HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
That would indicate about 3.5 FAR/32 storeys = 0.109 (10.9% lot coverage, since 3.5 storeys would be 100% lot coverage). When I look at it, the lot coverage looks like it is at least 20%. I don't want to be contrary, but it seems like it is at least double 3.5 FAR.
It's a 76,000 SF lot, and the floor plates measure out to about 7,500 SF. Granted, we know that much of the vacant part of the lot will be developed soon, so the FAR will definitely increase. Just an illustration of the fact that, depending on how the lot is used, FAR can be deceptively low.

Quote:
In any case, as others have indicated, there will be areas that are higher FAR than 3.5.
Oh for sure. I'd expect buildings like the Roy and the Maple are closer to an FAR of 15 or 20.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:47 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It's a 76,000 SF lot, and the floor plates measure out to about 7,500 SF. Granted, we know that much of the vacant part of the lot will be developed soon, so the FAR will definitely increase. Just an illustration of the fact that, depending on how the lot is used, FAR can be deceptively low.
What is the source for the lot and floor areas that you gave? I will accept that you are right, but it is always a good idea to give a source of ones facts so that it can't be questioned.

At this point there are many unknowns about the FAR definition, such as, will there be bonus FAR as with bonus height, what floor area is included in the FAR (I assume underground parking is excluded, does it include hallways in the calculations), and is the lot size defined as the entire lot size or are there exclusions (for example, are sidewalks excluded).

Last edited by fenwick16; May 24, 2017 at 10:09 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:55 AM

The lot size is from Viewpoint. To be perfectly accurate it's 76,879 SF.

I have building footprints in GIS from HRM. Admittedly, I think most of them are traced from aerial photography, so I wouldn't be too surprised if there's an error of +/- 10% or so.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:38 PM

If anyone is interested about the FAR thing it looks like HRM is holding a public lecture on June 1st from 6 to 8pm in Ondaatje Hall at Dalhousie University.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth