june as that lot is due for development. Not sure if that is evidence that they will be proceeding, but if they had offered me parking for a longer term it would drfinitely indicate plans were on hold.

Cheers

BZ

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post

On a side note, while inquiring about parking in the area I called WDCL who manage the parking in that lot and they said spots are only available till june as that lot is due for development. Not sure if that is evidence that they will be proceeding, but if they had offered me parking for a longer term it would drfinitely indicate plans were on hold.

Cheers

BZ
that's an excellant tidbit of news Zulu! this is my favorite project in town and I have my fingers crossed it will breakgound in 09

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 12:00 AM

From what i've been hearing Medjuk has also been divesting himself of properties.... This could be viewed as he really wants this building built and is doing what needs to be done to get the financing in place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth